|Tooltip|| Absorbs 25% of damage done to players on your team|
Only active above 25% life
|Grants buff||Paladin's Shield (buff)|
|Buff duration||infinite (while equipped)|
|Buff tooltip||25% of damage taken will be redirected to another player|
|Internal Item ID: 938|
|Internal Buff ID: 43|
Paladin's Shield is a Hardmode post-Plantera accessory. While equipped, and when the player's health is above 25%, it grants the player the Paladin's Shield buff: This buff only affects team multiplayer, where it plays a support role by causing 25% of any damage inflicted on other teammates to transfer to the wearer instead. Teammates must remain within a certain range for this effect to work.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In update 126.96.36.199, the Paladin's Shield buff was broken: Damage dealt to teammates appeared to be properly reduced from the equipping player's perspective, but teammates would actually take full damage from their own perspective. From both perspectives, the wearer was dealt 25% of the incoming damage. This meant that the accessory was actually detrimental to equip, since the player would have taken extra damage for no actual benefit. This has been patched as of update 1.3.1.
- Damage is split by Paladin's Shield before either player's defense is factored in: The attacked teammate's defense is applied to the 75% damage they still take, and the wearer's own defense applies to the remaining 25%.
- The wearer will always take at least 1 damage from a teammate being hit. This will trigger the effects of items like the Sweetheart Necklace or the Star Veil.
- While wearing a Black Belt or Master Ninja Gear in addition, transferred damage from teammates has a chance of being "dodged" just like any other damage source.
- It is possible to be killed from the Paladin's Shield buff. One method is to have a nearby ally trigger some explosives, inflicting 25% of the fatal damage onto the player equipping the accessory. Players killed in this way will only have their name displayed in the chat, with no apparent cause of death.