|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
Map size refers to the size of a Terraria world. Upon creation, you can select either "small", "medium", or "large" for the size of the map you generate. On the Mobile Version, you cannot decide the world size.
Dimensions of the different map sizes are as follows: (one block = two feet)
|Mobile||??? x ???||??? x ???||??? x ???||??? x ???||2–4|
|Small||8400 x 2400||4200 x 1200||8234 x 2234||4117 x 1117||2–3|
|Medium||12800 x 3600||6400 x 1800||12634 x 3434||6317 x 1717||4–5|
|Large||16800 x 4800||8400 x 2400||16634 x 4634||8317 x 2317||4–6|
Map Size Comparison[edit | edit source]
Different world sizes may be better suited for different purposes. Players may find that creating many small worlds may be more efficient than creating large worlds due to the amount of memory needed.
Advantages of Small Worlds[edit | edit source]
- Getting to specific locations like the Dungeon, Jungle and Oceans requires less walking.
- Building skybridges, subways, teleporters, and hellevators is quicker and less costly.
- Less digging is required to reach the Underworld.
- Floating Islands are lower and therefore easier to find.
- Wyverns spawn closer to the ground and are therefore easier to farm.
- The world saves and loads faster.
- Small worlds are more compact potentially making ores easier to find.
- The Corruption/Crimson/Hallow is easier to control.
- It is easier to find the Jungle Temple.
- Retrieving liquids such as water and lava with buckets or pumps is quicker and easier.
- Meteors are easier to locate.
Advantages of Large Worlds[edit | edit source]
- There is more space to build and explore.
- There are more total chests and pots underground per world.
- There are more Floating Islands.
- The Dungeon is larger, with a greater potential to have all three Dungeon Wall types.
- There are more Corruption/Crimson chasms and Demon Altars. This also means there would be more hardmode ores to generate.
- There are more Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts to destroy, which drop unique and valuable items.
- The Underworld is longer, potentially giving more time to defeat the Wall of Flesh.
- There is a larger amount of ore.
- There is a larger amount of wood.
- There are more Shrines.
- There is a greater chance of having lakes big enough for fishing in surface biomes.
- The Jungle Temple is larger and possibly contains more traps and Lihzahrd Power Cells.
- The Wyvern spawn level is higher making above-ground housing safer at low altitudes.
- There is a less chance of a meteor doing damage to unprotected structures.
- The surface terrain tends to be more varied and interesting.
- More meteors can be in the world.
|Ambient objects • Attack Speed • Autoswing • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Camera mode • Chat • Config.json • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Expert mode • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Mining Speed • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Multiplayer • Music • NPC drops • NPC Despawning • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Status messages • Storage • Title messages • Use time • Value • Velocity|