The Shadow Orb's behaviour when moving. Its height can be controlled using
The Shadow Orb is a Light Pet item that summons a slow-moving sphere which follows the player around and emits dim, purple light. The orb can move through solid objects and liquids unhindered, but moves very slowly, causing it to fall behind when the player is moving quickly. If it falls far enough behind, it will teleport to the player's location. It has a 20% chance of dropping from destroyed Shadow Orbs, but it can also be acquired by looting Corrupt Crates, which are obtained by fishing in the Corruption.
The Crimson counterpart to the Shadow Orb is the Crimson Heart.
- Procede with care when breaking the orbs, you can't forget the Eater of Worlds!
- The orb's position can be somewhat controlled using the and keys, allowing the player to reorient the orb directly above or below them respectively.
- The orb will emit purple light even if dyed.
- When paired with any color Acid dye, the Orb will have stripes in the color but it will be glitchy in the way that parts of, or even the whole Orb itself, can disappear.
- Can be paired with Reflective Gold Dye to make the Shadow Orb appear similarly to the Orb of Light from older versions of the game.
The Shadow Orb when it was still a Light Orb.
- 22.214.171.124: Fixed bug where you could have Fairy Bell and other light pets up simultaneously.
- 126.96.36.199: No longer states "5 minute duration" in its tooltip.
- Renamed from Orb of Light to Shadow Orb.
- Has a new sprite which appears dark purple instead of golden.
- No longer requires mana to use.
- Buff no longer expires.
- Movement speed of Orb was reduced.
- Light intensity was reduced from 100% to 65%.
- Using the item now gives the player a buff instead of treating it like a spell.
- Consequently, this causes the item to be automatically used when pressing the buff hotkey
- Pre-Release: Introduced as Orb of Light.