|Tooltip||Summons a block of ice|
|Buy / Sell||1 / 20|
The Ice Rod is a Hardmode magic weapon that auto-fires shards of ice. The weapon is unique in that, if the point targeted is free of any blocks or placed background items, a solid temporary "ice block" (translucent, but not slippery) is formed in midair, at the point clicked, which lasts for five seconds before shattering. These ice blocks can create temporary platforms for standing or grappling, and also cast a dim, flickering light. The Ice Rod is available from the Wizard for 1 Platinum.
The point clicked must be unoccupied in order to form an ice block. If the space clicked is occupied, either by blocks or background objects, the shard acts as an ordinary projectile, continuing (without being affected by gravity) until it hits an enemy or other foreground object, where it shatters and inflicts magic damage. Clicking an existing ice block from a previous firing will cause your next shard to pass through the existing ice block, which creates unique shielding possibilities during combat — as while you can fire through your ice shield, enemies cannot move or fire through them (with the exception of Worms, Casters, Bosses, and other enemies that can attack through blocks).
- The temporary "block of ice" summoned by the Ice Rod is unrelated to the Ice Block inventory item found naturally in Snow Biomes. Summoned ice blocks cannot be collected or placed, and are not slippery.
- Upon shattering, summoned ice blocks release illuminated sparks that travel down through blocks, making the Ice Rod useful for discovering ores and caves.
- Regular blocks can be placed adjacent to the created ice blocks, which can prove useful in building floating structures, as one need not build a temporary connection from the ground to the building site.
- Since the ice blocks created can be grappled to with a Grappling Hook or similar device, the Ice Rod can be used to get to the top of the world and other high areas, such as a Floating Island, more easily. You could also simply make "stairs" of ice, but it would take a bit longer.
- The Ice Rod can be used with Wings to repeatedly reset flight time in midair, by casting and grappling or landing on ice blocks during flight.
- 1.1: Introduced.