|Type||Accessory – Furniture|
|Dimensions||2 wide ˣ 2 high|
|Tooltip||Has a chance to record songs|
|Buy / Sell||10 / 2|
|Internal Tile ID: 139|
The Music Box is a Hardmode Accessory that is purchased from the Wizard for 10 . When the Music Box is equipped in an accessory slot, it will record the currently playing game music, after a randomized delay. This includes tracks being played by other Music Boxes. Once recorded, it will change into one of the music boxes listed below.
A recorded Music Box can be played back in one of two ways:
- Equipping it as an accessory
- Placing it as furniture and activating it, either by right-click or with wires.
On Mobile version, the Music Box is not fully coded. The information we do have is provided for reference.
Recorded Music Boxes[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A Music Box will not record if the game's music volume is set to 0.
- Music Boxes will record other placed Music Boxes. This is useful if you need multiple music boxes for a large area.
- If it is an event music, it may take multiple attempts to record the music.
- For bosses, it is best to play chicken with them, i.e. running away without dealing damage to allow maximum time for the music box to record the track.
- Music Boxes have a range of 200 feet (100 tiles). If the ranges of two active Music Boxes overlap, the ranges will not be averaged. Instead, one Music Box will play at full range and the other will not.
- The Title Music Box is crafted with "Overworld Day" -- it cannot be crafted with "Alt Overworld Day".
- Unlike most equipped accessories, an equipped Music Box is not visible on the player.
- A Music Box will not record when equipped in an accessory vanity slot.
- It can take up to 10 minutes for a Music Box to record a song on the console version of the game.
- The Music Box is currently not obtainable on the mobile version. Although the Music Box can be added via inventory editors, it is not fully coded, and will disappear from inventory and chests. In earlier versions, it would take longer to record a song on the mobile version compared to other versions of the game.
- Music Boxes do not exist in the 3DS version as of update 1.03. Prior to this update, they could be purchased at no cost, however equipping one made it disappear from the player's inventory.
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Music, a descriptive list of the various Terraria music tracks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The total amount needed to buy one of every music box is 390 , 310 or 290 , plus the craftable ones 120 or 170
- A Music Box will always sell for 2 , regardless of whether it has recorded anything.
- Activating a recorded Music Box that has been placed will cause all players in the vicinity to hear its music.
- The Music Box (Tutorial) was initially crafted with console/mobile-exclusive Music Boxes. With the exception of the Music Box (Tutorial) itself, these Music Boxes are no longer exclusive, as of 1.2.
- In the Desktop Version, you can turn off the in-game music and listen to any music files on your computer, or via a streaming service, making Music Boxes less useful on this platform.
References[edit | edit source]
- In the console version, the Snow and Underground Snow (Ice) variants are switched; The same applies to the Boss 4 and Boss 5 variants.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.4: Added Old One's Army music.
- 1.3.3: Added Sandstorm music.
- Sprites updated.
- Added the following music: Hell, Goblin Invasion, Pirate Invasion, Martian Madness, The Towers, and Lunar Boss.
- 126.96.36.199: Fixed the bug where the wiring system was not activating Doors, Music Boxes and Fountains properly.
- Updated graphics and each music box now has a unique design.
- Reverting back to randomly having a chance to record music.
- Music notes now come from music boxes.
- 1.2.1: You can no longer reforge Music Boxes.
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed a bug that caused the music box to record instantly.
- 184.108.40.206: You can no longer use the music box dupe glitch.
- More music added.
- Music box/chest duping no longer works.
- 1.1.1: Fixed a bug with copying of recorded Music Box upon placing on wood platforms.
- 1.1: Introduced.
| Furniture: Crafting Stations • Light Sources • Storage Items • Other Items |