| Neptune's Shell
|| Accessory – Crafting material
|| Transforms the holder into merfolk when entering water
| Grants buff
|| Merfolk (buff)
| Buff duration
|| While underwater
| Buff tooltip
|| 'Can breathe and move easily underwater'
| Internal Item ID: 497
| Internal Buff ID: 34
is a Hardmode accessory
that aids underwater
performance by granting indefinite breathing time underwater and swimming via the
key, as well as eliminating the slow movement speed usually caused by water. On the Desktop version
, it has a 2% / 3%
(1/50 / 1/33
) chance to drop from Creature from the Deep
during a Solar Eclipse event
. On the Console versions
and Mobile versions
, it is only obtained through crafting.
Entering water with this accessory equipped transforms the player into Merfolk
, a buff
with no time limit. While in this form, water's usual effects are negated. The breath meter
will not decrease, therefore effectively preventing drowning
, and movement through water is faster than on dry land. Holding the
key also makes the character swim (fly continuously upward) in water, while falling faster than you would on land.
Neptune's Shell can be considered an upgrade from the Diving Gear in most respects, but lacks the underwater lighting of the Jellyfish Diving Gear and the extra mobility on ice of the Arctic Diving Gear.
Console and Mobile Version[edit | edit source]
- Wearing the Fish Bowl will not activate the Merfolk buff.
- Swimming speed nears that of flying through air with Wings.
- Swimming in Honey activates all the perks of Merfolk but does not allow you to move at full speed.
- Swimming in Lava does not activate the Merfolk form.
- Landing in and "jumping" from water alone (by swimming up past the surface), without touching land, does not reset flight time for Wings or variants of Rocket Boots.
- The Merfolk form overrides most clothing and equipment graphics. No armor or clothing will show on your character while Merfolk is active but a few vanity items will, like capes.
- The Merfolk buff overrides the Werewolf buff, replacing the graphics and cancelling the bonuses granted by the Moon Charm during the night.
- The Merfolk form is affected by Dyes.
- When equipped as a vanity accessory, the Merfolk transformation will appear regardless of whether the player is in water or not.
- If you hide the Merfolk transformation, only a character's wings' appearance will not show on said character while Merfolk is active.
- The name of the item refers to the Roman god, Neptune, god of the sea.