- For strategies on how to defeat Plantera, see Guide:Plantera strategies.
After all mechanical bosses have been defeated, one or more Plantera's Bulbs will appear somewhere in the Underground Jungle. Destroying one of these bulbs requires a Pickaxe or a Drill, and upon doing so, Plantera will spawn.
 First stage
Plantera chases the player around the jungle, using its hooks to grapple surfaces; though it can travel through blocks. It fires thorns and occasionally spits bouncing spiky balls.
 Second stage
Once Plantera is brought down to half its original health it will change to its second form, with its pink bud falling away to reveal a thorn-filled mouth. It moves quicker and primarily attempts to make physical contact rather than fire ranged attacks. It also sprouts mouths attached by tentacles (similar to the Wall of Flesh's "Hungry" minions, though the tentacles do not detach when damaged), and releases floating pink spores that drift toward the player (similar to the spores released by the Giant Fungi Bulb).
 Enraged stage
Plantera only becomes "enraged" if it follows the player out of the Underground Jungle, for instance to the surface. This causes it to gain significantly more damage and movement speed, and will attempt to remain directly on top of the player, causing constant damage.
When Plantera is defeated for the first time it will always drop a Grenade Launcher with Rocket I's for ammo, as well as the Temple Key. The Pygmy Staff and the Seedling also have a chance to drop. From the second time onward the drops become randomized, although it will always drop a Temple Key each time it is killed.
Defeating Plantera causes new, more difficult enemy types to spawn in the Dungeon, who drop more new weapons and accessories. They also drop Ectoplasm, a new crafting material that offers access to the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon events, and the Spectre armor and tool sets.
The Cyborg NPC will appear, provided a vacant House is available. Some NPCs will sell previously unobtainable items, for example the Truffle, who will start selling the Autohammer (crafts Shroomite bars from Chlorophyte bars).
- Many consider Plantera to be the hardest boss in Terraria (though the Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon events are more difficult).
- If Plantera is currently summoned and you break another bulb, a second Plantera will not be summoned, though the bulb will be destroyed.
- If Plantera has no surfaces to latch onto, the body of Plantera will slowly float off, going up into the space portion of the map, or until it hits a space where it can latch onto again. This can cause the loot from the boss to be unreachable in some cases.
- If the player strays too far away from Plantera, it will despawn, including just after you spawn it.
- Excavate a sizeable area to allow easier dodging before summoning Plantera.
- Plantera's Bulb can spawn in player-made Jungle Biomes, which can provide a slightly easier way to fight Plantera.
- Line up 2 teleporters ~50 blocks away from each other in two small separate rooms with a tiny hole. When Plantera is summoned, fire at it using a Megashark or Clockwork Assault Rifle. When it gets too close, teleport to the other room.
- To find Plantera's Bulbs more easily, press M (for the map). Zoom in and look for a pink/purple rectangle. Put your mouse over the rectangle and it should say Plantera's Bulb.
- Narrow Passages slow Plantera as it takes more time for it to grip the surrounding terrain. Use of the Death Sickle in the narrow passages will result in up to 3,000 max damage in a 30-40 tile tunnel.
- If you have already beaten the Golem, the Stynger is very effective against Plantera.
- Using a golden shower may be useful as it lowers her defense.
- The name "Plantera" is a word play of the American metal band Pantera, which is Redigit's girlfriend's favorite band.
- Plantera drops "The Axe", which looks similar to the Washburn and Dean electric guitars often used by late Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell.
- Plantera's boss music features heavy electric guitar use.
- This boss bears a resemblance to Kalle Demos from The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
- Its speed has been reduced in both of its forms.
- Plantera now enrages when taken out of the Jungle or to the surface.
- When killed for the first time the message is now "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..."
- 188.8.131.52: When killed for the first time the message "Screams are coming from the dungeon" will appear.
- 184.108.40.206: Plantera now must be defeated to allow Hardmode dungeon enemies to spawn.
- 1.2: Introduced.
|Pre-Hardmode||King Slime • Queen Bee • Eye of Cthulhu • Eater of Worlds • Brain of Cthulhu • Skeletron • Wall of Flesh|
|Hardmode||The Twins • The Destroyer • Skeletron Prime • Plantera • Golem • Ocram|
|Pumpkin Moon||Mourning Wood • Pumpking|
|Frost Moon||Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen|