The Merchant is an NPC vendor that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
- There is an empty house.
- All players in the game world have more than 50 between them in their inventories.
Destroying the Merchant's home will not cause him to leave, though it will leave him vulnerable to enemies.
 Items sold
Once the Merchant has moved into a house, he sells the following:
|Mining Helmet||8||Always available.|
|Piggy Bank||1||Always available.|
|Iron Anvil||50||Always available.|
|Copper Pickaxe||5||Always available.|
|Copper Axe||4||Always available.|
|Lesser Healing Potion||3||Always available.|
|Lesser Mana Potion||1||After the player has reached maximum base mana (200).|
|Wooden Arrow||10||Always available.|
|Glowstick||10||During the night.|
|Safe||50||After Skeletron has been defeated.|
|Throwing Knife||50||During a Blood Moon.|
|Disco Ball||1||After defeating the Wall of Flesh and activating hardmode.|
Note: As with all NPCs, right-clicking an item will allow multiple purchases rather than purchasing it one by one.
Note: The Merchant, in contrast to other NPCs, has quotes that change depending upon the time of day.
- "Sword beats paper! Get one today."
- "Lovely morning, wouldn't you say? Was there something you needed?"
- "You want apples? You want carrots? You want pineapples? We got torches."
- "The sun is high, but my prices are not."
- "Boy, that sun is hot! I do have some perfectly ventilated armor."
- "Check out my dirt blocks, they are extra dirty."
- "Ah, they will tell tales of [Name of Player] some day... good ones I'm sure."
- "Night be upon us soon, friend. Make your choices while you can."
- "You have no idea how much Dirt Blocks sell for overseas."
During begin of the night:
- "Kosh, kapleck Mog. Oh sorry, that's klingon for 'Buy something or die.'"
- "[Name of Player] is it? I've heard good things, friend!"
- "I wonder if the moon is made of cheese... huh, what? Oh yes, buy something!"
- "The last guy who was here left some junk... er I mean... treasures!"
- "Did you say gold? I'll take that off of ya'."
During end of the night:
- "I hear there's a secret treasure... oh never mind."
- "Angel statue you say? I'm sorry, I'm not a junk dealer." (This quote, however, is a lie as he apparently tries to sell Angel Statues to the Dryad.)
Only during Blood Moon:
- "Have you seen Chith...Shith.. Chat... The big eye?"
- "Keep your eye on the prize, buy a lens!"
- "Oh, great. I can hear [Name of Mechanic] and [Name of Nurse] arguing from here." (Only if Nurse and Mechanic are present.)
- "Not even a Blood Moon can stop capitalism. Let's do some business."
- "Hey, this house is secure, right? Right? [Name of Player]?"
When Eye of Cthulhu has NOT been defeated:
- "I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that's standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye."
- "I feel like an evil presence is watching me." (when the natural requirements for Eye of Cthulhu to spawn is acquired)
- "Look at that shoddy armor you're wearing. Better buy some more healing potions."
- Several of the Merchant's quotes imply that he sells things that he actually doesn't, such as his "perfectly ventilated armor" and "extra dirty dirt blocks."
- The Merchant being unable to pronounce "Cthulhu" during a Blood Moon is reference to the fact that H.P. Lovecraft, Cthulhu's creator, intended for the name to be impossible to pronounce.
- 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes. Sells Disco Ball after activating hardmode.
- 1.0.6: Safe was added to inventory.
- 1.0.5: Glowsticks and Throwing Knives were added to inventory. Choice of goods become time of the day and event dependent.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Arms Dealer • Clothier • Demolitionist • Dryad|
Guide • Merchant • Nurse
Mechanic • Goblin Tinkerer • Wizard