The Mechanical Worm is used to summon The Destroyer, a harder version of the Eater of Worlds. It can only be used during night time. Using another Mechanical Worm while The Destroyer is already spawned will result in instant death. It can also be used in a world without hardmode activated.
If you have not defeated The Destroyer yet and are already in hardmode, all enemies (minus statue-spawned monsters and meteor heads) have a 1 in 2500 chance of dropping this item.
- Unlike Worm Food, a Mechanical Worm can be used outside of the Corruption. However, the Destroyer can only be summoned during the night, and will despawn if the player fails to defeat it before morning.
- It is possible to summon the Destroyer in a Pre-Hardmode world if the components to craft the Mechanical Worm and a hardmode anvil (or the item itself) are moved in from another world or via inventory editing.
- The item looks more like an eater of souls with a wind-up key on the back than a worm.
- As with several items, The Mechanical Worm has four crafting recipes due to two items in the recipe having alternates.
- Much like the Mechanical Skull, it has a wind-up key on the back of the worm. As mentioned in the Mechanical Skull article, many toys require such keys to be operational.
- 1.2.1: Drop chance reduced from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 2500.
- 1.2: Also drops from enemies in Hardmode. No longer requires copper, and requires one less Soul of Night.
- 1.1: Introduced.
|Iron and Lead|
|Toilet • Bathtub • Fence|
Anvil • Sawmill • Cooking Pot • Chain
Chest • Barrel • Trash Can • Lamp Post
Empty Bucket • Grappling Hook • Flamethrower
Mechanical Eye • Mechanical Skull • Mechanical Worm
Inlet Pump • Outlet Pump