From Terraria Wiki
(Redirected from Merfolk)
|Type||Accessory – Crafting material|
|Tooltip||Transforms the holder into merfolk when entering water|
|Grants buff||Merfolk (buff)|
|Buff duration||While underwater|
|Buff tooltip||'Can breathe and move easily underwater'|
|Internal Item ID: 497|
|Internal Buff ID: 34|
Entering water with this accessory equipped transforms the player into Merfolk, a buff with no time limit. While in this form, water's usual effects are negated. The breath meter will not decrease, therefore effectively preventing drowning, and movement through water is faster than on dry land. Holding the
Neptune's Shell can be considered an upgrade from the Diving Gear in most respects, but lacks the underwater lighting of the Jellyfish Diving Gear and the extra mobility on ice of the Arctic Diving Gear.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Console and Mobile Version[edit | edit source]
| Orichalcum Anvil /|
|Soul of Fright||20|
|Soul of Light||5|
|Soul of Night||5|
Used In[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Wearing the Fish Bowl will not activate the Merfolk buff.
- Swimming speed nears that of flying through air with Wings.
- Swimming in Honey activates all the perks of Merfolk but does not allow you to move at full speed.
- Swimming in Lava does not activate the Merfolk form.
- Landing in and "jumping" from water alone (by swimming up past the surface), without touching land, does not reset flight time for Wings or variants of Rocket Boots.
- The Merfolk form overrides most clothing and equipment graphics. No armor or clothing will show on your character while Merfolk is active but a few vanity items will, like capes.
- The Merfolk buff overrides the Werewolf buff, replacing the graphics and cancelling the bonuses granted by the Moon Charm during the night.
- The Merfolk form is affected by Dyes.
- When equipped as a vanity accessory, the Merfolk transformation will appear regardless of whether the player is in water or not.
- If you hide the Merfolk transformation. Only a character's wings' appearance will not show on said character while Merfolk is active.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the item refers to the Roman god, Neptune, god of the sea
History[edit | edit source]
- 22.214.171.124: Can now hide the Neptune's Shell merfolk transformation.
- No longer craftable, now drops from Creature from the Deep.
- Updated sprite.
- 1.2: Now used in the crafting of the Moon Shell.
- 1.1: Introduced.