Presents are special items that have a 7.69% chance (1/13) to be dropped by any enemy during the Christmas holiday season (December 15–31). Presents operate like Grab Bags, each containing random items. They are opened by right-clicking them from within the player's inventory, similar to Goodie Bags and Crates.
Enemies spawned by Statues, and enemies from the Old One's Army, are exceptions, and will not drop Presents.
Presents collected during the Christmas season can still be opened outside that time period.
If you missed the holiday seasonal event and you just can't wait, changing the date on your device to a time between December 15th - 31st will allow you to receive presents from monster drops as well as have Santa Claus
move into a House
- Presents can be placed down as furniture. The color of the present changes each time you place it down.
- If you open a present and get an outfit, you get all 3 parts.
- Apparently after the 1.1.1 Christmas update, some unusual items could drop from presents. There are reports on the forum of drops which included Steampunker wings, Holiday Bauble (Elfa pet), Hardmode items: Mythril Anvil, Hallowed Repeater, Megashark, Drax and Ice Rod, Copper, Silver and Gold Watches, GPS, various ores and bars, weapons: Star Cannon, Starfury, Bladed Glove and Demon Bow, boss summoning items: Mechanical Worm, Mechanical Skull, lower tier Swords and Bows, and more common items like doors, tables, acorns, and gel. .
- The Mobile version continues to drop unusual Presents, including some that are considered unobtainable to the mobile version, such as: Ruler, Meowmere, S.D.M.G., Gravity Globe, Slice of Cake, Celestial Sigil, and the Phantasm.
- Mobile 1.2.12785: Presents can now drop unusual items like unobtainable items and and items unavailable in the Mobile version.
- 1.2.3: Present Mimic now only drops Presents during Christmas.
- Blue Present, Green Present, and Yellow Present (Item IDs 599-601) no longer drop. Any of these still in the player's storage or inventory remain unchanged.
- Enemies now drop Present (Item ID 1869) instead of the previous Blue, Green, and Yellow Presents.
- Now stackable.
- Now placeable, with eight different color variations when placed.
- Larger assortment of possible drops (previously only contained Candy Cane Blocks, Green Candy Cane Blocks, or Snow Globe.
- 1.1.1: Introduced.