- For a complete list of NPC names, see NPC names.
Most NPCs are "Town" NPCs, appearing after various milestones are achieved in game advancement (details below). They move into structures the player must generally build, known as Houses, which are generally required for Town NPCs to remain available.
Town NPCs that have moved into Houses reduce enemy spawn rates in the area, an effect that increases the more of them are present. With four or more Town NPCs in close proximity, enemies generally stop spawning on or near the visible screen altogether. Players tend to utilize this effect by building large structures ("Towns" or "Bases") with several integrated Houses, to serve as their safe haven. These reductions are usually overridden by Events like Blood Moons or Goblin Invasions, during which spawn rates return to normal, or are elevated, and enemies will once again attack players and NPCs in the area.
Town NPCs generally walk around during the day. Occasionally, they sit in Chairs and "talk" to each other, or to the player (shown as mouth movement and speech bubbles). They remain still in their assigned Houses at night. NPCs have limited health and can take damage, and ultimately die from, enemies, Traps, or Lava; though they cannot be attacked directly by players (outside of special Voodoo Doll accessories or Rotten Eggs). Their health regenerates over time, and if killed, they will also respawn following a delay, as long as a suitable vacant House is still available.
There are currently 22/21/20 Town NPCs, 7/6 of whom normally appear in Hardmode. An additional 3/2 NPCs can be encountered that don't move into Houses.
Housing[edit | edit source]
- Main article: House
Each Town NPC requires a suitable, vacant House. A House is a confined room enclosed by a frame of blocks, along with a table and chair. Certain types of furniture are required, as well as certain room dimensions (see House for full details). Houses must not be located near Corruption or Crimson, and if those spread too close to an occupied House, the NPC living there may move out.
The Guide and Old Man are unique in that they always spawn upon creating a world. The Guide will also move into the first House you build. If he dies, he will need a proper House to respawn. The Old Man does not move into a House, but always appears near the Dungeon's entrance, and respawns the following day if killed (When Skeletron hasn't been defeated) .
If a House occupied by an NPC is damaged in a way that makes it invalid, the NPC will move out and walk around the area until a suitable House is restored. If killed, the NPC will respawn again whenever a new House becomes available.
Buying and Selling[edit | edit source]
Items can be bought simply by right-clicking an NPC and taking items from their inventory while their cost in coins is available in the player's inventory. Holding the right mouse button will allow the player to buy an item in bulk, so long as the item is stackable. The buy speed increases the longer the right-click button is held.
All NPC vendors can also be used to sell your unwanted or surplus items to gain coins, simply by placing your unwanted item(s) in their inventory. Items are always sold to vendors at one-fifth their purchase price. Not all items have a sell value (very common items such as Dirt or Wood have no value). Hovering over your item while the NPC's inventory is open will display its sell value.
Should you change your mind about a sale? Sold items can be taken back in exchange for the amount you sold them for, as long you haven't yet closed the NPC's inventory screen. This does not hold true for returning bought items, which must be sold back at their standard sell rate of one-fifth the purchase price.
Town NPCs[edit | edit source]
Listed in the order in which they are generally likely to be acquired.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
|NPC||Acquired When||Description||Drops||Defending weapon|
|Guide||Starting a new world.||Provides tips, crafting recipes, and a general guide on how to get other NPC's.|| Green Cap
(100% when named Andrew)
|Merchant*||All players combined have more than 50 in their inventories.||Sells certain basic tools and supplies.||n/a||Throwing Knife|
|Nurse||A player has more than 100 health and the Merchant is already present.||Heals players and cancels debuffs in exchange for coins.||n/a||Poisoned Knife|
|Demolitionist||A player has an explosive in their inventory, and the Merchant is already present.||Sells explosive items.||n/a||Grenades|
|Dye Trader||A player acquires a Dye item, or any item used to craft Dye, in addition to either defeating a pre-Hardmode boss or acquiring one Strange Plant.||Sells the Dye Vat crafting station, and provides reward dyes in exchange for rare plants.|| Exotic Scimitar
|Dryad*||A Boss is defeated other than King Slime, Lepus or Wall of Flesh.||Sells nature/Corruption/Crimson items, and can report the percentage of Corruption/Crimson and Hallow in the world.||n/a||Dryad's Blessing|
|Arms Dealer*||A player has bullets, or a gun that shoots bullets, in their inventory.||Sells certain guns, bullets, and after the Eater of Worlds or the Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated, Unholy Arrows.||n/a||Flintlock Pistol / Minishark (Hardmode)|
|Stylist||Found and spoken to in a Spider Nest.||Can change your hair style, and sells Hair Dyes.|| Stylish Scissors
|Painter*||After 8 other town NPCs are acquired.||Sells paints, painting tools, and Paintings.|| Paintball Gun
|Angler||Found and spoken to in an Ocean Biome.||Gives Fishing quests and rewards players for completing them.||n/a||Frost Daggerfish|
|Goblin Tinkerer||Found and spoken to underground after defeating a Goblin Invasion.||Sells items such as the Tinkerer's Workshop, and can reforge items.||n/a||Spiky Balls|
|Witch Doctor*||Queen Bee is defeated.||Sells the Blowgun, the Imbuing Station, summoner equipment and Fountains.||n/a||Blowgun|
|Clothier*||Skeletron is defeated.||Sells some Vanity items, including the Familiar clothes.|| Red Hat
|Book of Skulls (Shadowflame variant)|
|Mechanic||Found and spoken to in the Dungeon.||Sells the Wrench, Wire, and other Mechanism-related items, in addition to the Mechanic's Rod under certain conditions.||n/a||Wrench (thrown)|
|Party Girl||Chance of spawning after acquiring 14 town NPCs.||Sells items that create colorful visual effects. If killed, she does not always respawn the following day as other NPCs do, rather starting over with a random chance of re-spawning each dawn.|| Happy Grenade
(30-60, 25% chance)
|Confetti Gun, Happy Grenade|
|NPC||Acquired When||Description||Drops||Defending weapon|
|Pirate||A Pirate Invasion is defeated.||Sells the Cannon and other Pirate-related items.||n/a||Gun and Cannon|
|Truffle||A House is built in an above-ground Mushroom Biome during Hardmode.||Sells the autohammer, mushroom spear, and other mushroom-themed items.||n/a||Mushroom Spore|
|Wizard*||Found and spoken to in the Cavern layer in Hardmode.||Sells certain magical items.||n/a||Flower of Fire|
|Steampunker*||Once a Mechanical Boss is defeated.||Sells the Clentaminator, Teleporter, Jetpack, and other items.||n/a||Clockwork Assault Rifle|
|Cyborg*||Plantera is defeated.||Sells the Proximity Mine Launcher, Rockets and Nanites.||n/a||Rocket|
|Santa Claus||The Frost Legion is defeated, appearing only from December 15-31.||Sells the Santa costume, colored lights, Christmas trees and their decorations.||n/a||Bauble|
|Tax Collector||Found as a Tortured Soul in the Underworld and attacked with Purification Powder.||Collects property tax from the other NPCs for the Player. Each NPC that owns a house will pay 50 in property taxes. He can gather up to 10 at once.|| Classy Cane
- *Sells additional items during Halloween
Other NPCs[edit | edit source]
The following NPCs are not considered town NPCs because they do not move into houses.
|NPC||Acquired When||Description||Drops||Defending weapon|
|Traveling Merchant||22% spawn chance during morning hours (04:30-12:00 in-game time) once two other NPCs are present||Stays for one day, sells a random selection of unique items each day.|| Peddler's Hat
| Revolver |
|Old Man||Starting a new world||Found at the entrance to the Dungeon. Summons Skeletron, but only at night. Once Skeletron is defeated, the Old Man is no longer present. It is implied that the curse he was afflicted with was removed and he became the Clothier.||n/a||n/a|
|Skeleton Merchant||Found randomly underground||Sells Counterweights, Spelunker Glowsticks, Magic Lanterns, the Yoyo Glove and some other items based on the lunar cycle. Some items such as the Slap Hand can only be obtained from him.||n/a||Bone|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Real Estate Agent is the achievement you earn when all NPCs (excluding the Traveling Merchant, Skeleton Merchant, Old Man, and Santa Claus) are living in your world ( only).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- NPCs will take about 2 minutes to spawn after another NPC has spawned or dawn passes.
- Bound NPCs found underground can be freed by talking to them, after which they will always respawn whenever a vacant house is available. Having an empty room ready for them beforehand will cause them to move in as soon as they are off-screen, making them conveniently accessible within the NPC Town.
- Unlike chests and structures generated on world creation, bound NPCs spawn around the player's position on-the-fly, similar to enemy spawns. They are temporary, and can respawn again elsewhere if missed (see NPC spawning).
- Bound NPCs can be found by listening to their "hurt" sounds, especially the Mechanic, as Dungeon is teeming with monsters.
- NPCs will not spawn during an active Event or at night.
- Male NPCs will teleport to a King Statue when you activate it, and similarly female NPCs will teleport to a Queen Statue when you activate it.
- All NPCs have an Attack stat of 10.
- NPCs will teleport home during the night if the NPC and their home are off-screen. This can be useful for relocating them across the map without needing to escort them or to get them across terrain that would otherwise kill them (such as a lava moat).
- As the mobile version currently has no housing interface, it is not possible to assign NPCs to certain houses, therefore making it difficult to control which house each of them lives in.
- NPCs will drown if submerged in water for too long. This is an easy way to get NPC drops before obtaining lava or Rotten Eggs.
- You can create a Housing area where all your NPCs can have their biome specific trades by having 300 Pink Ice Block, 100 mushroom grass, and 80 Lihzahrd brick in one screen where the house is located
- During a blood moon all the woman NPCs are angry..
History[edit | edit source]
- 2 new NPCs added: Skeleton Merchant and Tax Collector.
- Improved the sprite of some NPCs.
- NPCs now can sit in chairs and avoid being near chests.
- NPCs now avoid monsters and fight back if necessary.
- Having all possible NPCs living in your world now unlocks the Real Estate Agent achievement.
- NPCs now talk to each other.
- Changed the spawn order for Town NPCs so that the more important ones spawn first.
- NPCs can now drown in water.
- 1.2.4: Added the Angler NPC. Fixed bugs with the sign / NPC chat display again. Fixed exploit where you could buy and sell stackable items for profit.
- 184.108.40.206: Fixed problems with rescued NPCs not having any names.
- 2 new NPCs added: Stylist and Traveling Merchant.
- Names are now decided on spawn rather than World Creation.
- Fixed a bug where numerous NPCs could spawn if you beat a hardmode boss in a non-hardmode world.
- Invasions can now spawn enemies anywhere near friendly NPCs instead of just the middle of the world.
- Enemy attacks no longer trigger Spectre set healing from hitting friendly NPCs.
- 1.2.2: NPCs now go to shelter during Eclipses.
- 220.127.116.11: Added some checks to ensure multiple NPCs of the same type don’t spawn.
- 18.104.22.168: Rotten Eggs now correctly damage friendly NPCs.
- 1.2.1: Several friendly NPCs will sell costumes.
- 1.1.1: Bound NPCs now can be untied with Autopause enabled. Santa Claus added.
- 3 new NPCs added: Goblin Tinkerer, Mechanic and Wizard.
- NPCs now have random names given to them on World Creation. Their deaths will be reported with these names. Also other NPCs will use them in their quotes. Upon respawning after Death will be given a new random name.
- NPCs now may be told where to live using the new Housing Menu feature.
- Two NPCs of the same type can no longer spawn, even in a multiplayer world. (Previously that was two additional merchants and second nurse. They had multiplayer conditions.)
- 22.214.171.124: NPCs now look at the character.
- Shops now sell items back to you. Shift-clicking items will automatically sell them.
- New sound for initiating a conversation to an NPC.
- 1.0.4: Added an option that will pause the game while talking to an NPC in single player. It defaults to off.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.