|Type||Boss – Slime|
|AI Type||King Slime AI|
|Damage||40 / 67|
|Max Life||2000 / 2800|
|Internal NPC ID: 50|
King Slime spawns under one of the following conditions:
- A player uses a Slime Crown.
- Slime Rain event. A certain number of Slimes are killed during the
- Randomly in the two outer thirds of the map (never in the center third).
As King Slime takes damage, it spawns additional ordinary Blue Slimes and will also appear to shrink in size. It will always drop one piece of Ninja clothes when defeated. When King Slime spawns, the status message "King Slime has awoken!" appears, and then once defeated, "King Slime has been defeated!"
King Slime is considered the easiest boss in the game, however, with his new teleporting ability added in 1.3, this matter is up for debate.
Random spawning[edit | edit source]
King Slime has a 1 in 300 chance of spawning in place of another slime if the following conditions are met:
- The player is located in the two outer thirds of the map (the far left or far right).
- Depth is above zero. It may spawn slightly below the surface, though, as the average ground level is higher than that.
- There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point (off-screen; see NPC spawning)
Slime Rain [edit | edit source]
If 150 Slimes are killed by players and/or summoned minions (lava and trap kills don't count) during the Slime Rain event, King Slime will spawn. Defeating the boss will end the event shortly after - if all players die, the boss will leave (except in single player where the boss will teleport itself to the new location of the player at respawn) and the event will continue for some time before ending on its own. Although killing the King Slime will end the event, it is not required, as the event will end naturally once it reaches its end (Between 9-15 in-game hours). If the King Slime has already been defeated on a world, it will only take 75 Slime kills to spawn the King Slime.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Slippery Shinobi • "Defeat King Slime, the lord of all things slimy."|
|Defeat King Slime for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While a large and resilient enemy, and Boss music plays while fighting it, King Slime is often regarded as a "side-boss" or "mini-boss" (though there is no official word on this from the developers). It differs from traditional bosses in the following ways:
- King Slime can be encountered regardless of the current level of game advancement.
- It is not a required step to advance the game further. Defeating it does not provide access to any characters, areas, or critical items (though the Slimy Saddle, Slime Hook, and Ninja armor can be useful if acquired early).
- King Slime does not travel or fire through blocks, which creates shielding or trapping possibilities that don't exist when battling most other bosses (though traveling too far from a trapped King Slime can cause him to teleport out).
- On the Desktop version, if the King Slime's target is unreachable, it will teleport near/on the player. This can be performed from any distance and prevents easily trapping the boss within a small area.
- A player can only summon the King Slime one at a time. Attempting a second spawning will not work, and will not consume the Slime Crown.
- On the Desktop version in expert mode, King Slime has a higher HP (2800) and summons Spiked Slimes along with normal slimes as he loses health.
- Goblin Scouts spawn in the same locations as the King Slime, so you'll know if you're in the right place if you encounter any. A Water Candle and/or the Battle Potion can speed up the process of encountering it.
- Note that King Slime itself does not drop any gel, but the blue Slimes it spawns do.
- This slime must be killed in order to get the Gelatin World Tour achievement.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- King Slime can be a good way to farm Gel, for Flamethrower ammo and Asphalt blocks.
- King Slime behaves exactly like a normal slime, except that he jumps much higher and farther, can teleport, and spawns other slimes as he takes damage.
- Piercing weapons can not only damage King Slime but kill the additional slimes it spawns.
- King Slime's absolute highest jump can clear a 17-block-high wall.
- Magic weapons work well, since the blue slimes it spawns drop Mana Stars, which refill 100 mana each.
- If you want to come across King Slime early on in the game, build your house near the edges of the world where he can spawn frequently.
- Spawning King Slime while in specific Hardmode areas using Slime Crowns can be a quick, easy way to farm for location-specific drops, such as Souls, Biome Keys, and Pirate Maps due to the sheer amount of blue Slimes spawned during the fight.
- An easy way to fight the King Slime is by putting platforms over an area, grapple on to the bottom of the platforms and use a ranged or magic weapon and shoot him with it as he won't fall through platforms.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It seems that the source of the ninja armor is from the ninja inside King Slime.
- The fact that King Slime managed to eat a ninja shows that he is dangerous, as ninjas are known for their agility and evasiveness.
History[edit | edit source]
- 184.108.40.206: Sprite updated to include a crown. New drops added.
- Now has an Expert Mode AI.
- Now teleports whenever stuck and when not in range of the player for over 5 seconds.
- Now spawns after the Slime Rain event.
- Now drops the Solidifier.
- 1.2.4: New drops added.
- 220.127.116.11: Now drops Slime Banner.
- 1.1: Can now be spawned using Slime Crown.
- Now floats in liquids and doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Only one King Slime may spawn at a time now.
- 1.0.4: Introduced.
| Slimes |
| Green • Blue ( Spiked ) • Red • Purple • Yellow • Black • Pinky • Mother • Baby|