Pets are little critters that follow you around. They are completely invincible and have no set duration: They will follow you until you die, summon a different pet, or cancel the associated buff.
Most Pets are purely cosmetic, but some of the console-exclusive Pets can do minimal damage to enemies. Pets that emit light can be used as a moving Torch, but they are not as reliable as a Light Pet. Summoned Minions operate similarly, but are primarily intended to aid combat rather than being cosmetic.
Pets can activate Teal Pressure Pads.
In total, there are 37 pets: 23 on Desktop version, 27 on Console version, 35 on Mobile version.
| Console and Mobile Exclusive Pets
|| Damages Enemies
|| Vial of Blood
|| Vampire Miner, Gold Chest
|| Guinea Pig
|| Dragon Snatcher, Gold Chest, Chest
|| Petri Dish
|| Corrupt Slime, Gold Chest, Chest
|| Dragon Hornet, Gold Chest, Ivy Chest
|| Wolf Fang
|| Werewolf, Gold Chest, Ivy Chest
|| The Groom, Gold Chest, Shadow Chest
1The Android pet is only found on Android devices, and the Golden Turtle pet is only found on Amazon Fire TV. Both pets can be obtained on other devices via trading.
- Pets give the player a buff with the same name as the pet.
- Pets do not count towards a player's current minion count.
- The Mini Minotaur is a reference to Tobuscus's song "Mini Minotaur," in which the Minotaur's weakness is tartar sauce.
- Console-exclusive pet-summoning items now have a chance to drop from certain enemies, typically their respective versions. Their chance to appear in chests seems to have also increased.
- In the Xbox Edition, when a pet disappears, it can't be resumed.
- The Nectar item looks like a flower, despite its name.
- Some Pets such as the Cursed Sapling and Baby Truffle provide light for the player which is rather useful when caving or in dark areas.
- The six items below are entities which can be summoned called Light Pets, They can be equipped in the "light pet" slot as of 1.3
- 126.96.36.199: Added a pet slot in Equipment tab.
- There are several new Pets including the Mini Minotaur.
- Fixed exploit where you could dupe pets with Bug Net in multiplayer.
- Fixed bug where other player's pets would disappear after a while (in multiplayer).
- 1.2.2: There are several new pets as well as 1 new mount that will drop off one of the Frost Moon bosses.
- 1.2.1: Added new Halloween themed pets.
- 1.2: There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies.
- 1.1.2: Added Pet Bunny.