The in-game animation of the Night's Edge.
The Night's Edge is a high-end Broadsword, the strongest sword pre-Hardmode. It has an average attack speed, deals 42 damage, and has about the same reach as a Muramasa. When swung, the Night's Edge emits light similar to the Fiery Greatsword, but the effect is more subtle and does not last as long. Crafting this sword requires using a Light's Bane, a Muramasa, a Blade of Grass, and a Fiery Greatsword at a Demon Altar. A Blood Butcherer can be used in place of the Light's Bane so the sword can also be crafted in worlds with the Crimson.
The Night's Edge is useful against airborne enemies that are difficult to hit with faster swings, although it is not a substitute for a ranged weapon. It is also strong against heavily armored enemies relative to other melee weapons. It remains useful well into Hardmode, as its base damage is higher than the Cobalt Sword and Mythril Sword.
The best modifier for this weapon is Legendary.
 Used in
- Before the 1.1 patch, it was the strongest sword of the game. With said update, this title was taken by Excalibur, which has since been dethroned by many more swords in the 1.2 update. Despite this, it's still the strongest sword pre-Hardmode.
- The Night's Edge is the only item crafted at a demon altar that isn't a boss summoning item. It is also the most powerful and important item that can be crafted at a Demon Altar.
- This weapon could be a reference to the Four Sword of the Legend of Zelda, particularly because the four swords used to make this are green (Blade of Grass), red (Fiery Greatsword), blue (Muramasa), and purple (Light's Bane), the same colors of the split Links.
- Sprite altered.
- Damage increased from 40 to 42.
- Attack speed increased from very slow to average.
- 1.0.5: Introduced.