Pets are little critters that follow you around. They are completely invincible and have no set duration: They will follow you until you die, summon a different pet, or cancel the associated buff.
Most Pets are purely cosmetic, but some of the console-exclusive Pets can do minimal damage to enemies. Summoned Minions operate similarly, but are primarily intended to aid combat rather than being cosmetic.
They seem to count as town NPCs, since whenever you have a pet, enemy spawn rates decrease.
In total, there are 37 pets: 22 on PC, 25 on console, 33 on mobile.
*All pets above are available in the mobile version.
| Console Exclusive Pets
|| Summoning Item
|| Item Source
|| Damages Enemies
|| Bat *
|| Vial of Blood
|| Vampire Miner, Gold Chest
|| Guinea Pig *
|| Dragon Snatcher, Gold Chest, Chest
|| Slime *
|| Petri Dish
|| Corrupt Slime, Gold Chest, Chest
|| Tiphia *
|| Dragon Hornet, Gold Chest, Ivy Chest
|| Werewolf *
|| Wolf Fang
|| Werewolf, Gold Chest, Ivy Chest
|| Zombie *
|| The Groom, Gold Chest, Shadow Chest
- Console-exclusive pet-summoning items now have a chance to drop from certain enemies, typically their respective versions. Their chance to appear in chests seems to have also increased. Pre-1.2 update, these items were extremely rare.
- Pets give the player a buff with the same name as the pet without a time limit, which will last until the player dies.
- PC pets do not deal damage, see minions instead.
- Pets do not count towards a player's current minion count.
- Some Pets such as the Cursed Sapling and Baby Truffle provide light for the player which is rather useful when caving or in dark areas.
- The three items below behave much like pets, but are not. They also supply light.
- 1.2.4: There are several new Pets including the Mini Minotaur. Fixed exploit where you could dupe pets with Bug Net in multiplayer. Fixed bug where other player's pets would disappear after a while (in multiplayer).
- 1.2.2: There are several new pets as well as 1 new mount that will drop off one of the Frost Moon bosses.
- 1.2.1: Added new Halloween themed pets.
- 1.2: There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies.
- 1.1.2: Added Pet Bunny.