- See also: Inventory cleaning.
An Inventory is a set of slots where items appear, or can be placed for storage.
- 1 Stacks
- 2 Main inventory
- 3 Notes
- 4 Storage item inventory
- 5 NPC inventory
- 6 Housing menu
- 7 History
Each slot in an inventory can contain multiples of the same item type; such a grouping is known as a "stack". Each item has its own maximum stack value per-slot, indicated on the item's wiki page via "Max Stack". The Max Stack for reusable weapons and tools is only 1 (with the exception of Light Discs (5) and Bananarangs (10)). For consumable items, the max stack is usually between 30 and 999. Individual items from a stack can be removed using the right-click button, which can be held down to continuously remove items from the stack, or the left mouse button can be used to remove the entire stack at once.
The player's main inventory can be viewed and modified by pressing the ESC key (default). This is where items the player has picked up will appear, and can be accessed for use or removed. Generally the term "Inventory" when used on its own refers to the main inventory.
The main inventory consists of the following slots:
Hotbar (10 slots)
The 10 hotbar slots comprise the top row of the main inventory, and are where the current useable items appear. Items placed in the hotbar can be used with a left mouse click (when the inventory is closed). You can change the selected item by either using the scroll wheel, clicking the item on the hotbar, or pressing the associated number key. Any item can be placed here; even items that are not useable can be placed here for storage. A lock at the left of the hotbar will prevent the player from accidentally clicking on a slot to select it.
Storage (40 slots)
Any item can be placed here. Items picked up will be placed here starting from the bottom-right.
Coins (4 slots)
Ammo (4 slots)
These slots are for storing ammunition. Ammunition can also be stored in other slots, but ammunition stored here will be used first, and ammunition items picked up will be placed here first. Only ammunition can be placed here. It is worth noting that Sand, Fallen Stars, Gel, and Wires can all be put in the Ammo slots, but if you put Wires in the Ammo slots, wires you pick up will start a new stack.
Shop (40 Slots)
This inventory is only present when you click on the 'shop' option on any NPC vendor, you can buy and sell items on this inventory but when you sell on the last slot you can sell infinite items.
Trash Can (1 slot)
- Not to be confused with the item.
The trash can slot is used for discarding unwanted items. Any item can be placed here. Once an item is placed here, it will remain there until another item is placed in the same slot (or the user quits the game). The newly placed item will then take the same slot, and the previous item will be discarded permanently.
Clothing (3 slots)
This is where helmet/shirt/pant items can be equipped. These slots are generally used for Armor. There is one slot for each part of the body. Only clothing items can be placed here.
Social (8 slots)
Vanity items can be placed here for a visual effect only. Armor and other items that normally provide functionality can also be placed in these slots, though they will have no effect other than appearance. Other than this, they function similarly to the clothing slots.
In the 1.2.3 update, 5 additional social slots were added to hold 'social accessories'. They work in an identical manner to the original social slots, overriding the visual appearance of the player, but providing no functionality.
Dye (8 slots)
Dye can be placed here to change the color of the worn Vanity/Armor in the corresponding slot. Certain items cannot be dyed, and therefore will not change in color. Some items will only change color if an intense or double dye (like Intense Rainbow dye or Blue and Silver dye) is placed in that slot.
Accessories (5 slots)
Accessories can be placed here. No other item can be placed on these slots.
- If all Hotbar and Storage slots are occupied, new items will not be picked up.
- Only items that appear in the main inventory will be available for Crafting.
- Objects in your inventory will carry over to other servers and worlds. This also includes equipped armor, coins in the coins slots, and ammo in the ammo slots.
- If you need more inventory room, you can move an item into the trash to hold it there for a little while. Be careful though, if you place another item over it in the trash or exit the game, you will lose the item. Also, picked up items can not be collected into the trash.
Storage item inventory
Storage items have 40 inventory slots where the player can find new items or store excess items.
NPCs who sell items each have their own 40-slot inventory where the items available for purchase are shown. Items sold to the NPC will also be in their inventory
The Housing menu allows you to check whether the houses you have built are suitable for use or not, as well as to manually appoint a house for a specific NPC. To access this menu click on the house icon in your inventory. There is no housing menu on the Mobile version.
To check whether a house is suitable for use, click on the "?" housing query mark and then click anywhere inside the house; you will receive a message indicating whether the house is suitable or not. If it is not suitable you can check the Home guide on this wiki to see what the house may be lacking.
Once a house is determined to be suitable you may assign an NPC to it by placing the corresponding NPC Flag in it. Note that only the flags of NPCs whose spawn conditions you have already met will appear - so for example when you first enter a new world only the Guide's NPC Flag is shown. NPC Flags for other NPCs will only be shown when you meet each of their spawn conditions.
When you first meet the spawn conditions for an NPC a random house will be assigned to him/her from your available empty suitable houses.
- 18.104.22.168: Fixed crafting exploit when you right click items in the inventory.
- 1.2.4: Fixed a bug where bad item stack sizes could cause the game to crash when saving. Fixed exploit where you could buy and sell stackable items for profit.
- Inventory Slots increased to 40 (Up from 30).
- Dye Slots introduced.
- Housing menu added to main inventory.
- Items that are housed in the main inventory can now be used without being placed in the hotbar if Autopause is off.
- Ammo slots and Trash slot added to main inventory.
- Inventory slots given unique colors based on which inventory is being viewed.
- Hotbar slots now show their respective shortcut key.
- Hotbar slots that have a ranged weapon on them will show the current used ammo count on them.
- Hotbar can now be locked by clicking on the padlock to the left.
- Right clicking on an accessory or a piece of armor in your inventory will auto-equip it.
- It is no longer possible to drop items through the spaces between boxes in the inventory.
- Newly obtained items will now be placed starting in the bottom right of inventory rather than the top left.
- Hotbar now shows the name of the selected item.
- Defense totals are now shown in inventory.
- 1.0.4: Added an option that will pause the game while opening your inventory in single player, called Autopause. It defaults to off.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Ambient objects • Attack Speed • Autoswing • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Mining Speed • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Multiplayer • Music • NPC drops • NPC Despawning • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Status messages • Storage • Title messages • Use time • Value • Velocity|