- Not to be confused with Pumpking, a hardmode Pumpkin Moon event boss.
Pumpkin growth stages.
Pumpkins are a crafting material that grow on Grass. They can be planted manually by the player year-round by purchasing Pumpkin Seeds from the Dryad NPC and placing them on Grass. They also grow naturally in random Grass locations during the Halloween seasonal event.
Harvesting fully-grown Pumpkins during the Halloween season will rarely yield a Magical Pumpkin Seed, which is used to summon the Squashling pet.
Pumpkin Seeds each require 2 blocks width and 2 blocks height to grow Pumpkins.
- A Pumpkin plant will yield Pumpkins in any stage except while it is fully green. The bigger it is, the more Pumpkins will be harvested.
- The Staff of Regrowth will harvest and destroy growing pumpkins in the same manner as other tools, like pickaxes.
- Pumpkins can only grow on the Surface layer.
- Pumpkins can grow in front of background walls.
- Pumpkins can be harvested by any means (such as Actuators) in order to obtain the Magical Pumpkin Seed.
- An easy way to farm Pumpkins during the Halloween season is to place strips of Grass with Dart Traps firing just above them to destroy anything naturally growing on top of the Grass. This will allow Pumpkins to grow instead, as Dart Traps do not destroy Pumpkins. This technique can help you obtain the Magical Pumpkin Seed.
- It may be a good idea to start farming Pumpkins in Pre-Hardmode so you have access to a stock of Pumpkins for Pumpkin Moon Medallions in Hardmode.
- Making a new character during Halloween can give you an edge in the early game, as pumpkins spawn naturally, and the Pumpkin armor made from them can last you all the way until the Eye of Cthulhu.
- Now sells for 25 (previously had no sell value).
- Added Pumpkin Sink.
- 1.2.4: Added more Pumpkin furniture: Bookcase, Chandelier, Chest, Clock, Lamp, Lantern, Piano, and Sofa.
- 1.2.3: Added more Pumpkin furniture: Bathtub, Bed, Candle, Candelabra, Dresser.
- 1.2.1: Introduced, along with Pumpkin Wall, Platform, Door, Table, Chair, Work Bench, Jack 'O Lantern, Hanging Jack 'O Lantern, Jackelier, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Moon Medallion, and Pumpkin armor.