- For the enemy found during Sandstorms, see Sand Shark.
One possible approach to safely hunting sharks while breathing on the ocean floor. Active stone blocks deactivated when exiting for item collection on either side.
Sharks are enemies found in Oceans. They are rarer than other Ocean enemies like Crabs or Pink Jellyfish, though they are still relatively common.
On the Console versions and Mobile versions, a variant of Shark known as Orcas can be found in the Ocean. Aside from differences in name, sprite, and stats, the Shark and Orca have the same behavior.
- Sharks can only spawn within 250 tiles of the map's edge, or from a Shark Statue.
- Sharks do not flop around on land like most other fish, making them less dangerous to approach when beached.
- Along with other water enemies, Sharks will ignore players who aren't submerged in at least one tile of water.
- Sharks charge the player and can move quicker than most players. They are highly resistant to knockback, but strong weapons will usually at least halt their advance.
- Rapid-fire weapons, flails, and multi-attack weapons (such as the Swordfish or the Boomstick ) tend to be effective against Sharks.
- Using a Water Walking Potion or Water Walking Boots to stand at the surface and dive slightly down periodically, you can attract Sharks to within striking distance while staying safe. The Flipper accessory will keep you from sinking to the bottom.
- Construct a spot to stand on, but remain half-inside water. Add a shield of blocks in front of you to one tile above the water's surface. Use an arcing ranged or Flamelash-type weapon to fire around the shield, or a Vilethorn to fire through the shield.
- A similar method is to stay on the Ocean floor, dig a small pit in the sand, and build a shield above you but not connected to the ground, leaving a one-tile gap. Sharks will try to attack but won't fit. You can then attack with impunity. If the player is lacking proper swim gear or a Neptune's Shell, a stack of Gills Potions may come in handy for this approach.
- An easy way to farm sharks is to place Shark Statues over one bucket of lava stretched over a twelve block space, and activating the statue with a one second timer. This kills the sharks without risk to the player and keeps the items from being destroyed.
- In real life, orca are not actually related to sharks at all, but are a type of mammal.
- Real life sharks rarely attack humans deliberately, instead mistaking swimmers for injured seals, which they hunt.