- See also: Guide:Defending against events
The Pumpkin Moon is an endgame Halloween-themed event summoned with the Pumpkin Moon Medallion at night (7:30PM) And ends at dawn (4:30AM). During the event, unique and highly difficult enemies spawn at high rates and attack the player. It is similar to the Frost Moon event, though slightly less difficult, and is currently the second most difficult event in the game (the first being the Frost Moon). Visually, the moon turns into a jack-o-lantern, though remaining in its current phase. Unique music also plays.
The entire Pumpkin Moon event consists of 15 waves, which progress as you reach certain kill scores (though kill scores are not displayed to the player). Each killed enemy increases the kill score by a differing amount. After a wave's required score is met, the next wave begins, and the kill score is reset to 0. Chat messages will indicate when the event advances waves, and which wave has been achieved. See the table below (Waves) for the points awarded for each enemy and the score required for each wave. After the event a Solar Eclipse has a higher chance to occur 5% instead of 4%.
The Pumpkin Moon Medallion that summons the Pumpkin Moon requires materials only available in Hardmode worlds where the player has already defeated Plantera. As such, it is intended to present a challenge even to players with the best possible equipment. However, it can be triggered on a pre-Hardmode world. In the final waves, multiple boss-level enemies are fought at once.
Pumpkin Moon enemies drop powerful weapons and accessories. There are also pets and vanity items. Most drop with extreme rarity, and even players who manage to complete the event will find they need to do so several times before obtaining them. Drop chances for Boss-dropped items increase the later the wave in which they spawn. In the final wave, the Mourning Wood and Pumpking are both guaranteed to drop their respective Trophies.
From Mourning Wood
From Headless Horseman:
Points per kill
- Scarecrow: 1
- Splinterling: 2
- Hellhound: 4
- Poltergeist: 8
- Headless Horseman: 25
- Mourning Wood: 75
- Pumpking: 150
Wave scores & enemies
- Water Candles, Battle Potions and Calming Potions have no effect during the invasion.
- If the player is killed during the event, the event is not cancelled. The player will keep re-spawning and can continue fighting its enemies as the event continues until dawn. In single-player games, exiting the world and reloading it will cancel the event.
- Pumpking is the only boss in the event that flies consistently through blocks and cannot be confined. It behaves similarly to Skeletron, and has a similar size.
- The Pumpkin Moon does not stack with the Blood Moon. Summoning the Pumpkin Moon will cancel the Blood Moon if it is active.
- Spawn rates for areas where Pumpkin Moon enemies cannot spawn are also increased. For example, there will spawn lots of Sharks and Crabs in the Ocean, allowing the player to farm for Pirate Maps.
- The event can be triggered in pre-Hardmode worlds if its summoning item is brought there.
- Pirates will cancel the Pumpkin Moon if summoned with the Pirate Map during the event.
- Lingering enemies beaten after the event is over will never drop any rare items.
- On the mobile version Mourning Wood is excluded on wave 8.
- Most Pumpkin Moon enemies are susceptible to the Ichor Debuff, which makes a Flask of Ichor or the Golden Shower spell very effective.
- Players should kill the enemies as soon as they spawn, to ensure that more enemies can spawn continuously in order to increase the chances of reaching later waves.
- Using Dynamite with an explosion-proof arena causes splash damage that can demolish early waves. Later waves with Mourning Woods and/or Pumpking is less effective as there are less grouped enemies around.
- 1.2.2: Music from this event can now be recorded on a Music Box and will no longer turn them into Ankh Charms.
- 18.104.22.168: A new music track has been added for the Pumpkin Moon Event.
- 22.214.171.124: Mechanical Bosses will no longer spawn during Pumpkin Moons.
- 1.2.1: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|