| PC-Only Content: This information (or parts of it) applies only to the PC version of Terraria.
The North Pole is a Spear weapon dropped by the Ice Queen during the Frost Moon. It fires an icy spear projectile with no mana or ammo cost. The projectile travels straight and is then affected by gravity. It leaves a trail of snowflakes that deal damage, effectively "carpet bombing" the area between the player and the landing point of the projectile. The projectile will break upon contact with any enemy or block, and cannot be swung continuously.
Like most Spears, its best Modifier is Godly.
- The snowflakes are affected by the direction of the weather, so make sure to adjust aim to compensate.
If you stand an exact distance from a door, the spear not only attempts to fire a projectile but that projectile may travel through the door.
With dye and Large Gems or beetle armor or any visible accesories (example the Fire Gauntlet
), the gem/beetles/accesories will change to the color of the equipped dye in Shirt slot when attacking with the North Pole. (Possible anomaly.)
- Fighting enemies out in the open gives a huge advantage, especially during the holiday moon summonings.
- Aim it straight up and launch the missile upwards to allow all the snowflakes to descend and rain unrelenting damage against large targets. This can destroy bosses like the Santa-NK1, Mourning Wood, and more with ease.
- This can be the highest melee DPS weapon in the game, and aiming is key to getting damage in. For example, spamming upwards on Pumpking easily damages him, and will probably take only a few seconds to defeat him.
- Any percentage of damage increase from armor, modifiers, or accessories used in addition with the tip above can easily cause the amount of overall accumulated damage to skyrocket dramatically.
- Its one of best weapons for pvp as if you fire the way it makes lots of snowflakes they are very hard to dodge and you can kill other players without even seeing them.
Animation of the North Pole.
- The North Pole is the northernmost point of the Earth, and many Christmas stories state that Santa Claus lives there. As the Frost Moon is a Christmas-themed event this item's name may refer to this, or alternatively to how the North Pole is a place of eternal frost.
- The North Pole is a spear, a form of polearm, so it may be a joke on the "North 'Pole'".
- Damage reduced from 75 to 73, projectile cap added.
- Fixed bug where north pole projectile could attain enough gravity velocity to pass through blocks.
- North Pole can no longer fire through walls.
- 1.2.2: Introduced.