|Tooltip||Hitting enemies will sometimes drop extra coins|
|Internal Item ID: 855|
The Lucky Coin is an extremely rare Hardmode accessory that while equipped causes enemies to drop extra coins when damaged. The Lucky Coin is dropped by Pirates during a Pirate Invasion at a rate of 1/4000 (0.025%) or from the Flying Dutchman at a rate of 1/200 (0.5%), but is not dropped by Parrots.
With the Lucky Coin equipped, there is a 1/5 (20%) chance that 1 to 10 extra coins will drop each time the player damages an enemy. Each time extra coins drop, the following probabilities determine the coin type:
- 89.1% chance for copper coins
- 9.9% chance for silver coins
- 1% chance for gold coins
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On average, 6 9 will drop each time the effect occurs.
- This item is generally considered to be the best way to make money in-game, when paired with a very weak weapon, usually a Slime Staff with the broken prefix.
- Extra coins can drop from damage caused by player-placed traps in singleplayer, but can't in multiplayer.
- Extra coins will not drop from damage return effects, such as those provided by Turtle armor or Thorns Potion.
- Entities that don't normally drop coins, like Critters, Statue-spawned enemies, Mummies, or Meteor Heads during Hardmode, will still not drop coins even with the Lucky Coin equipped.
- The Lucky Coin is very rare. It takes an average of 33-34 complete Pirate Invasions before it drops.
- It is possible to get a Lucky Lucky Coin, with the modifier being Lucky, then the item's name.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Use the Slime Staff and Tiki Armor. Against stronger enemies (like Mimics), the baby slime summoned by the staff will attack rapidly, but only do 1 damage per hit. This offers more chances for coins to drop. Using this tactic during a Pirate Invasion can easily produce 2-3 platinum coins per invasion. Also this tactic can be implemented during a Solar Eclipse to produce 4-5 platinum coins per eclipse.
- In expert mode, enemies have increased health which means the amount of platinum coins can skyrocket anywhere from 10-15 . Enemies also pick up coins in expert mode, however, so letting anything escape can reduce the amount gathered dramatically.
- Fight weaker bosses like the Wall of Flesh as they will not deal much damage but have lots of health.
History[edit | edit source]
- Sprite updated.
- Now drops from Flying Dutchman.
- 184.108.40.206: Lucky Coin no longer drops coins from statue-spawned enemies.
- 1.2: Introduced.