|Ancient Cobalt Helmet||0.33%|
|Ancient Cobalt Breastplate||0.33%|
|Ancient Cobalt Leggings||0.66%|
|Man Eater Banner||0.5%|
The Man Eater is found in the Underground Jungle biome. It is a plant which consists of an extendable stem topped by an oval-shaped 'head' with claws. The stem itself is a passive component and can be walked past safely without incurring damage; only the plant's head is dangerous to the player and the only part of the plant which can be attacked. It always extends its stem to the maximum length in the direction of the player, but can retract and shorten if the player goes within its length. It is similar in appearance and behavior to that of the Snatcher.
Due to their ability to pass through blocks this plant can easily surprise and kill players who are caught unaware. Destroying the Stone Block or Mud Block that one is rooted on kills it instantly; however, this method of dispatching a Man Eater never yields any dropped items.
Man Eaters deal a lot of damage - they have the strongest "melee" attack of any pre-hardmode enemy - close contact with them should be avoided. They are particularly dangerous because they can catch players who do not bring sufficient illumination unaware. Caution is advised even when the player seems to be out of the Man Eater's reach, as they will periodically extend their stems to a second maximum length for several moments before retracting back to their original length.
Man Eaters are immune to the Poisoned debuff.
 Differences from Snatchers
- Man Eaters can be distinguished from Snatchers by their body color, which is a brown/pinkish vine, as opposed to a green vine for Snatchers.
- Man Eaters have a chance to drop Vines, whereas Snatchers don't.
- Man Eaters spawn in the Underground Jungle biome, as opposed to the Jungle biome. The depth at which Snatchers are replaced with Man Eaters is further below ground than a mere zero depth (as shown by the Depth Meter), and can start at between 700 to 1,000 feet below ground level, depending on the world size. This is important to keep in mind when planting Jungle Grass Seeds for farming Vines.
- Man Eaters can spawn as deep as the top layer of The Underworld.
- Man Eaters can extend their stems about twice as far as Snatchers.
- Longer vines mean they can bite you from a distance.
- Man Eaters do more damage than Snatchers.
- When lit on fire with weapons such as the Sunfury, their erratic movement patterns may cause them to reveal hidden caves with their light.
- Man Eaters and Hornets will always drop Ancient Cobalt Helmets with Ancient Cobalt Leggings due to the way that the drops are coded. This effectively doubles the intended drop chance of the Leggings.
- 1.2: Vine drop rate increased from 25% to 33.33%.
- Stats changed.
- Health reduced from 130 to 110.
- Damage reduced from 42 to 34.
- Defense reduced from 18 to 10.
- Now have a chance to drop Ancient Cobalt armor when killed.
- Stats changed.
- 1.1: Damage decreased from 45 to 42.
- Health decreased from 200 to 130.
- Damage decreased from 60 to 45
- Man Eaters are now drawn in front of tiles rather than behind them.
- They now extend their stems at random, rather than when the player is moving rapidly.
- Man Eaters no longer drop Jungle armor, which is instead crafted by the player.
- They now pass through blocks, are immune to knockback, and no longer extend their stems when struck.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.