|Tooltip||Summons a block of ice|
|Buy / Sell||50 / 10|
|Internal Item ID: 496|
|Internal Tile ID: 127 (Summoned Block)|
The Ice Rod is a Hardmode magic weapon that auto-fires shards of ice. The weapon is unique in that if the point targeted is free of any blocks or placed background items, a solid temporary "ice block" is formed in midair (translucent, slippery, and glowing), at the point clicked, which lasts for five seconds before shattering. These ice blocks can create temporary platforms for standing or grappling, and also cast a dim, flickering light. The Ice Rod is available from the Wizard for 50 Gold.
The point clicked must be unoccupied in order to form an ice block. If the space clicked is occupied, either by blocks or background objects, the shard acts as an ordinary projectile (unaffected by gravity), continuing until it hits an enemy or other foreground object, where it shatters and inflicts magic damage. Clicking an existing ice block from a previous cast will cause the next shard to pass through the existing ice block, which creates unique shielding possibilities during combat — as while you can fire through your ice shield, enemies cannot move or fire through them (with the exception of Worms, Casters, Bosses, and other enemies that can attack through blocks).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The temporary "block of ice" summoned by the Ice Rod is unrelated to the Ice Block inventory item found naturally in Snow Biomes. Summoned ice blocks cannot be collected or placed, and break automatically about 15 seconds after summoning.
- Upon shattering, summoned ice blocks release illuminated sparks that travel down through blocks, making the Ice Rod useful for discovering ores and caves.
- Regular blocks can be placed adjacent to the created ice blocks, which can prove useful in building floating structures, as one need not build a temporary connection from the ground to the building site.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Ice Rod can be used with Wings to repeatedly reset flight time in midair, by casting a block of ice beneath your feet as you start falling. The flight timer will be reset as soon as you land on the block of ice.
- Since the ice blocks created can be grappled to with a Grappling Hook or similar device, the Ice Rod can be used to get to the top of the world and other high areas, such as a Floating Island, more easily. You could also simply make "stairs" of ice, but it would take a bit longer.