"The Pirates have arrived!"
The Pirate Invasion is a Hardmode event where Pirate enemies spawn and swarm the world's original spawn point. A Pirate Invasion can occur randomly after certain conditions are met, or alternatively, when the player uses a Pirate Map.
For a single-player invasion, the player must kill 120 Pirates before the event is completed. This number increases with each additional player.
Criteria[edit | edit source]
|Progress bar icon|
The criteria for a random Pirate Invasion to occur is as follows:
- No other events are currently in progress.
- The Wall of Flesh must have been defeated.
- At least one Altar must be destroyed.
- The player must have at least 200 max life (if the player doesn't meet this requirement, the Pirate Map will not work).
Chances[edit | edit source]
- First, the Goblin Army event must fail to occur (59/60 chance).
- If a Pirate Invasion has not yet occurred on a given day, there is a 1/30 chance the first one will occur.
- If a Pirate Invasion already occurred on a given day, there is a 1/50 chance that another will occur on the same day.
The final probability is 3.27% each morning for the first invasion, and 1.96% for subsequent invasions.
If another invasion is in progress, there is no chance of a Pirate Invasion until the other ends.
Contents[edit | edit source]
From all enemies
From the Flying Dutchman:
Initial event[edit | edit source]
When a Pirate Invasion spawns or is summoned using a Pirate Map, a message will appear saying that "Pirates are approaching from the (East/West)!"
The message will repeat several times until the Pirates reach the initial spawn of the world or any area of the world above the surface which has a nearby NPC. When the Pirates' initial wave reaches the spawn, their arrival is announced with "The Pirates have arrived!"
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Walk the Plank|
|Defeat a Pirate Invasion for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you start a Pirate Invasion while a Flying Dutchman is still alive from another invasion, any Pirates spawned from it and killed after using the pirate map will count towards the invasion progress, even before the second invasion officially starts.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Pirates are essentially a harder version of the Goblin Army. Many of the same tactics and preparations will still prove effective.
- Since Pirate enemies have no piercing attacks, the player can shield him/herself with walls, dig a small hole and attack with a Flying Knife without fear of retribution.
- If fought while using a Flask of Gold, one can average between 45-55 per event, thus making this one of the easiest ways to make money.
- Pirate Invasions can be used to farm Biome Keys if you arrange for the Pirates to fight you in the corresponding biome. One way to do so is to set up an artificial biome near the spawn point. The other is to simply go near your spawn point to trigger the invasion, then fly to an existing biome that has been prepared to handle an invasion.
- Pirates themselves can drop Pirate Maps if fought within the Ocean biome.
- Goblin Battle Standards can be used to farm Pirate Maps if the Goblins are fought within an Ocean biome.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Pirate invasion enemies are some of the only human enemies in Terraria. (Others include Lunatic Cultist, Lunatic Devote, etc)
- When Pirate Deckhand and Pirate Corsair is forced through a 2 block high space, it will stand with its arms down for a few seconds and then start moving away from the player.
- If there is a Pirate Invasion going on, bosses may still spawn, naturally or by item summon. This puts the invasion on hold - the percentage completeion bar will disappear and no more pirates will spawn for the duration of the boss fight. When the boss is killed, the invasion will resume as it was before the boss fight.
History[edit | edit source]
- 18.104.22.168: Added the Flying Dutchman and trophy.
- 1.2.4: New drops added. Not destroying a Shadow Orb at all will no longer block Natural Pirate invasions.
- 1.2.1: Fixed a bug that would prevent Pirates from spawning.
- 22.214.171.124: Added rare drops of Golden Furniture Set and the Pirate, Pirate Captain, & Parrot Banner.
- 1.2: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events • Party|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|