- For strategies on mining Hellstone, see Guide:Mining Techniques#Mining Hellstone.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in the Underworld. Mining Hellstone requires at least a Nightmare Pickaxe, Deathbringer Pickaxe, or better. It can be crafted into Hellstone Bars at a Hellforge, which requires 3 Hellstone and 1 Obsidian. It emits a faint glow when placed, and releases a half-tile of lava when mined in the Underworld. Hellstone tools are the most powerful ones aquireable in pre - hardmode
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on players who touch it. An Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Ankh Shield, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, or Obsidian Skin Potion will allow players to touch Hellstone without incurring damage.
- The Spelunker buff does not light up Hellstone, however Hellstone glows on its own, or with the Dangersense buff.
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- 1.1: Hellstone can now be destroyed by dynamite or bombs while in Hardmode. Rarity changed from White to Green.
- 1.0.6: Hellstone no longer emits light, and now releases lava when mined, but only in The Underworld.
- 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Nightmare Pickaxe to gather.
- Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.