|Type||Ore – Crafting material|
- This article is about the ore. For the biome, see Meteorite (biome).
Meteorite is an uncommon type of ore mined from meteorite crash sites (which occur under a few conditions), and requires a Tungsten Pickaxe (or Gold/Platinum if your world has silver) or better. It also has a 2% chance of being dropped by a Meteor Head.
Once fallen, Meteorite can be located in nearly any area in the world map, even underwater and on the floating islands. A message will appear telling you that it has landed. A meteor can even land near or on NPC settlements. Three Meteorite ores are required to make a Meteorite Bar.
Contact with Meteorite blocks causes damage, unless the player has the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Ankh Shield equipped, or is using the Obsidian Skin Potion. Meteorite can be mined without these defenses, so long as the player doesn't come into contact with the blocks except through use of the Pickaxe. The ore is safe to collect once mined.
- Players lacking an Obsidian Skull or an Obsidian Skin Potion can coat the meteorite in a layer of sand, then mine the Meteorite underneath.
- Use Dynamite, Bombs, or Sticky Bombs. This can stop the spawning of Meteor Heads more quickly.
- Equip a Cobalt Shield and let the Meteor Heads hit you, and only defend yourself long enough to heal when needed.
- The Pickaxe can be repositioned strategically while mining to continually knock back Meteor Heads.
- The Vilethorn kills a Meteor Head in one strike. The Vilethorn is particularly useful to deal with Meteor Heads at long range and before they've breached the surface where they could be hit by other weapons. By alternating between grabbing a couple pieces of meteorite and clearing out the approaching Meteor Heads the entire meteor can be cleared efficiently and safely, if not necessarily quickly.
- Trap six enemies (Zombies are the easiest) so no Meteor Heads can spawn, letting you mine in safety. Make sure that you keep the six enemies on screen at all times, or they could de-spawn, letting Meteor Heads spawn. This method lets you mine even if you only have low-level armor, and lets you use useful equipment (such as Rocket Boots) instead of having to use battle equipment. It may take a while to trap the six enemies, but overall it can make meteorite mining a lot quicker and easier.
- If a meteorite lands in areas with water (like an ocean), the player may be required to either drain the water or use items that prevents drowning, like Gills Potions.
Artificial Meteor biome
If the Player places at least 50 pieces of Meteorite on the screen, they can create an artificial Meteorite Biome. In the Meteorite biome, all monster spawns are replaced by Meteor Heads, which can be more predictable, and tend to do less damage, than the naturally-spawning creatures of The Underworld. If the Player can withstand the Meteor Head attacks they can mine Hellstone in relative peace. Also, in Hardmode, Meteor Heads still drop Souls in Underground Corruption or Underground Hallow.
Meteorite cannot replace the Ocean biome, ie. if a Meteorite falls into Ocean, there will still be Sharks and Crabs, with very few Meteor Heads. A Meteorite will also not override the spawns of a Goblin Invasion or Harpies.
Placing at least 50 pieces of Meteorite will not spawn meteor heads in a Hardmode dungeon, nor will it prevent the spawn of associated hardmode mobs.
- When a Fallen Star lands on a meteorite ore block, it will be destroyed.
- Meteorite ore can sometimes overwrite vine, as if the vine was a solid block.
- Turning the ore into Meteorite Bars and selling them is 133% more profitable than selling the ore.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched. Instead burns for 10 damage every tick.
- Increased stack limit from 250 to 999.
- Now takes less hits with a pickaxe to mine. A Nightmare Pickaxe, for example, now takes 2 hits to mine Meteorite instead of 4.
- 1.0.5: Now have a sparkle effect.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Meteorite |
|Ore • Bar • Hamaxe • Phaseblade • Space Gun • Star Cannon • Armor • Shot • Meteor Head|