Plantera is a Hardmode boss that can be fought after all three Mechanical Bosses (The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, and The Twins) have been defeated. Once this happens, Plantera's Bulbs will begin to spawn in the Underground Jungle biome.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
After all three Mechanical Bosses have been defeated, Plantera's Bulbs will randomly spawn in the Underground Jungle. Destroying one of these bulbs requires a Pickaxe or a Drill, and upon doing so, Plantera will spawn immediately with the message, "Plantera has awoken!"
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Plantera moves through blocks. It uses long vines to grapple foreground blocks, which cause 60 damage on contact.
First form[edit | edit source]
Plantera creeps after the player, firing pink Seeds and eventually green Poison Seeds. These fire more rapidly as Plantera takes more damage. Plantera also begins to spit large, bouncing thorn balls after taking a certain amount of damage.
Second form[edit | edit source]
Once Plantera is brought down to half of its original health, it changes to its second form, with its pink bud falling away to reveal a thorn-filled mouth. In this form, Plantera moves faster, and primarily attempts to make physical contact rather than fire ranged attacks.
- It sprouts mouths that are attached via additional vines (called "Plantera's Tentacles").
- It begins releasing floating pink spore projectiles that drift toward the player, similar to the spores released by the Giant Fungi Bulb.
Enraged behavior[edit | edit source]
Plantera only becomes "enraged" if it follows the player out of the Underground Jungle, to the surface, or to the Underworld. This causes it to obtain double damage, double (quadruple in second form) defense and increased movement speed, as well as changing its attack patterns and directly rushing the player with its body. Plantera's behavior returns to normal upon reentry of the Underground Jungle biome.
Attack types[edit | edit source]
- Plantera's Hooks: The ends of Plantera's tentacles, which cling to surfaces and deal 60 / 120 damage on contact.
- Seeds (first stage): Similar to the stingers of the Hornets and Flower Pow. In expert mode, these can travel through blocks. The green Poison Seeds are more deadly than the more frequently fired pink Seeds.
- Thorn Balls (first stage): Thorn balls are similar to the Spiky Ball weapon. These bounce around erratically through the Jungle and can overwhelm the player if they stay in the same area for too long, as well as deal large amounts of damage on contact. Plantera will not begin releasing thorn balls until it drops below around 24000 life. It will stop releasing the thorn balls once it enters the second stage, although the thorn balls previously released may linger for a bit.
- Plantera's Tentacles (second stage): Gnawing minions on "leashes", akin to smaller versions of The Hungry. They deal 60 / 120 damage and get in the way of the player's attacks, making piercing weapons more valuable. With 1000 / 2000 hp they are relatively weak and easily killed with proper equipment.
- Spores (second stage): Similar to the Fungi Spores fired by the Giant Fungi Bulb. Travels through blocks. Easily destroyed, but deal 70 damage if touched.
Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
In expert mode there are a few significant differences in Plantera's attacks, aside from the default increased health and damage.
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
Plantera's seeds, that originally didn't travel through blocks, now travel through them and do increased damage. The thorn balls are also more common and home in on the player.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
Plantera's tentacles, originally only attached to the body, now are attached to the Hooks and have increased in number (considering there are 3 more for each hook, there appears to be 9 extra tentacles). They also have more health than usual (including the default increased health). Plantera's body also does more damage and is faster than normal.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
When Plantera is defeated, it will always drop the Temple Key. The Temple Key allows access to the Jungle Temple and Golem. In the Console version and Mobile version, the Temple Key can also be combined with Biome Key Molds to craft Biome Keys; but in the Desktop version, Biome Keys drop in their respective biomes and no longer require molds.
A status message saying "Screams are echoing from the dungeon" will appear, signaling that new, more difficult enemy types will begin spawning in the Dungeon (see details). These drop new weapons, accessories, and other useful items.Dungeon Spirits will begin to appear when enemies with more than 100 health are slain in the dungeon, which drop Ectoplasm, a new crafting material that offers access to the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon events, as well as the Spectre Bars used to craft Spectre armor and tool sets.
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread will be slowed down to 1/3 (33%) of their previous speed.
- The Cyborg NPC becomes available.
- The Truffle begins selling the Autohammer, used to craft Shroomite Bars, which are used to craft Shroomite armor, the Hoverboard, and the Drill Containment Unit.
- The Traveling Merchant will begin selling the Pulse Bow.
- The Witch Doctor begins selling several items that are related to minion summoning (requires Pygmy Staff), as well as the Vial of Venom.
- The Biome Keys can now be used to open the Biome Chests in the dungeon
- Butcher, Nailhead, Deadly Sphere, Psycho and Dr. ManFly will start spawning during the Solar Eclipse.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|The Great Southern Plantkill • "Defeat Plantera, the overgrown monstrosity of the jungle's depths."|
|Defeat Plantera for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Plantera is currently summoned and you break another bulb, a second Plantera will not be summoned, though the bulb will be destroyed.
- If Plantera has no surfaces to latch onto, it will slowly float off, going up into the space portion of the map, or until it hits a space where it can latch onto again.
- If the player strays too far away from Plantera, it will despawn.
- Plantera is immune to Poison, Venom, and Confusion Debuffs.
- If the three mechanical bosses are defeated prior to the Wall of Flesh, then killing the Wall of Flesh is still required to trigger "The jungle grows restless."
- The player should be especially cautious of Plantera's thorn balls, as they do significantly more damage in the Mobile version.
- It is possible that a Mushroom Biome is growing, or The Corruption, The Crimson or The Hallow is infecting in the jungle. If so, Plantera will become enraged upon entering the biome, so it is best to not fight near any of these.
- Plantera will also turn the same shade of orange it does when it has the Ichor debuff applied to it.
- Plantera will be enraged upon entering a marble or granite biome and it is heavily advised to avoid them.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Excavate a sizable area to allow easier dodging before summoning Plantera.
- Using a Gravitation Potion can help the player avoid any further damage from spiky balls laying on the ground, as the spiky balls obey gravity and fall to the floor.
- Plantera's Bulb can spawn in player-made Jungle Biomes, which can provide a slightly easier way to fight Plantera.
- Narrow passages slow Plantera as it takes more time for it to grip the surrounding terrain.
- Plantera spawns off-screen and is quite easy to outrun, which means if the player intends for Plantera to chase them, they will need to stop periodically or move much more slowly than normal.
- Widening a Bee Hive in the Underground Jungle is a fast and effective way of making an arena for fighting Plantera (but watch out for Larva).
- The Flamethrower could be considered for fighting Plantera due to the continuous stream of projectiles emitted, and is a pre-Plantera weapon which can easily be crafted after defeating Skeletron Prime.
- A recommendation is Chlorophyte Arrow, as they bounce off walls, allowing the player to get multiple hits on Plantera.
- Equipping a Cobalt Shield will help with melee attacks because Plantera won't knock the player away, but the player may receive more damage since Plantera can get closer.
- Using an Unreal Megashark with cursed bullets is very useful.
- Using Golden Shower to lower Plantera's defense is sure to make the fight less difficult. In addition, the Ichor debuff also allows you to make Plantera more visible, as it gives it a bright yellow shading.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name "Plantera" is a play on the title of American metal band Pantera, which is Cenx's favorite band. Plantera drops "The Axe", which looks similar to the Washburn and Dean electric guitars often used by late Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell. Also, the achievement for defeating Plantera is called "The Great Southern Plantkill" in reference to the Pantera album "The Great Southern Trendkill".
- Also, "Plantera" is Swedish for "planting"
- On the Console version the saving icon is one of the spiked balls that Plantera fires.
- On the 3DS version, Plantera can drop the Zapinator. This appears to be a 3DS-exclusive drop.
History[edit | edit source]
- 22.214.171.124: Fixed Plantera flag not triggering for non-english users.
- Increased chance for The Axe to be dropped by Plantera from 0.5% to 2%.
- Biome Chests can no longer be opened until Plantera is defeated.
- Temple Keys are no longer required to make Biome Keys.
- Added Expert Mode drop, Spore Sac.
- Now has a chance to drop the Seedler.
- In Expert Mode seeds fired from Plantera now travel through blocks.
- 1.2.4: Fixed bug where "The jungle grows restless" message would appear before you have beaten all 3 Mech Bosses.
- Plantera is no longer needed for solar eclipses.
- Its speed has been reduced.
- Plantera now enrages when taken out of the Jungle or to the surface.
- 126.96.36.199: When killed for the first time the message "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." will now appear.
- Fixed a problem that defeating plantera would force serverside characters.
- Solar Eclipses now only happen after Plantera has been defeated.
- Plantera now must be defeated to allow Hardmode dungeon enemies to spawn.
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss.
- 1.2: Introduced.