"The jungle grows restless..."
Plantera is a Hardmode Boss that can be fought after all three Mechanical Bosses (The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, and The Twins) have been defeated. In the Console version and Mobile versions, only one Mechanical Boss must be defeated.
After all three Mechanical Bosses have been defeated (only one required in the Console version and Mobile version), one or more Plantera's Bulbs will appear somewhere in the Underground Jungle. Destroying one of these bulbs requires a Pickaxe or a Drill, and upon doing so, Plantera will spawn immediately at that location, with the message, "Plantera has awoken!"
Plantera moves through blocks. It uses long vines to grapple foreground blocks, which cause damage on contact.
Plantera creeps after the player, firing pink Seeds and eventually green Poison Seeds. These fire more rapidly as Plantera takes more damage. Plantera also begins to spit large, bouncing thorn balls after taking a certain amount of damage.
Once Plantera is brought down to half of its original health, it changes to its second form, with its pink bud falling away to reveal a thorn-filled mouth. In this form, Plantera moves quicker, and primarily attempts to make physical contact rather than fire ranged attacks.
- It sprouts mouths that are attached via additional vines (called "Plantera's Tentacles").
- It begins releasing floating pink spore projectiles that drift toward the player, similar to the spores released by the Giant Fungi Bulb.
Plantera only becomes "enraged" if it follows the player out of the Underground Jungle, to the surface, for instance. This causes it to gain significantly more damage and movement speed, and will attempt to remain directly on top of the player, causing constant damage.
- Seeds (first stage): Similar to the stingers of the Hornets. They do not travel through blocks. The green Poison Seeds are more deadly than the more frequently fired pink Seeds.
- Thorn Balls: Thorn balls are similar to the Spiky Ball weapon. These bounce around erratically through the Jungle and can overwhelm the player if they stay in the same area for too long, as well as deal large amounts of damage on contact. Also they appear to be the new saving icon for the Console version replacing the Thorn Chakram.
- Hooks: The ends of Plantera's tentacles, which cling to surfaces and deal damage on contact.
- Plantera's Tentacles (second stage): Gnawing minions on "leashes", akin to smaller versions of The Hungry. They get in the way of the player's attacks, making piercing weapons more valuable. Relatively weak and easily killed with proper equipment.
- Spores (second stage): Similar to the Fungi Spores fired by the Giant Fungi Bulb. Travels through blocks. Easily destroyed, but deal 70 damage if touched.
The Temple Key allows access to the Lihzahrd Temple and Golem Boss, who drops Beetle Husk for crafting Beetle armor. In addition, the Temple Key can be combined with Biome Key Molds to craft keys for access to Biome Chests.
The Cyborg NPC becomes available, and the Truffle begins selling the Autohammer, used to craft Shroomite Bars for Shroomite armor and other endgame items. The Traveling Merchant will begin selling the Pulse Bow.
A message saying "Screams are echoing from the dungeon" will appear, as new, more difficult enemy types will begin to spawn in the Dungeon, which drop new weapons, accessories, and other useful items. Dungeon Spirits will begin to appear when enemies with more than 100 health are slain in the dungeon, which drop Ectoplasm, a new crafting material that offers access to the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon events, as well as the Spectre armor and tool sets.
Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread will be slowed down to 33% of their speed.
- If Plantera is currently summoned and you break another bulb, a second Plantera will not be summoned, though the bulb will be destroyed.
- If Plantera has no surfaces to latch onto, the body of Plantera will slowly float off, going up into the space portion of the map, or until it hits a space where it can latch onto again. This can cause the loot from the boss to be unreachable in some cases.
- If the player strays too far away from Plantera, it will despawn.
- If the player stands inside Plantera during its second form, Plantera's Tentacles will not target them.
- If you use the Magic Mirror while Plantera is summoned, Plantera has a chance of following you to your spawn point.
- Excavate a sizable area to allow easier dodging before summoning Plantera.
- Using a Gravitation Potion can help you avoid any further damage from spiky balls laying on the ground, as the spiky balls obey gravity and fall to the floor.
- Plantera's Bulb can spawn in player-made Jungle Biomes, which can provide a slightly easier way to fight Plantera.
- Narrow Passages slow Plantera as it takes more time for it to grip the surrounding terrain.
- Fighting with a Terra Blade can help with the battle since it's a Top-Tier Hardmode item and not a Post-Plantera item.
- The name "Plantera" is a play on the title of American metal band Pantera, which is Cenx's favorite band. Plantera drops "The Axe", which looks similar to the Washburn and Dean electric guitars often used by late Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell. Plantera's music also features electric guitars.
- As of the console 1.2 update, the saving icon is one of the spiked ball that Plantera fires. Prior to that, the Thorn Chakram was used as icon to save.
- Plantera is currently the only boss with unique music for the battle.
- 1.2.4: Fixed bug where "The jungle grows restless" message would appear before you have beat all 3 Mech Bosses.
- Plantera is no longer needed for solar eclipses.
- Its speed has been reduced.
- Plantera now enrages when taken out of the Jungle or to the surface.
- When killed for the first time the message is now "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..."
- 220.127.116.11: When killed for the first time the message "Screams are coming from the dungeon" will appear.
- Fixed a problem that defeating plantera would force serverside characters.
- Solar Eclipses now only happen after Plantera has been defeated.
- Plantera now must be defeated to allow Hardmode dungeon enemies to spawn.
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss.
- 1.2: Introduced.