List of known bugs
From Terraria Wiki
This page's purpose is to list all the current bugs players have come across. Most of the single-player bugs also apply to multiplayer.
- Sometimes crafting will result in two items for the resources of one. This occurs mainly in non-stackable items. Right-clicking the empty space in a shop window will consistently result in two copies of the next item crafted, and may be the reason it seems to happen randomly.
- Transferring items to the trash slot with Shift-Click still allows them to be used in crafting; however, they are not consumed in the process and can be taken out again. A player must take into account; however, it is easy to accidentally delete items that one would want to keep. This also works if the player is shopping at a merchant while standing within range of the appropriate crafting station; shift-clicking to sell items leaves the crafting menu unchanged. This effectively gives the player unlimited amounts of anything they can craft once. The player can then sell off their ingredients, craft the item, and then buy their ingredients back at no loss of gold.
- Weapons that are reforged will disappear if you use a language other than English.
- When smelting Meteorite bars, once 35 are in your inventory the menu auto-selects the Meteor Hamaxe to craft without prompting. (PS3)
- (Console specific; confirmed for Xbox 360 and PS3) Most items will not show up on the crafting interface, despite the character having the necessary ingredients. This bug can be mitigated by selecting the "Show Available" crafting option rather than "Show All," in which case the items will appear and can be crafted in the Crafting Interface.
- If a player uses host and play and has an item in a chest, they can take it from the chest and promptly disconnect. If playing single-player they will have the same item on them and in the chest (duplication process).
- If taking an accessory and placing it in/out of the slot while simultaneously clicking the Save and Exit button, it will duplicate the item upon re-entry. It is unclear how this works, and should be taken with extreme caution, as the effect is rare.
- If one has the Robe equipped and uses a weapon while jumping, the character's legs will appear to jut out from the sides of the robe.
- In rare cases, Shrines will have additional Gold Bricks, thereby removing the Chest.
- Placing a candle (or water candle) then quickly right-clicking, taking it back, makes it disappear if the player is close to the platform/table where they put it.
- If a part of a Chest or Gold Chest is corrupted, placing another Chest or Gold Chest there will duplicate it.
- Characters can be semi-corrupt and still be able to mine, kill enemies, etc. but cannot move anything in their inventory or it will disappear, and any changes in items will disappear once the world is closed. If a the player is a mediumcore character, then no items drop on their death, but will then have a completely empty inventory. If it happens once, after a while, more characters will become corrupt.
- Chests have been observed to split and endlessly duplicate themselves; this was a possible side effect of TEdit, seen to happen when there's two different chests occupying same place (this can still happen naturally if the World ID/Seed allows it).
- All Chandeliers are misplaced to left by one pixel.
- When placed, the top of an Iron Anvil is solid (player can stand on it), but the top of a Mythril Anvil is not.
- When pumping liquid in a never ending circle, the liquid will, in time, start duplicating.
- If a Demon Altar spawns on sand, and the player causes the sand to fall, the Demon Altar will break. This has not been confirmed with Boulders.
- When a chest is placed on a boulder, hitting the boulder, or making it move, will cause a game crash.
- If one has wires in the ammo slot, ones that the character picks up will form a new stack in the inventory instead of stacking with the ones currently present. They also lack the 'ammo' tool-tip tag.
- If a character is using an item with auto-pause on and the item is still in use (swinging a sword for example), picking up another item from the inventory will disallow placing it back. Closing the inventory or right clicking to drop the item will resolve the issue.
- Trying to place a Music Box of any variety on tables will result in duplicating 4 more copies of said Music Box; this is an easy way to farm money, as they can be sold to the Merchant for 2 Gold Coins each.
- Sometimes on death, the game may slow down, causing the tombstone to be able to travel through 1-block walls.
- Trying to edit signs while having any of alphanumeric keys assigned as inventory hotkey will cancel editing upon pressing that certain key.
- If a Chest of any kind is placed on Active Stone Blocks when an item is in it, and if the blocks are activated with a Switch or Lever, the chests will duplicate in this pattern: 3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4,etc. This bug is very similar to the Music Box bug.
- The bug above works for Trash Cans and Barrels.
- Repeatedly placing and picking up Crystal Shards or Cobweb causes the item to disappear.
- When a player dies in single player the character is saved, but the contents of chests aren't. Closing the client (alt-f4) after dying allows quick, endless and reliable item/money duplication.
- On a Blood Moon if a zombie breaks down the door right when you break the door it duplicates.
- On the Console Edition, the Goblin Battle Standard will occasionally not spawn the goblin army, even after a few Terraria days
- When tossing items out of your inventory by pressing Esc while holding an item on the mouse buttom will then automaticly select the item in the number 9 slot.
- If a character has gravity reversed with the Gravitation Potion, the water walk potion active and uses Rocket Boots to hit their head on some water then the rocket boots will deactivate it. Items like Cloud in a Bottle will also reset as if landing on ground.
- If a player has the Gravity buff and the Confused debuff at the same time, trying to go down a platform by press the 'Down' key will make you Gravitise and turn upside-down. But if a player presses the 'Up' key when on platforms with the same set up, nothing will happen.
- In the console version of Terraria if you put down a Music Box with "Boss 4" music and break it it becomes a Hallowed Repeater.
- Attempting to cure the Potion Sickness De-buff will only result in the removal of the icon and not the De-buff itself.
- Blocking off long flows of water from a high point may cause liquids at lower points of the flow to instantly disappear instead of dissipating; placing blocks where the liquid was will cause partial amounts of the liquid to return. Using this, one can create an obsidian farm.
- Having a 5 block wide pool of water with a single block hole in the bottom creates infinite water.
- In an obsidian generator, if the lava and water tank expand beyond the edge of the screen, the lava and water will never run out.
- If a character is damaged by touching lava while they are submerged in water, i.e. while mining obsidian, getting out of the water will present the sound effect for lava, not water.
- Water and lava can occasionally not flow properly, sometimes resulting in floating liquids, such as this.
- If you have constructed a pit of Lava (a common practice for traps, farms, trashcans, etc.) out of Hellstone Brick, falling into it with an Obsidian Skull equipped will result in continuous, massive Lava damage as is supposed to happen. However, players who fall in without an Obsidian Skull equipped will only take Lava damage until they reach the Hellstone bottom of the pit. As long as they remain in contact with the Hellstone Brick, they will take the much reduced damage of Hellstone contact instead of the massive Lava damage.
- Any placeable object submerged in lava will prevent the generation of obsidian. Since the object is occupying the space where the obsidian would spawn, all of the water is instead "drained" by the object and vanishes. Is confirmed to occur with the Hellforge, Crystal Shard, tombstone, chests and pumps.
- Placing water on top of a single block will create double the water.
- If you make a fountain with an inlet pump and an outlet pump, recycling water (or lava), the ammount of liquid used increases with no stopping.
- When pressing F9 to change the lighting mode in-game, the map dimensions shrink. If you are at the edge of the world you can be fused into blocks. When a world is loaded in a new/smooth lighting mode, the map dimensions are shrunk. Retro and Trippy lighting modes do not seem to have this effect. Also, If you are at the edge of the world with the Retro/Trippy lighting, then changing it. You will go off the screen and the game Might crash.
- When switching between Biomes that change the background, the lighting can bug out, especially with artificial biomes. This effect can be mimicked by jumping to great heights in a corruption biome.
- When exploring outside at night, there are areas of pitch darkness that, once lit, don't revert back to darkness. Before After
- While on the surface during the day, occasionally the lighting will flicker in and out, like it sometimes does between biomes. It may have to do with the sun's light source recalculating, but this is conjecture.
- When on "Trippy" setting, a light source that has to be calculated through walls (such as torches in a home) at the surface level, it will flicker the entire surface light during the dusk to night time transition, until night time corrects the anomaly.
- Sometimes, when on the top of the map using Gravitation Potions, using the Rainbow Rod at this height will strangely make the Rainbow Rod's bursts disappear in midair, then reappear. This may have something to do with the new 1.1 lighting engine.
- Since the new 1.1 lighting engine, certain users will notice a decreased FPS lighting performance, although the rest of the game will run fine.
- If you teleport away just before touching the ground after falling from a great height, you will see the damage counter and hear the death sound, but you will still be teleported to your spawn.
- If you have 0 total mana, you can still use the Orb of Light/Fairy Bell (this also works as long as you have less mana than the spell costs).
- Eater of Worlds sometimes spawns when breaking a Shadow Orb with the message "A horrible chill goes down your spine". Instead, only the head of Eater of Worlds is spawned and there is no message in the chat about the Eater of World spawning nor is there one when it is defeated. It does not drop anything when killed.
- Blazing Wheel and Spike Ball can be damaged by lava, Spiky Balls and the Thorns Potion buff.
- Players against the edge of the map can trigger mob spawns that are not off-screen because the spawn algorithm doesn't compensate for world-edge proximity.
- Sometimes, when fighting the Wall Of Flesh, if you are killed by it, and try to go back to the Underworld to summon it again, the debuff 'Horrified' will still be there, but the Wall Of Flesh will be gone. Trying to summon it again results in nothing happening except the Guide dying. The debuff will be there every time you reach the underworld level. This may[?] happen as a result of save-quitting after summoning WoF. The de-buff should disappear after spending a few minutes in the Underworld; a possible theory is that the debuff is timed to disappear after WoF crosses hell from one side to the other.
- If there is a one block thick platform beneath a Chaos Elemental as it runs into a wall, it's likely that it will fall through.
- If a player tries to break a Demon Altar with a hammer that is not the Pwnhammer (i.e. Wooden Hammer, Iron Hammer, etc.) the player will receive damage. However, if the player is killed by the altar by hitting it a certain amount of times, the death message will just be "(PLAYER NAME)" and nothing else. This message will also appear on the Tombstone dropped by the player on death.
- Player can repetitively kill rarer/unique bosses by saving before summoning (breaking 3rd shadow orb or talking to the old man) then after killing the boss, the player can suicide and close the client (alt-f4). For instance, you could kill eater of worlds every 2-5 minutes (and keep the contents of the shadow orb) with just a little setup.
- (Xbox 360 Edition)Although rare, when killing the Wall of Flesh, it will not drop the Pwnhammer.
- (Xbox 360 Edition)A goblin warrior jumping in a 3 block high tunnel will bounce off the ceiling and one square into the ground. This can allow him to drop through a floor one block thick.
- When selling to NPCs sometimes your gold will disappear.
- When selling to NPCs if you sell a whole stack of coins (assuming that you have less then 100 of that type) then buy them all back then right-click the last coin slot avaliable and you will get an extra coin of that type.
- Likewise, it is possible to "sell" a coin stack to an NPC, resulting in the coin stack doubling (ie, selling a stack of 20 Gold to the Merchant will result in him having 40 Gold available to buy) provided the player does not have any more of that coin type onhand. The player will not receive the sold amount back if they don't have any more of it in their possession, meaning the coins are lost when the shop interface is closed since the player will not have sufficient cash remaining with which to buy back the stack.
- NPCs may stop spawning completely. This may be attributed to the way housing is handled in 1.1, where, if there is no valid housing for any NPC, even the guide will not spawn.
- Sometimes if exploring the dungeon, the Mechanic will already be dead, but the message '(NPC NAME) was slain...' will have never appeared before. Sometimes her remains will never disappear.
- NPCs seem to have pathfinding issues with jumping/walking up or down Wood Platforms.
- NPCs may occasionally not move into particular rooms or houses, Even when the game engine declares the housing to be suitable. 
- The Old Man's Housing flag can sometimes stay there when the house is not suitable. But when you log out, and come back on, the flag has went away.
- Very rarely, when summoning the Wall of Flesh, the Guide Voodoo Doll will be destroyed and the Guide will die, but the Wall of Flesh won't spawn. The Guide will never respawn.
- For some unknown reason it is possible for a housing bug that makes all housing flags housing queries. When picking a house for an NPC to live in the message board will simply say "This Housing Is Suitable". Changing worlds does not help nor does restarting the game.
- Falling through 1-tile gaps is possible with the Hermes Boots if you run really quickly into a wall immediately above the gap.
- Similarly, running really fast with the Spectre Boots can allow you to jump through 1 tile gaps.
- It is possible to use a Grappling Hook to drag yourself through a diagonal 2 block hole or a vertical one block hole.
- It is possible to push through a two block high gap by falling 34 blocks and pushing against the wall
- It is possible to push into the top/bottom corner of a block that is underwater and enter inside it (must not have red balloon equipped)
- If you grapple to the door (When the hook is in the middle of the door), when opening the door you will have a huge speed boost. This can be performed without Hermes Boots.
- If you grapple to a block of ice from the Ice Rod , when the ice block disappears you can sometimes get a huge speed burst. (Similar to above)
- Boulders will only fall if the active stone blocks beneath it are triggered. This causes a bug where a boulder will balance on a single block, defying physics.
- Sometimes when logging in to a world a player can be instantly killed as if the player fell from a great height, despite any fall damage protection the player may have equipped. The cause of this is yet unknown. Can affects any difficulty characters, including Hardcore, so backup your files often.
- In inventory, when an item is clicked on, sometimes the game freezes and when inventory is exited, the selected item is thrown away
- There are some inconsistencies with capitalization.
- One of the Guide's messages states "open you inventory"
- The Piranha Statue is misspelled as Pirahna Statue
- When selling any item to the Arms Dealer, there will sometimes appear to be no space between _silver and _copper, or _gold and _silver. This bug also applies to all other NPCs.
- The display of the time under the hotbar from a Watch or GPS has two colons: 'Time:: 7:30 AM'. This does not apply to the Grandfather Clock.
- In the description of Holy Water, instead of saying "20 Damage" it just says "20", with nothing else in that line.
- When you kill The Twins, it says "The Twins has been defeated" instead of "The Twins have been defeated."
- Sometimes the title for the client says "Noone dug behind," instead of "No-one dug behind," or "No one dug behind."
- The stats for meteor armor have the percentage sign before the number, and not after.
- There is a rare chance of the Merchant spawning with the name Isacc, instead of Isaac.
- When making 'the breaker', the forge ability comes before the 'the' (for example:'annoying the breaker')
- It is possible to use Boomerangs and Flails (except for the Harpoon) through a 1 block thick wall of any material, while the Star Cannon can be shot through up to three. With any flail (except the harpoon) if in enough water/lava with one block floor the flail with go through the floor and get stuck until you stretch it out.
- It is possible to throw shurikens through walls if you angle them correctly.
- It is possible to throw an Enchanted Boomerang through blocks if they are far enough away and it enters through from lava. The boomerang re-entering the lava will still play the splash sound, even though it did so through blocks.
- The Flamethrower will use double ammo for each shot when used with a speed-related prefix (like "rapid" or "quick").
- When the Flamethrower is fired onto a 1 block thick wall, it will damage mobs that hug the wall even when they aren't in contact of the flame itself.
- While standing next to a closed door, aiming at the right angle will allow you to throw an enchanted boomerang through the door and hit a enemy. This is useful if you live on a hill, especially during a blood moon.
- If a boomerang is thrown, it can be dropped as soon as it comes back to you, and the thrown boomerang doesn't dissapear. This opens up the possibility of 2 Flamarangs to be used as a Light Disc.
 World Generation
- Saving or Loading may cause corruption of worlds, parts of the world, or the entire world will become empty and the player will simply fall until they hit the bottom of the world. Respawning will repeat the process.
- Sometimes a world will spawn 2 underground jungles instead of one.
- Deleting a world, then reverting to a previous version of the saved world can cause the different layers of the world to appear to move along with the player (this may just be the parallax settings).
- It is possible for a world to generate with the spawn being in the jungle.
- It is possible for the world to generate a surface level that is higher than most worlds. This attributes to seemingly "lower" floating islands, and can cause the surface parallax to become almost hidden save for mountains near the spawn.
- It is possible for a world to generate without a jungle. However, the underground jungle will still exist, but is only easily findable with a map viewer.
- Sometimes a Corruption Biome and a Jungle Biome can mix. This results in the Corruption to have no Shadow Orbs, and the Jungle to have no Jungle Shrines. Man Eaters and Snatchers can be found in Corruption pits.
- Demon Altars can sometimes spawn halfway inside a wall, or as small bits of altars scattered within the Corruption. These malformed altars will disappear if a block by it is updated, or if it's hit with any hammer.
- In rare cases, Gold Chests will sometimes spawn on surface level, usually containing a Trident, along with normal surface chest items (i.e. Shurikens, Grenades, Swiftness Potions, etc.).
- As a ghost, the world doesn't generate.
- Sometimes a world may generate without any chests in its oceans
 Multiplayer only
- If two or more players are viewing a chest at the same time, both can usually take any items from it. This can be used in a variety of ways to duplicate items.
- Server security is weak and allows players to destroy massive parts of the world. Source Topic on Forums
- Server lag may cause parts of the world to not be rendered resulting in a massive world hole, jumping in the hole will kill the player when they reach the bottom of the world.
- If this player has a Lucky Horseshoe or Angel/Demon wings he/she will survive and possibly have a good mining location.
- If a body of water is generated at the edge of the world, and a player places/destroys blocks that affect the water level, the server might crash. Most notable with the Ocean.
- Enemy mobs will jump ahead of their current position occasionally. Happens regardless if server is on the same machine or if you're a remote player. Also affects Sun/Moon, it will occasionally "jump back" as if client's one is ahead of server's and it synchronizes. This can be sometimes fixed by setting your monitor's refresh rate to 60Hz or playing on Fullscreen with a lower resolution. Enabling or disabling frame skipping may also have an effect.
- Mouse clicks will go through any other windows (such as a web browser) to the client. In other words, the client doesn't lose focus on hide. This may cause accidental item dropping, crafting, or placement of blocks. However, this only occurs when Terraria is minimized from the task bar or when using alt-tab. Minimizing normally will NOT cause this.
- On medium-sized worlds, upon reaching what is supposed to be the rightmost/easternmost "edge" of the world (i.e., the Ocean), the world will not end and will instead feature a massive hole beyond the Ocean (there is no environmental interaction associated with this hole, and so no water will drain into it) much like those caused by rendering failures due to lag. The player can use this to "leap" from the side of the Ocean and regain breath, and re-enter the Ocean safely (using the Rocket Boots, Cloud in a Bottle, etc.)
- If two players both click on a block of dirt with a dirt rod at the same time, they can duplicate the block of dirt.
- Game creation via Host&Play as well as with the dedicated server tool can occasionally lead to a static world, i.e., no flowers or seeds will grow, planted seeds like jungle grass will not spread, and no falling stars will occur.
- Other players on your team appear to be constantly regenerating HP as though they are out of combat even directly taking damage, therefore the HP shown is off by 1-10 (usually skips back after a while)
- When a Meteor falls on a multiplayer server, sometimes not all tile updates are sent to the connected clients (screenshots: before and after disconnecting and logging back in).
- Breaking Shadow Orbs in Multiplayer can cause Eater of Worlds to spawn at original spawn point instead of corruption area. Since it is not in corruption it quickly despawns with no 'Eater of Worlds has fled' message.
- If an item is placed directly beside a door and two Players are right-clicking very fast on the door, then the door, the block under the door and the item will all duplicate. It's therefore possible to make a lot of money by placing a safe beside a door and duplicate it a lot to sell it for 10 gold per Safe.
- Sometimes when you use a boss summoning item, you will hear the scream, but it will not give a message it was summoned nor will it actually appear.
- If you place a chest on top of blocks created by the Ice Rod in multiplayer, the blocks will not disappear. However, restarting the server causes both the chests and ice blocks to vanish. Placing a new ice block below where the chest was will cause the chest to occasionally duplicate.
- If two players are on a team and both players have been standing still for a while, sometimes one player will appear to be sinking/getting further away on the on screen tracking and then after about 10 seconds will reset to normal and start sinking again.
- If a player on the same team as you is in an area which you haven't been near / loaded yet, they will appear to be falling on the distance counter, teleporting up occasionally. If the player's fake body falls into lava then the player will die and respawn normally
- When walking around in the underground, sometimes an explosion will go off saying, " Playername has been slain(various types of death text) by Playername's explosives.
- Very rarely, when you login to a server and enable PvP, you will become imune to every single attack from other players, however you can still attack other players. Restarting your Laptop/Computer should fix this bug.
- Sometimes when players are killed repeatedly while lagging, there is a chance of the player to become invisible to others, but not to himself. This bug also causes other players' weapons to go through him, and not damage him. This bug is easily fixed by using a suicide command(i.e /kill), or suiciding with Spikes, fire blocks, Lava, Drowning, etc.
- If a player spams weapons with trails(i.e Cursed Flames, Water Bolt, etc.), the projectiles' particle effects disappear. This happens occasionally with the Crystal Bullets' shards to be invisible.
- (xbox 360 edition)When one person selects a carried light source, other players will not be able to see it and it's effect.
- (Xbox 360 edition) When someone (on a world hosted by another player) puts an item(s) in a chest, non-private storage, drops items, ect.. then leaves the game without saving (by going to xbox home or turning off Xbox)the item(s) will be on the world. If you repeatedly do this, you can copy items and sell them or use them. (note: sometimes if you do this to much it can cause you to lag out when you log onto that player's world again)
- The clouds found in the background sky do not move during the day and only begin to move when the stars appear at dusk and freeze again when the stars disappear at dawn. However, it would seem that the Corruption background sky does not have this issue and the clouds will move even during the day there.
- The projectile animations for spears and lances are not displayed correctly once the player turns right. This is only visible for asymmetric sprites. Example
- Issues with high resolutions
- Resolutions wider than 1920 will cause the mouse to be able to move outside the game and enemies will visibly spawn in plain sight.
- Resolutions higher than 1080 will cause the background/sky to show a black border along the bottom of the game window.
- Opening Windows Media Center after Terraria is running causes Terraria to lose the ability to play sounds and music until the game is restarted. Possibly a DirectSound related issue.
- This can also happen if you pause the game and leave it running for long periods of time, then un-pause the game.
- Introduced in 1.1.2, the game no longer allows some people to screenshot fullscreen. This also is tied to the bug where people may have to wait longer to restore a fullscreen Terraria (the screenshot has all data from the colors, etc. from taking the screenshot, as evidence to the 2+MB of data given by the screenshot. It is, however, masked by the same solid color as the restoration blank screen when returning to full screen).
- In the new console version, a character's file may disappear randomly.