The Lihzahrd Temple (also known as the Jungle Temple) is a Hardmode, post-Plantera structure that can be considered the Jungle's relatively small version of the Dungeon. Each generated world contains one Temple. It resembles a Mayan pyramid, though it is located deep in the Underground Jungle, and has no surface entrance.
Within the Temple are Trap-filled corridors leading down to a large room containing the Lihzahrd Altar, used to summon the Golem boss. Unlike the Dungeon, the Temple contains no naturally-placed light sources. The Lihzahrd Altar requires one Lihzahrd Power Cell to activate, several of which can be found in Lihzahrd Chests throughout the Temple.
In order to access the Temple, one must first defeat Plantera to get the Temple Key, used to open the Lihzahrd Door at the Temple's entrance. The Temple itself is constructed from Lihzahrd Bricks, which can only be mined with the Picksaw dropped by the Golem.
The Temple is filled with several types of Traps, including Flame Traps, Spear Traps, Spiked Ball Traps, and Super Dart Traps. Traps occur much more frequently in the Temple than in the Dungeon, and are far more damaging. They are activated by Lihzahrd Pressure Plates, which only respond to players. Like Dungeon traps, all Temple Traps, Pressure Plates, and Wires can be looted by the player for use in player-built Mechanisms.
|Enemies||Unique treasures||Unique drops|
|| From Lihzahrd Chests
| From Golem (continued):
| From terrain (continued):
- If you manage to enter the Temple before Plantera's defeat, or even before Hardmode, it still will function as it normally would, though Golem cannot be summoned.
- In worlds generated prior to patch 1.2, no Temple will be present, even after defeating Plantera. The Temple must be generated at world creation, and worlds generated prior to 1.2 did not include Temples.
- Even before entering Hardmode, Lihzahrds and Flying Snakes can spawn outside of the temple if you stay near thin walls. They pose a very high threat to ill-equipped players.
- The Lihzahrd Temple can be difficult to find, especially in a large world. If you're getting frustrated looking for it, you can use a map viewer to find it.
- One effective way of avoiding the traps in the Temple is to hold a wire related item (Wire Cutter, Wrench, Dart Traps, Pressure Plates, or any trap from inside the Temple) to see where the Pressure Plates are. This is extremely useful for ranged and magic players who don't have enough defense to survive the traps.
- Another effective way to getting rid of traps is to grapple to the top, light the current surrounding, and mine the traps (most are attached to the ceiling).
- Since none of the enemies nor their attacks can pass through walls (with the exception of Golem), it is possible to set up AFK farms.
- Each Temple is guaranteed to contain some Lihzahrd Power Cells in the Chests (roughly 4-9 on average). Farming the Golem is most easily accomplished by gathering Power Cells from Chests in newly-generated worlds, rather than waiting for Lihzahrds to drop them. Temples in newly-generated worlds are easily entered and looted with a Picksaw, but if you don't have one, Plantera will need to be defeated multiple times to accumulate Temple Keys for entry.
- Some useful weapons for traversing the Temple and its dense enemy spawns are the Magnet Sphere and Shadowbeam Staff for magic users, Chlorophyte ammo or Piranha Gun for ranged users, and Scourge of the Corruptor or Vampire Knives for melee users. All of these are effective with large groups of enemies or in closed spaces, without risking losing a lot of HP.
- Taking the traps in the temple can make very effective Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon arenas, or AFK farms.
- The Dangersense Potion is a godsend, as it illuminates all traps, spikes and buttons, allowing you to avoid a lot of pain.
- You can also use teleporters sold by the Steampunker to get inside of the temple but, the Golem cannot be summoned. You can use this to clear the temple of its traps an use it as an arena to kill plantera.
- The name "Lihzahrd" is a deliberate corruption of the word "lizard". The fact that lizards are the primary enemies of the temple is not a coincidence.
- 1.2.3: The Golem boss room in new worlds is now slightly larger.
- The world generator now checks to make sure a Lihzahrd Altar spawns inside the temple.
- 126.96.36.199: You can no longer teleport into the Lihzahrd (this is still possible as of 188.8.131.52 given Lihzahrd Walls are removed from target location).
- 184.108.40.206: Lihzahrd walls can be harvested.
- 220.127.116.11: The Chlorophyte Drill can no longer be used to destroy Lihzahrd blocks.
- 1.2: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|