|AI Type||Queen Bee AI|
|Damage|| 30 / 54 (melee)|
22 / 44 (stinger)
|Max Life||3400 / 4760|
|Defense||8 / 8-20 depending on health|
|Debuff duration|| 10 seconds / 20 seconds|
2 - 6 seconds
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
One of the first 3 items will always drop
|Internal NPC ID: 222|
The Queen Bee is a boss summoned by breaking the Larva inside Bee Hives of the Underground Jungle, or using an Abeemination anywhere within the Jungle. She is immune to the Confused debuff, and can inflict the Poisoned debuff. She is the fastest boss ingame and is similar to Mothron sans his form, a moth.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Queen Bee has three distinct attack patterns:
- She will level herself horizontally with the player and fly back and forth three times in an attempt to ram the player.
- She will spawn bees while hovering (which will include larger ones in Expert mode), which attack the player.
- Similar to Hornets, the Queen Bee will rapidly fire poisonous stingers at the player. During this pattern, she will alternate between hovering above the player, and positioning herself to swoop in at the player from above.
- In Expert Mode, the lower her health is, the faster she'll do these attack patterns. This is most notable with her first attack, where she charges super quickly at ~1/10 HP
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Defeat Queen Bee for the first time.|
Drops[edit | edit source]
- Defeating the Queen Bee will yield one of three weapons: the Bee Keeper, Bee Gun, or The Bee's Knees. Each has an equal 33% chance of being dropped, but one will always be dropped when the boss is slain.
- The Hive Wand and Honey Comb each have independent 33% chances, respectively, to drop in addition to one of those three items (one may drop, both may drop, or neither may drop).
- When the Hive Wand does not drop, there is a 50% chance that one piece of the Bee costume will drop.
- Additionally, the Nectar and Honeyed Goggles each have completely independent 6.7% and 5% chances of dropping, respectively.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Occasionally, a Hive will be large enough to possess 2 Larvae. If a player is using a bouncing weapon such as the Water Bolt, they need to be wary of the second Larva, lest they be set upon by another Queen Bee.
- The larva can be broken by any damaging weapon, similar to a Pot, so many actions such as the Orichalcum armor's set bonus or a Star Cloak can break the Larva, causing the Queen Bee to be unintentionally spawned.
- This is especially common if there are remaining larva within the Jungle late into the game, when it is possible to hit things anywhere on the screen, even behind solid blocks.
- Once the Queen Bee is defeated, the Witch Doctor will spawn if there is an available house.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Honey naturally found in Bee Hives can be used to craft Bottled Honey or provide passive health regeneration mid-fight, but be careful to avoid being knocked into it.
- The bees do little damage, but can easily become an annoyance as they can push the player around. In the case that you don't have a Cobalt Shield or Obsidian Shield yet to avoid knockback, any Grappling Hooks can be used to anchor yourself to blocks.
- Well placed Platforms and using Shurikens makes killing the Queen Bee easy.
- Using a Thorn Chakram or Blade of Grass can poison her, and can kill her easily. Most players defeat this boss late in pre-Hardmode, around the time when these weapons become obtained.
- Bees spawned by the player will still attack the Queen Bee
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme music is the same as the music on consoles and mobile when fighting the Eye of Cthulhu or Ocram.
- The Queen Bee has the most unique drops of any boss in the game, with 14.
History[edit | edit source]
- 126.96.36.199: Now has a chance of dropping The Bee's Knees.
- 1.2.4: New drops added.
- 1.2.3: Fixed exploit where queen bee could get stuck in tiles and not move.
- 1.2: Introduced.