Map size refers to the size of a Terraria world. Upon creation, you can select either "small", "medium", or "large" for the size of the map you generate.
Dimensions of the different map sizes are as follows: (one block = two feet)
|Small||8400 x 2400||4200 x 1200||8234 x 2234||4117 x 1117||2-3|
|Medium||12800 x 3600||6400 x 1800||12634 x 3434||6317 x 1717||4-5|
|Large||16800 x 4800||8400 x 2400||16634 x 4634||8317 x 2317||4-6|
 Map Size Comparison
Different world sizes may be better suited for different purposes. Players may find that creating many small worlds may be more efficient than creating large worlds due to the amount of memory needed.
 Advantages of Small Worlds
- Getting to specific locations like the Dungeon, Jungle and Oceans requires less walking.
- Less digging is required to reach the Underworld.
- Floating Islands are lower and therefore easier to find.
- The world saves and loads faster.
- Small worlds are more compact potentially making ores easier to find.
- The Corruption/Crimson/Hallow is easier to control.
- It is easier to find the Lihzahrd Temple.
 Advantages of Large Worlds
- There is more space to build and explore.
- There are more total chests and pots underground per world.
- There are more Floating Islands.
- The Dungeon is larger.
- There are more Corruption/Crimson chasms and Demon Altars. This also means there would be more hardmode ores to generate.
- There are more Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts to destroy, which drop unique and valuable items.
- The Underworld is longer, potentially giving more time to defeat the Wall of Flesh.
- There is a larger amount of ore.
- There are more Shrines.
|Attack Speed • Autoswing • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty (Softcore • Mediumcore • Hardcore) • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Multiplayer • Music • NPC drops • NPC Despawning • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|