Rain occurs randomly and affects all surface biomes for its duration. Each Rain event begins at a random time and lasts for 24 in-game hours (24 real-world minutes), spanning both day and night portions. When a player is in a Snow Biome during Rain, it appears as a Blizzard, causing snowfall volume to increase.
Rain does not actually produce new Water tiles, nor cause existing Water levels to rise, but it does spawn some unique enemies or enemy variants, and certain Critters behave differently. Some comical effects include Zombies wearing rain coats; Slimes carrying umbrellas; and Goldfish walking upright on land, using their tail fins to casually shuffle about (swimming goldfish will exit water and walk, and walking goldfish will also spawn anew on land).
On the Desktop version, rain has three different variations; Light Rain, regular Rain, and Heavy Rain. The heavier the rainfall, the dimmer the sunlight will be, with heavy rain causing noticeable darkness. These variations are only graphical, can be detected with a Weather Radio, and can change multiple times throughout a single storm.
Other effects include:
- There is a +20% Fishing Power bonus in all liquid bodies during Rain.
- Waterleaf blooms.
- Worms spawn frequently in Forest biomes.
- NPCs remain in their Houses, as if it were night.
- If Rain coincides with a Blood Moon, Rain will appear to be red-colored.
See below for a complete list of unique Rain spawns, including Hardmode spawns.
Contents[edit | edit source]
During hardmode blizzards:
| From Zombie variant:
From Umbrella Slime:
From Angry Nimbus:
From Rainbow Slime:
|From Ice Golem:|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Occasionally, on the mobile version, lightning and subsequent thunder will occur during rain. This causes nothing but an aesthetic flash of light and sound.
- You can create 'rain' using Rain Cloud, though this has nothing to do with the Rain event and is purely aesthetic.
- Rain's animation stops when you exit the screen in windowed mode (unlike other animations).
- When it is raining and snowing at the same time, the snow animation stops, but not the rain animation.
- Normal Snow Biome monsters will continue to spawn during a Blizzard.
- Rain can interfere with a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse because of the additional enemies that spawn, making certain enemies from those events rarer.
- If Rain coincides with a Blood Moon walking Goldfish will still turn into Corrupt Goldfish, which don't walk upright in rain like normal goldfish do.
- Angry Nimbuses are more likely to spawn if you are in a location where few other enemy types can spawn. If you are on a platform high enough above the rest of the terrain that ground enemies don't spawn, but not so high that harpies start to spawn, you may see more Nimbuses. This may also be because Nimbuses are clouds so they spawn more often at a certain height.
- Chances for Rain/Blizzard are 1 in 475,200 per game tick. There are 60 ticks per real-world second, or in-game minute. So, throughout a full in-game day, the chance of rain is about 16.6%. This is equivalent to a storm occurring every six in-game days, or every 2 hours and 24 minutes in real-time.
- Weather Radio will detect when it's raining on surface (wherever the player is).
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Actual chances for Rain/Blizzard are 1 in 475,200 per game tick. There are 60 ticks per real-world second, or in-game minute. So, throughout a full in-game day, the chance of rain is about 16.6%. This is equivalent to a storm occurring every six in-game days, or every 2 hours and 24 minutes in real-time.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.3: Blizzards now have a new visual effect.
- 1.2.4: Rain now turns red during a Blood Moon.
- 1.2.3: Slightly reduced chance of rain. Optimized rain performance. Fixed minor bug with rain sounds.
- 1.2: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Sandstorm • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events • Party • Old One's Army|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|