|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
The Ocean is a large body of Water found on the surface of each map, at its far left and right edges, comprising the eastern 500ft (250 blocks) and the western 500ft of the map (at least on Large maps; it is closer to 150 on Small). It extends as deep as the Cavern Layer, with its maximum depth reached at the very edges of the map.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From Sea Snail:
From Pink Jellyfish:
From Duke Fishron :
From fishing :
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Ocean enemies will only detect you and swim toward you if your character is in the water to at least one tile depth.
- If the Ocean has enough "dry" sand surface Desert enemies may spawn there, but the area near the water does not start growing desert plants.
- Sometimes, if you mine straight down to The Underworld from the ocean, the ocean will drain indefinitely and slowly flood it. This can be circumvented by re-logging into your world.
- Hardmode Corruption or Crimson can convert all the sand into Ebonsand or Crimsand, effectively converting the Ocean into a Corrupted/Crimson Desert biome. One may want to protect the Ocean to preserve it as an actual Ocean Biome.
- Although you can't see the edge of the map in-game, you can see the side with TEdit. It appears to be dirt and stone and some hidden treasure from the top, all the way to the bottom.
- Sometimes, the sea bed can go lower down than level layer, causing a bit of the underground's background to pop up.
- The Ocean biome's music is currently different in the Mobile version.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If players without proper accessories try to swim to the side of the map, there is a serious risk of drowning. In addition to plenty of healing potions, bring items and potions that aid breathing, such as the Breathing Reed and Gills Potion, a Magic Mirror for returning home quickly, and Flippers to aid swimming. The Grappling Hook or Ivy Whip may also be of some help in returning to the surface for breath.
- Players may drain the ocean by tunneling down to the Underworld, where water evaporates.
- Another way of draining the ocean is by making an air pocket, empty a bucket of lava in it and place a background object (chest, crystal shard etc.) in the lava. After that allow the water to flow in. The object will prevent obsidian from being generated, causing all the water to disappear.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Ocean mobs can now spawn on biome oceans, this applies to the Sleeping Angler Kid as well.
- 1.1: Now has its own background.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Floating Island • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Ruined House|