The Pumpkin Moon is an event added in the 1.2.1 Halloween update and summoned with the Pumpkin Moon Medallion at night. The Pumpkin Moon is an invasion-like event that replaces a normal night's Moon Phase. The visual indicator is the moon turning orange with a jack-o-lantern face on it. The moon stays in the same phase (waning, waxing, full, and everything in between) as the normal moon would be, but uses the new texture. The music that plays during Pumpkin Moon is a unique music track.
The Pumpkin Moon Medallion requires Pumpkins, Ectoplasm and Hallowed Bars to create, meaning it is intended to only be accessible to players who have already completed virtually all of the end-game content in Hardmode, and as such, is meant to be a challenge even to players with the best possible equipment. In the final waves, the player(s) will be faced with multiple boss-level enemies at once. It is currently the most difficult event in the game.
The rewards for the Pumpkin Moon are the weapons and accessories dropped by the enemies spawned in the event, which are essentially an entire new tier of equipment, providing new, more powerful versions of existing weapons and accessories. As well, there are pet items and vanity items.
From Mourning Wood (all uncommon):
From Headless Horseman:
From Pumpking (all uncommon):
 The Event
There are up to 15 waves in the Pumpkin Moon, and waves progress as you kill Pumpkin Moon Enemies. The bosses will drop items more frequently if they are killed during later waves. On wave 15, the Mourning Wood and the Pumpking are both guaranteed to drop their respective Trophies. Each Pumpkin Moon enemy increases the wave's score by a differing amount when killed. After a wave's score is met the next wave begins, and the wave score is reset to 0.
If the event is not completed by sunrise (4:30AM) the event will simply end.
Scores required for each wave:
Enemies during each wave:
|2||Scarecrow, and Splinterling|
|3||Scarecrow, Splinterling, and Hellhound|
|4||Scarecrow, Splinterling, Hellhound, and Mourning Wood|
|5||Scarecrow, Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, and Mourning Wood|
|6||Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, and Mourning Wood|
|7||Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, and Pumpking|
|8||Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|9||Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, Headless Horseman, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|10||Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, Headless Horseman, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|11||Scarecrow, Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, Headless Horseman, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|12||Splinterling, Hellhound, Poltergeist, Headless Horseman, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|13||Poltergeist, Headless Horseman, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|14||Headless Horseman, Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
|15||Mourning Wood, and Pumpking|
 Scores for Defeating Enemies
- Scarecrow: 1
- Splinterling: 2
- Hellhound: 4
- Poltergeist: 8
- Headless Horseman: 25
- Mourning Wood: 75
- Pumpking: 150
 Creating an Arena
One of the best ways to get to wave 15 is to create an arena with several traps to deal with the smaller enemies while you focus on the Pumpking, such as the one detailed in the video below.
- Since the wave number increases based on the number of enemies killed, taking a Battle Potion to increase the spawn rate is highly advised. If this is done, the player should bring two potions into battle, since one of them taken at the beginning of the night will wear off about halfway in.
- Most Pumpkin Moon enemies are susceptible to the Ichor Debuff, making a Flask of Ichor or the Golden Shower spell very valuable for this event.
- The Pumpkin Moon is arguably the hardest event/boss currently in the game. It is extremely advised to use the best gear you can possibly acquire during a Pumpkin Moon.
- The Pumpkin Moon does not stack with the Blood Moon. Summoning the Pumpkin Moon will cancel the Blood Moon if it is active.
- Spawn rates for areas where Pumpkin Moon enemies can not spawn are also increased. For example, there will spawn lots of sharks/crabs in the ocean, allowing the player to farm for pirate maps.
- If playing on a server, you can use the server console command "midnight" constantly to make the Pumpkin Moon last forever, allowing you to easily farm all the loot without effort. You will, however, have to constantly type the command in (Once every 4-5 minutes.), which leaves you vulnerable in-game.
- Although the Pumpkin Moon event was added in the Halloween update, it is available year round. The pumpkin item needed for crafting can be grown from seeds sold by the dryad.
- 1.2.1: Introduced.
|Blood Moon • Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Rain • Solar Eclipse • Pirate Invasion • Pumpkin Moon|