The Nurse is an NPC that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
- There is an empty house.
- You have more than 100 maximum health (you have used at least one Life Crystal to increase your maximum health).
The Nurse will heal your wounds and cure you of any active debuffs, for a small price. Healing costs can range from a few copper to a few silver, depending on how much damage you've taken. She charges Copper equal to 75% of the health restored (e.g. 75 copper for 100 health), plus an additional 7 silver coins and 50 copper coins for every active debuff on your character.
- If you have full health and the Nurse requires some coins to heal you, this is because you have some debuffs.
- If you are planning on healing and drinking Ale, make sure to drink the Ale after healing, as healing after using Ale will remove the Tipsy debuff and all its attack benefits.
- One of the randomly generated names for the nurse is Kathryn, a shrewish woman in William Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew", which may be a reference to the nurse's personality.
- Another possible name for the nurse is Joy, a reference to the Pokémon anime, wherein every Pokécenter (hospital) has a nurse called Nurse Joy.
- There appears to be conflict between the Nurse and the Mechanic during a Blood Moon. When both are present, they have various hostile sayings that replace their standard quotes (see Quotes). During this time, the Merchant has a chance of saying, "Oh, great. I can hear [name of Mechanic] and [name of Nurse] arguing from here."
- one of the randomly generated names for the nurse is nurse, which may be a reference to the character Hello Nurse from the Animaniacs t.v. show. another similarity is how the nurse and hello nurse share a blonde hair color.
Note: The Nurse has many quotes that vary with the amount of damage you've taken, whether or not you have enough coins to pay, and whether it is a Blood moon.
Anytime other than during a Blood Moon:
- "Show me where it hurts."
- "That's not the biggest I've ever seen... Yes, I've seen bigger wounds for sure."
- "Turn your head and cough."
- "I wish [Name of Demolitionist] would be more careful. I'm getting tired of having to sew his limbs back on every day." (Only if Demolitionist is present.)
- "Would you like a lollipop?"
- "I need to have a serious talk with [Name of Guide]. How many times a week can you come in with severe lava burns?" (reference to the effects of the Guide Voodoo Doll when it is thrown into lava.)
- "Hey, has [Name of Arms Dealer] mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering." (Only if Arms Dealer is present.)
- "Have you seen that Old Man pacing around the dungeon? He looks troubled." (Only if Skeletron is not defeated.)
When player is moderately injured:
- "Quit being such a baby! I've seen worse."
- "Trouble with those bullies again?"
- "That's gonna need stitches!"
- "You look half digested. Have you been chasing slimes again?"
- "Hold on, I've got some cartoon bandages around here somewhere."
- "Walk it off, (Name of Player), you'll be fine. Sheesh."
- "Does it hurt when you do that? Don't do that."
When player is badly injured:
- "Dear friends we are gathered here today to bid farewell... oh, you'll be fine."
- "I think you look better this way."
- "Eww.. what happened to your face?"
- "You left your arm over there. Let me get that for you."
- "MY GOODNESS. I'm good but I'm not THAT good."
During a Blood Moon:
- When player is at full health to moderately injured:
- "What is that supposed to mean!?"
- "I don't think I like your tone."
- "Why are you even here? If you aren't bleeding, you don't need to be here. Get out."
- When player is badly injured:
- "If you're going to die, do it outside."
- "Hurry up and stop bleeding."
- "You better not get blood on me."
When player clicks Heal:
- When player clicks Heal if slightly injured:
- "That didn't hurt too bad, now did it?"
- When player clicks Heal if moderately injured:
- "All better. I don't want to see you jumping off any more cliffs."
- When player is badly injured:
- "That's probably going to leave a scar."
- When player clicks Heal if very badly injured:
- "I managed to sew your face back on. Be more careful next time."
- When player clicks Heal at full health:
- "Quit wasting my time."
- "I don't give happy endings."
- "I can't do anymore for you without plastic surgery."
- When player clicks Heal without enough coins:
- "I'm sorry, but you can't afford me."
- "I'm gonna need more gold than that."
- "I don't work for free you know."
- 1.1: Now has random name given to her on spawn. Her deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Arms Dealer • Clothier • Demolitionist • Dryad|
Guide • Merchant • Nurse
Mechanic • Goblin Tinkerer • Wizard