- See also: Guide:Defending against events
The Pumpkin Moon is a Hardmode, post-Plantera Halloween-themed event (but not to be confused with the Halloween seasonal event) summoned with the Pumpkin Moon Medallion any time at night and ends at dawn (4:30AM). During the event, unique and highly difficult enemies spawn at high rates and attack the player. Visually, the moon turns into a jack-o-lantern, though remaining in its current phase. Unique music also plays.
The Pumpkin Moon event is different from invasion-style events like the Goblin Army. Enemies in this event spawn in waves. To progress to the next wave, you must kill a certain point total of enemies in the current wave. Different enemies are worth a different number of points. When the current wave's score is reached, the next wave begins and the score is reset back to 0. A chat message will appear and a new set of enemies will begin spawning, based on that wave. In the later waves, multiple boss-level enemies can spawn at once.
The Pumpkin Moon event ends when the night is over. The goal of the event is to progress through all 15 waves before the event ends.
Pumpkin Moon enemies drop powerful weapons and accessories. There are also pets and vanity items available. Most drop with extreme rarity, and even players who manage to complete the event will find they need to do so several times before obtaining them. Drop chances for Boss-dropped items increase the later the wave in which they spawn. In the final wave, the Mourning Wood and Pumpking are both guaranteed to drop their respective Trophies.
After the event a Solar Eclipse has a 5% chance to occur instead of the normal 4%.
The Pumpkin Moon Medallion that summons the Pumpkin Moon requires materials only available in Hardmode worlds where the player has already defeated Plantera. As such, it is intended to present a challenge even to players with mid-to-late Hardmode equipment. However, it can be triggered on a pre-Hardmode world.
Contents[edit | edit source]
From Mourning Wood
From Headless Horseman:
Waves[edit | edit source]
Points per kill[edit | edit source]
- Scarecrow: 1
- Splinterling: 2
- Hellhound: 4
- Poltergeist: 8
- Headless Horseman: 25
- Mourning Wood: 75
- Pumpking: 150
Wave scores & enemies[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Reach Wave 15 of the Pumpkin Moon event for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Water Candles, Battle Potions and Calming Potions have no effect during the invasion.
- If the player is killed during the event, the event is not cancelled. The player will keep re-spawning and can continue fighting its enemies as the event continues until dawn. In single-player games, exiting the world and reloading it will cancel the event.
- Pumpking is the only boss in the event that flies consistently through blocks and cannot be confined. It behaves similarly to Skeletron, and has a similar size.
- The Pumpkin Moon does not stack with the Blood Moon. Summoning the Pumpkin Moon will cancel the Blood Moon if it is active.
- Spawn rates for areas where Pumpkin Moon enemies cannot spawn are also increased. For example, there will spawn lots of Sharks and Crabs in the Ocean, allowing the player to farm for Pirate Maps.
- Pirates will cancel the Pumpkin Moon if summoned with the Pirate Map during the event.
- Lingering enemies beaten after the event is over will never drop any rare items.
- On the mobile version Mourning Wood is excluded on wave 8.
- In Expert mode, the drop rates are calculated as if they were five waves higher, meaning trophies and guaranteed rare drops will start from wave 10 onwards.
- Like the Frost Moon, enemies can still drop hearts regardless of the player's health.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A very good way to go through waves, until any Pumpkings arrive at wave 7, and even kill some if you aim correctly - is to use a Cannon at a 37 blocks high from the ground (where the mobs are) platform as each Cannonball deals 300 damage, which is devastating for the early waves even for Mourning Woods and even more that they can't hit you with most of their attacks.
- Most Pumpkin Moon enemies are susceptible to the Ichor Debuff, which makes a Flask of Ichor or the Golden Shower spell very effective.
- Players should kill the enemies as soon as they spawn, to ensure that more enemies can spawn continuously in order to increase the chances of reaching later waves.
- Using Dynamite with an explosion-proof arena causes splash damage that can demolish early waves. Later waves with Mourning Woods and/or Pumpking is less effective as there are less grouped enemies around.
- Use flame traps or different traps from the jungle temple.
- Using post-Moon Lord gear makes the event much easier, even in expert mode. This can be useful for end-game farming.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed Invasion Bar progress going negative if you exceed ~32k points in multiplayer.
- 184.108.40.206: Added Headless Horseman Banner, Hellhound Banner, Poltergeist Banner, Scarecrow Banner, and Splinterling Banner. Trophies can start rarely dropping by Wave 10 in Expert Mode
- 1.2.2: Music from this event can now be recorded on a Music Box and will no longer turn them into Ankh Charms.
- 220.127.116.11: A brand new music track has been added to the game for the Pumpkin Moon Event.
- 18.104.22.168: Mechanical Bosses will no longer be able to naturally spawn during Pumpkin Moons.
- 1.2.1: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|