- This article is about the ore. For the biome, see Meteorite (biome).
Meteorite is an uncommon type of ore mined from meteorite crash sites. Crash sites are not generated on world creation, but instead generate throughout the game based on certain conditions. Mining Meteorite requires at least a Tungsten, Gold, or Platinum Pickaxe. Meteorite also has a 2% chance of being dropped by a Meteor Head, which spawn in Meteorite crash sites.
Crash sites can occur anywhere, accompanied by a message signifying the event. Meteorite ores are required to make a Meteorite Bar.
Contact with Meteorite blocks causes the player to be inflicted with the Burning debuff, unless the player has the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, or Ankh Shield equipped, or is using an Obsidian Skin Potion. Meteorite can be mined without these defenses, so long as the player doesn't come into contact with the blocks except through use of the Pickaxe. The ore is safe to collect once mined.
Any area with 50 Meteorite blocks in close proximity becomes a Meteorite Biome, including the natural crash site, which will spawn Meteor Heads until fewer than 50 Meteorite blocks are present.
Meteorite crash sites begin having a chance to generate in a world once a player destroys a Crimson Heart or Shadow Orb in that world. See Meteorite (biome) for more information.
- When a Fallen Star lands on a meteorite ore block, it will be destroyed.
- Water will not prevent damage from a Meteorite block.
- Turning the ore into Meteorite Bars and selling them is 133% more profitable than selling the raw ore itself.
- Blocks between the player and a Meteorite block will prevent damage. A layer of Sand or a similar gravity-affected block can effectively negate much of the danger of mining Meteorite.
- If a Player places at least 50 pieces of Meteorite, they can create an artificial Meteorite Biome, where all enemy spawns are replaced by Meteor Heads. This can be strategically beneficial in some cases, such as in The Underworld. Meteorite cannot override Ocean biome enemies, ie. if a Meteorite falls into Ocean, there will still be Sharks and Crabs, with very few Meteor Heads. A Meteorite will also not override a Goblin Invasion, Harpies, nor the Hardmode Dungeon.
- Dynamite can be used to mine as an alternative to pickaxes.
- 126.96.36.199: Placed Meteorite has a new texture. Meteorites spawn in larger chunks.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched. Instead burns for 10 damage every tick.
- Increased stack limit from 250 to 999.
- Now takes fewer hits with a pickaxe to mine. A Nightmare Pickaxe, for example, now takes 2 hits to mine Meteorite instead of 4.
- 1.0.5: Now have a sparkle effect.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.