|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
|Lead Ore||1 50|
Ores are primary crafting materials. They generally must be crafted into bars at a Furnace, after which they can craft several essential tools, weapons, armor, and other items. Some items require raw Ores themselves, most commonly bricks and potions. Raw Ores can also be used as plain blocks for construction.
Ores are generally found as veins of placed blocks Underground and below, and are mined with a Pickaxe. Lower-tier Ores can be found among Dirt near the Surface, or within Floating Islands. Some Ores are also dropped by bosses, namely Eye of Cthulhu, Eater of Worlds, Brain of Cthulhu, Ocram, and the Moon Lord.
A world will only contain one Ore type from each tier naturally, which are chosen at random (see tables below). The alternate Ore types that don't generate naturally in a world can be obtained from Crates, an Extractinator, or from other worlds. Hardmode Ore types are chosen at random when players destroy Altars.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
|Tier||Possible Ore Types|| Minimum Tool
|1||Copper Ore||Tin Ore||3||Surface, Underground, Cavern|
|2||Iron Ore||Lead Ore||3||Surface, Underground, Cavern|
|3||Silver Ore||Tungsten Ore||4||Underground, Cavern, Floating Islands|
|4||Gold Ore||Platinum Ore||4||Underground, Cavern, Floating Islands|
|5||Demonite Ore||Crimtane Ore||3|| Eye of Cthulhu, Underground, Cavern, |
Eater of Worlds (Demonite), Brain of Cthulhu (Crimtane)
|7||Obsidian||n/a||Contact between Water & Lava|
|8||Hellstone||3 + 1||Underworld|
|Tier||Possible Ore Types|| Minimum Tool
|9||Cobalt Ore||Palladium Ore||3||Underground, Cavern|
|10||Mythril Ore||Orichalcum Ore||4||Cavern|
|11||Adamantite Ore||Titanium Ore||5||Cavern (roughly at Lava depth), Ocram (adamantite)|
|12||Chlorophyte Ore||6||Underground Jungle|
Spawning the first three tiers of Hardmode Ore requires the destruction of Demon/Crimson Altars. This requires a Hammer with 80% hammer power or higher, e.g. the Pwnhammer. Each destroyed Altar spawns deposits of one of six new Hardmode Ores, replacing natural world blocks below the underground layer:
- First Altar: Cobalt Ore or Palladium Ore
- Second Altar: Mythril Ore or Orichalcum Ore
- Third Altar: Adamantite Ore or Titanium Ore
- Destroying a fourth Altar spawns another round of whichever type spawned for the first Altar. A fifth spawns more of whichever type spawned for the second Altar (Mythril or Orichalcum), etc.
- Destroying more Altars will never spawn Hardmode ore types beyond the 3 that were randomly assigned to your world during the initial round of destroyed Altars. A world with Palladium Ore deposits will never spawn Cobalt Ore deposits, or vice-versa.
- Chlorophyte Ore spawns on its own once Hardmode is triggered, and is not affected by destroyed Altars.
- Ore spawns will never overwrite existing Mineral deposits or placed Wood blocks of any type, nor any form of Brick, only Biome blocks (such as Dirt, Mud, Stone, etc).
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Each hardmode ore is chosen at the moment you break the first three altars in the world. You can choose the ores you like by quitting your world without saving (by ending the task or killing the process) after smashing your first altars. It is more easily done with a server, using the
- All ores except Hellstone and Obsidian are highlighted by the Spelunker buff, making it easy to find veins of ore. Hellstone is not lit up by the buff, but it is by a Dangersense Potion. Obsidian is easily found and made around lava.
- Using a Crate Potion will improve the chances of obtaining crates, and as such the ore-bearing Wooden Crates.
- If you fill in caves with spare natural blocks such as dirt, Hardmode ores can spawn in them. They can then also be seen on the minimap, presenting an easy way to convert extra blocks into ores and know their exact location.
- In the Mobile version, the Palladium Pickaxe and drill can mine Adamantite and Titanium.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone, as an item, is a recolor of Silver Ore.
- Most ores, when placed in pre-1.3 worlds, also appeared to be a modified stone texture, these being the ones released before 1.2, plus platinum and possibly palladium. Tin and lead also seem to currently share a base texture.
- Hellstone is the only ore that cannot be created infinitely within one world.
- The 8 pre-Hardmode ores can be obtained from an Extractinator or Slimes.
- The 8 pre-Hardmode ores and the Hardmode Ores that spawn from destroying Altars can be obtained from Crates.
- Chlorophyte can be grown in Mud.
- Meteorite can fall infinitely onto replenishable blocks.
- Demonite, Crimtane, Luminite, and on the console edition, Adamantite, can be obtained by fighting bosses.
- Obsidian can be created using liquid duplication.
- Iron and lead are the only ores not to have bricks.
- Despite being the end-game ore, Chlorophyte Ore only sells for 6 silver coins per ore, This may be because the player can keep farming large amounts of Chlorophyte Ore and selling it for money. Luminite sells for the most, being 30 silver coins per ore.
History[edit | edit source]
- Some ores are given a visual overhaul.
- Added Luminite.
- 1.2.3: Ore now stacks to 999. Chlorophyte is slightly more rare and grows slower. New hardmode ore spawns slightly less and is slightly harder to craft.
- There are 9 new ores.
- Your world has a chance to get alternative ore as a replacement for Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, Cobalt, Mythril, Adamantite..
- Added Chlorophyte Ore.
- 1.0.2: Mining stone and other hard ores make a 'tink' noise now.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Blocks ( Bricks) • Walls ( Brick Walls) Tiles: |