|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
|Tooltip||Summons a block of ice|
|Buy / Sell||50 / 10|
|Internal Item ID: 496|
|Internal Tile ID: 127 (Summoned Block)|
The Ice Rod is a Hardmode magic weapon that auto-fires blocks of ice. The weapon is unique in that if the point targeted is free of any blocks or placed background items, a solid temporary "ice block" is formed in midair (translucent, slippery, and glowing), at the point clicked, which lasts for 15 seconds before shattering. These ice blocks can create temporary platforms for standing or grappling, and also cast a dim, flickering light. The Ice Rod is available from the Wizard for 50 .
The point clicked must be unoccupied in order to form an ice block. If the space clicked is occupied, either by blocks or background objects, the block acts as an ordinary projectile (unaffected by gravity), continuing until it hits an enemy or other foreground object, where it shatters and inflicts magic damage. Clicking an existing ice block from a previous casting will cause the next shard to pass through the existing ice block, which creates unique shielding possibilities during combat — as while you can fire through your ice shield, enemies cannot move or fire through them (with the exception of Worms, Casters, Bosses, and other enemies that can attack through blocks).
The Ice Rod's best possible Modifier is Mythical. However, Mystic may be more useful for mobility and construction uses due to its decreased mana cost.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The temporary "block of ice" summoned by the Ice Rod is unrelated to the Ice Block inventory item found naturally in Snow Biomes. Summoned ice blocks cannot be collected or placed, and break automatically about 15 seconds after summoning.
- Upon shattering, summoned ice blocks release illuminated sparks that travel down through blocks, making the Ice Rod useful for discovering ores and caves.
- Regular blocks can be placed adjacent to the created ice blocks, which can prove useful in building floating structures (especially at higher elevations such as in Space), as one need not build a temporary connection from the ground to the building site.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Ice Rod can be used with Wings to repeatedly reset flight time in midair, by casting a block of ice beneath your feet as you start falling. The flight timer will be reset as soon as you land on the block of ice.
- Since the ice blocks created can be grappled to with a Hook or similar device, the Ice Rod can be used to get to the top of the world and other high areas, such as a Floating Island, more easily. You could also simply make "stairs" of ice, but it would take a bit longer.
History[edit | edit source]
- Halved price.
- Increased block duration from 5 seconds to 15 seconds.
- Blocks are now slippery.
- Decreased mana usage from 7 to 6, and use time from 16 to 8.
- 1.1: Introduced.