|Internal NPC ID: 17|
The Merchant is an NPC vendor that will spawn once the following conditions have been met:
- There is an empty house.
- All players in the game world have more than 50 between them in their inventories.
If the Merchant is killed, he will only respawn if the above conditions are met again. This means all players need to have over 50 in their combined inventories. Only coins in the main inventory or coin slots are counted; savings stored in the Piggy Bank or Safe do not count toward the requirement.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant makes several quotes referencing things he does not sell. In addition, despite claiming they sell for a lot overseas, he gives no money for dirt blocks.
- In mobile version , he will randomly sell one iron item, this item will change with each visit.
- The Merchant will sell a Lead Anvil in place of an Iron Anvil on the Mobile Version if the world was naturally generated with Lead Ore instead of Iron Ore.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Merchant may have any of the following names:
- Additional names have been added to the Xbox One version. Those names include Steve, Logan and Jason.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Sword beats paper! Get one today." (Although he does not sell swords.)
- "Lovely morning, wouldn't you say? Was there something you needed?"
- "You want apples? You want carrots? You want pineapples? We got torches."
- "The sun is high, but my prices are not."
- "Boy, that sun is hot! I do have some perfectly ventilated armor."
- "Check out my dirt blocks, they are extra dirty."
- "Ah, they will tell tales of [Name of Player] some day... good ones I'm sure."
- "Night will be upon us soon, friend. Make your choices while you can."
- "You have no idea how much Dirt Blocks sell for overseas."
Beginning of night:
- "Kosh, kapleck Mog. Oh sorry, that's klingon for 'Buy something or die.'"
- "[Name of Player] is it? I've heard good things, friend!"
- "I wonder if the moon is made of cheese... huh, what? Oh yes, buy something!"
- "The last guy who was here left some junk... er I mean... treasures!"
- "Did you say gold? I'll take that off of ya."
End of night:
- "I hear there's a secret treasure... oh never mind."
- "Angel Statue you say? I'm sorry, I'm not a junk dealer."
- "Have you seen Chith...Shith.. Chat... The big eye?"
- "Keep your eye on the prize, buy a lense!" [sic]
- "Not even a Blood Moon can stop capitalism. Let's do some business."
- "Hey, this house is secure, right? Right? [Name of Player]?"
- When Nurse and Mechanic are present:
- "Oh, great. I can hear [Name of Mechanic] and [Name of Nurse] arguing from here."
When Eye of Cthulhu has NOT been defeated:
- "I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that's standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye."
- "I feel like an evil presence is watching me." (When the natural requirements for Eye of Cthulhu to spawn is acquired.)
- "Look at that shoddy armor you're wearing. Better buy some more healing potions."
During a Party:
- "You know what would be the best way to party? Buying things for others, especially from me."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant's inability to pronounce "Cthulhu" during a Blood Moon is reference to the fact that H.P. Lovecraft, Cthulhu's creator, intended for the name to be impossible to pronounce. Although he is able to say the name correctly in another of his quotes ("I hope... us and Cthulhu's Eye.")
- At the beginning of the night, the Merchant may say "Kosh, kapleck Mog. Oh sorry, that's Klingon for 'Buy something or die.'", when "Buy SOMETHING or die" is actually translated as "vay' Daje'be'chugh vaj blHegh" in Klingon.
- The Merchant is depicted in a painting called The Merchant.
- On rare occasions, the Merchant and the Clothier can share the name "Alfred."
History[edit | edit source]
- 220.127.116.11: Fixed a typo in one of the Merchant’s first names (Isacc is now Isaac).
- 18.104.22.168: Now correctly sells Sickle.
- 22.214.171.124: Items can no longer be duplicated with the Merchant.
- 1.2: Now sells Rope, Marshmallows and Flares.
- 1.0.6: Now sells Safe.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.