The Ocean is a large body of Water found on the surface of each map, at its far left and right edges, comprising the eastern 500ft (250 blocks) and the western 500ft of the map (at least on Large maps; it is closer to 150 on Small). It extends as deep as the Cavern Layer, with its maximum depth reached at the very edges of the map.
|Characters||Unique treasures||Unique drops||For Sale|
From Sea Snail:
From Pink Jellyfish:
From Duke Fishron :
From any enemy in Hardmode:
From fishing :
From the Pirate :
- Ocean enemies will only detect you and swim toward you if your character is in the water to at least one tile depth.
- If the Ocean has enough "dry" sand surface Desert enemies may spawn there, but the area near the water does not start growing desert plants.
- Hardmode Corruption or Crimson can convert all the sand into Ebonsand or Crimsand, effectively converting the Ocean into a Corrupted/Crimson Desert biome. One may want to protect the Ocean to preserve it as an actual Ocean Biome.
- Although you cant see the edge of the map in-game, but you can see the side with TEdit. It appears to be dirt and stone and some hidden treasure from the top, all the way to the bottom.
- If players without proper accessories try to swim to the side of the map, there is a serious risk of drowning. In addition to plenty of healing potions, bring items and potions that aid breathing, such as the Breathing Reed and Gills Potion, a Magic Mirror for returning home quickly, and Flippers to aid swimming. The Grappling Hook or Ivy Whip may also be of some help in returning to the surface for breath.
- Players may attempt to drain the ocean by tunneling down to the Underworld, where water evaporates. The Ocean is in fact drainable this way, and this method will allow the player to go back to the Ocean floor and easily pick up all the Coral without worry of drowning.
- Another way of draining the ocean is by making an air pocket, empty a bucket of lava in it and place a background object (chest, crystal shard etc.) in the lava. After that allow the water to flow in. The object will prevent obsidian from being generated, causing all the water to disappear.
- 126.96.36.199: Ocean mobs can now spawn on biome oceans, this applies to the Sleeping Angler Kid as well.
- 1.1: Now has its own background.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|