|Use time||39 (Very Slow)|
|Tooltip||Shoots a rainbow that does continuous damage|
The Rainbow Gun is a post-Plantera Hardmode magic weapon found in the Dungeon's Hallowed Chest, once unlocked with a Hallowed Key. It consumes 20 Mana per shot, and launches a rainbow beam that travels in a straight line for a short distance before curving downwards. The rainbow persists for 10 seconds, or until another rainbow is fired, and any enemy in or moving into its path takes 45 damage repeatedly, approximately 5 times per second.
The best possible Modifier for this weapon is Mythical.
- When firing vertically up, the beam will travel straight for approximately 65 blocks before curving.
- When firing 45 degrees, diagonally, the beam will travel approximately 4 blocks before curving.
- When firing horizontally, the beam will travel straight for approximately 35 blocks before curving.
- When firing vertically down, the beam travels straight for a maximum of 750 blocks, then fades.
- The Rainbow Gun is a powerful endgame weapon. It pierces infinitely and delivers its 45 damage repeatedly and rapidly without having to re-fire for 10 seconds. Clusters of unlimited enemies, even post-Plantera Dungeon enemies (with the exception of Paladin and Bosses), can be mowed down all at once with a single firing.
- The Rainbow Gun produces miniscule knockback for each of its rapid hits, which tends to freeze enemies within its field. This is similar to the Vilethorn's effect, though the Rainbow Gun does not travel through blocks.
- When fading, the beam will not fade all at once; but instead along its length similarly to the way it was formed. Firing another beam will cause the first to instantly disappear without the previously stated "fading" effect.
- It can be fired through one tile-wide gaps in walls, floors and ceilings, and will fire through solid one block-thick walls at certain angles, even without standing against the blocks to be penetrated.
- Since it is a magic weapon and not a gun, it does not meet the requirements for the Arms Dealer to move in
- The Rainbow Gun is extremely effective with the Spectre Mask as it does constant damage and since counting as magic damage that puts the set bonus in to play.
- This weapon will pierce infinitely until it fades, and is a great weapon against enemies with multiple segments; such as The Destroyer, as it will damage each section simultaneously inflicting tremendous damage. Because of this, it is potentially possible to defeat the Eater of Worlds or even The Destroyer with a single shot, given the player has appropriate gear and other preparations.
- The Rainbow Gun is also exceptionally powerful against walking creatures or teleporting creatures. In the Hardmode post-Plantera Dungeon, if the player puts their back to the wall, and has only one passage leading into the room they are in, they can lay down a rainbow that eliminates every enemy that comes at them besides the occasional Cursed Skull or Paladin.
- For the same reasons, the weapon is exceptionally potent against invasions.
- 1.2.3: Rainbow duration increased from 5 to 10 seconds.
- 1.2.1: Damage increased from 40 to 45.
- 1.2: Introduced.
|Melee Weapons ( Other) • Ranged Weapons ( Other) • Magic Weapons • Other Weapons|
|Direct Attack||Gem Staves||Amethyst Staff • Topaz Staff • Sapphire Staff • Emerald Staff • Ruby Staff • Diamond Staff|
|Aqua Scepter • Space Gun • Water Bolt • Ice Rod • Crystal Storm • Golden Shower • Book of Skulls • Laser Rifle • Magical Harp • Magic Dagger • Leaf Blower • Frost Staff • Poison Staff • Razorpine • Heat Ray • Shadowbeam Staff • Blizzard Staff • Venom Staff • Unholy Trident|
|Area Effect Attack||Vilethorn • Nettle Burst • Crimson Rod • Nimbus Rod • Demon Scythe • Staff of Earth • Magnet Sphere • Rainbow Gun • Inferno Fork|
|Homing Attack||Bee Gun • Wasp Gun • Bat Scepter • Spectre Staff|
|Bouncing Attack||Cursed Flames • Flower of Fire • Flower of Frost|
|Controlled Attack||Magic Missile • Flamelash • Rainbow Rod|
|Minion Attack||Slime Staff • Pygmy Staff • Raven Staff • Staff of the Frost Hydra|