|Knockback||2.5 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||39 (Very Slow)|
|Tooltip||Shoots a rainbow that does continuous damage|
|Internal Item ID: 1260|
The Rainbow Gun is a Hardmode, post-Plantera magic weapon. It launches a rainbow beam that travels in a straight line for a short distance before curving downwards. The rainbow persists for 10 seconds, or until another rainbow is fired, and any enemy in or moving into its path takes 45 damage repeatedly, approximately 5 times per second. It is found in the Dungeon's Hallowed Chest, which must be unlocked with a Hallowed Key.
Its best Modifier is Mythical.
Physics[edit | edit source]
- Fired vertically up, the beam will travel straight for approximately 65 blocks before curving.
- Fired 45 degrees, diagonally, the beam will travel approximately 4 blocks before curving.
- Fired horizontally, the beam will travel straight for approximately 35 blocks before curving.
- Fired vertically down, the beam travels straight for a maximum of 750 blocks, then fades.
- If fired at a perfect 90 degree angle up or down, the beam travels until it either hits a wall or reaches the end of the map (tested as of v 220.127.116.11).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Rainbow Gun can be considered a powerful endgame weapon. It pierces infinitely and delivers its 45 damage repeatedly and rapidly without having to re-fire for 10 seconds. Clusters of unlimited enemies, even post-Plantera Dungeon enemies (with the exception of Paladin and bosses), can be mowed down all at once with a single firing.
- The Rainbow Gun produces miniscule knockback for each of its rapid hits, which tends to freeze enemies within its field. This is similar to the Vilethorn's effect, though the Rainbow Gun does not travel through blocks.
- When fading, the beam will not fade all at once; but instead along its length similarly to the way it was formed. Firing another beam will cause the first to instantly disappear without the previously stated "fading" effect.
- It can be fired through one tile-wide gaps in walls, floors and ceilings, and will fire through solid one block-thick walls at certain angles, even without standing against the blocks to be penetrated.
- As of update 18.104.22.168, if a Hallowed Key is obtained it can not be used until after defeating Plantera.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- This weapon will pierce infinitely until it fades. It is a great weapon against enemies with multiple segments, such as The Destroyer. It will hit each section simultaneously inflicting tremendous damage. Because of this, it is potentially possible to defeat the Eater of Worlds or even The Destroyer with a single shot, if the player has appropriate gear and has made other preparations.
- The Rainbow Gun is also exceptionally powerful against walking creatures or teleporting creatures. In the Hardmode post-Plantera Dungeon, while aiming towards the only passage leading into the room, the player can lay down a rainbow that eliminates every enemy that enters besides the occasional Cursed Skull or Paladin.
- For the same reasons, the weapon is exceptionally potent against invasions.
- The Rainbow Gun is great against the Celestial Towers, and for the same reason with the Nimbus Rod, it allows for long distanced healing (if the tower is targetable) when you have the Spectre armor with the hood.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 22.214.171.124: Knockback increased from 2 to 2.5
- 1.2.3: Rainbow duration increased from 5 to 10 seconds.
- 1.2.1: Damage increased from 40 to 45.
- 1.2: Introduced.
| Post-Plantera entities |
|Accessories||Celestial Stone • Festive Wings • Ghost Wings • Hercules Beetle • Hoverboard • Master Ninja Gear • Necromantic Scroll • Papyrus Scarab • Pygmy Necklace • Rifle Scope • Sniper Scope • Spooky Wings • Sun Stone • Tabi • Tattered Fairy Wings • Solar Wings • Vortex Booster • Nebula Mantle • Stardust Wings|
|Armor||Beetle armor • Shroomite armor • Spectre armor • Tiki armor • Spooky armor • Solar Flare armor • Vortex armor • Nebula armor • Stardust armor|
|Bosses||Golem • Mourning Wood • Pumpking • Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen • Martian Saucer • Lunatic Cultist • Celestial Tower • Moon Lord|
|Crafting||Autohammer • Ancient Manipulator • Lihzahrd Furnace • Ectoplasm • Spectre Bar • Shroomite Bar • Spooky Wood • Beetle Husk • Luminite Bar • Solar Fragment • Vortex Fragment • Nebula Fragment • Stardust Fragment|
|Enemies||Blue Armored Bones • Bone Lee • Diabolist • Dungeon Spirit • Flying Snake • Giant Cursed Skull • Hell Armored Bones • Lihzahrd • Necromancer • Paladin • Ragged Caster • Skeleton Commando • Skeleton Sniper • Tactical Skeleton|
|Events||Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Event|
|Tools||Picksaw • The Axe • Shroomite Digging Claw • Spectre Pickaxe • Spectre Hamaxe • Spectre Paintbrush • Spectre Paint Roller • Spectre Paint Scraper • Laser Drill • Solar Flare Pickaxe • Solar Flare Axe • Solar Flare Hamaxe • Solar Flare Hammer • Solar Flare Drill • Solar Flare Chainsaw • Vortex Pickaxe • Vortex Axe • Vortex Hamaxe • Vortex Hammer • Vortex Drill • Vortex Chainsaw • Nebula Pickaxe • Nebula Axe • Nebula Hamaxe • Nebula Hammer • Nebula Drill • Nebula Chainsaw • Stardust Pickaxe • Stardust Axe • Stardust Hamaxe • Stardust Hammer • Stardust Drill • Stardust Chainsaw • Drill Containment Unit|
|Weapons||Bat Scepter • Blizzard Staff • Candy Corn Rifle • Chain Gun • Christmas Tree Sword • Elf Melter • Flower Pow • Grenade Launcher • Golem Fist • Heat Ray • Inferno Fork • Jack 'O Lantern Launcher • Keybrand • Leaf Blower • Magnet Sphere • Nettle Burst • North Pole • Paladin's Hammer • Piranha Gun • Possessed Hatchet • Proximity Mine Launcher • Pulse Bow • Pygmy Staff • Rainbow Gun • Raven Staff • Razorpine • Rocket Launcher • Scourge of the Corruptor • Shadowbeam Staff • Sniper Rifle • Snowman Cannon • Spectre Staff • Staff of Earth • Stake Launcher • Stynger • Staff of the Frost Hydra • The Horseman's Blade • Vampire Knives • Venus Magnum • Wasp Gun • Laser Machinegun • Xenopopper • Electrosphere Launcher • Charged Blaster Cannon • Influx Waver • Solar Eruption • Daybreak • Vortex Beater • Phantasm • Nebula Arcanum • Nebula Blaze • Stardust Cell Staff • Stardust Dragon Staff • Star Wrath • Celebration • Last Prism • Lunar Flare • Rainbow Crystal Staff • Lunar Portal Staff • S.D.M.G. • Terrarian • Meowmere|
|Other Items||Temple Key • Biome Key Mold • Biome Key • Wisp in a Bottle|