A Nymph (in the form of the Lost Girl) awaits her victim in the Cavern
.(The image has been brightened, the cavern is actually quite dark)
The Nymph is a very rare enemy that spawns in the Cavern layer. When encountered, it appears as the Lost Girl, who seems to be a helpless NPC in need of rescue. When a player gets close, it transforms and attacks as the Nymph, a dangerous enemy that deals high damage (for a pre-Hardmode enemy). Strangely, the lost girl does not appear to be wearing clothes.
It is one of the few enemies that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
- Minions and other enemy-seeking weapons will target the Lost Girl before she transforms into a Nymph.
- Nymphs spawn less frequently during Hardmode (because while the spawn rate increases so do the amount of enemies that spawn, making the Nymph's spawn rate go from 0.6% in pre-Hardmode to 0.1% in Hardmode)
- Nymphs spawn more often in the Cavern layer, not the Underground layer.
- It appears to spawn more frequently on the Console versions and Mobile versions.
- Before the Lost Girl is transformed into hostile Nymph form it takes damage from foes and can indeed die. It still drops items (including Metal Detector) if killed by enemies.
- The Lost Girl is immune to Confused, but the transformed Nymph isn't.
- While the Nymph is indeed one of the rarest enemies in Terraria, it spawns more frequently than is initially apparent, but is usually missed due to its more defensive and stationary behavior. It often remains in dark areas, without making its presence known by moving to attack players or making any sounds, like most enemies would. Once a player acquires a Lifeform Analyzer (and keeps an eye on its information display), the Nymph's actual spawn rate can become more apparent, and its drops easier to acquire.
- While it moves fast and hits hard, It cannot attack from a distance, nor can it jump very high. Use a ranged weapon from an out-of-reach position to dispatch it safely.
- A Harpoon, Flail, Boomerang or Yoyo can be effective, as Nymphs can be stun-locked. Even with its high health, the Harpoon can kill a Nymph in moments with no risk to the wielder, due to its extremely high rate of fire, so long as it is used at short range.
- A Hunter Potion, Lifeform Analyzer, or both can be useful for finding Nymphs.
- In Expert Mode, the Lost Girl form has twice the health of a normal friendly NPC. This makes it suspicious even on a first time encounter.
- In Greek and Latin mythology, a nymph is a lesser female deity who served the god of nature, Pan.
- The Lost Girl seems to be naked, likely to make her appear more vulnerable.
- The left half of the Nymph Banner is of the Lost Girl, while the right half is the actual Nymph enemy.
- Despite its name, the Nymph behaves more similarly to a siren, a female monster that charms her victims and draws them close with her voice, which Odysseus needed to face.