| PC-Only Content |
This information (or parts of it) applies only to the PC version of Terraria.
The Rainbow Gun
being fired from atop a Dungeon entrance.
The Rainbow Gun is a post-Plantera Hardmode magic weapon found in the Dungeon's Hallowed Chest, once unlocked with a Hallowed Key. It consumes 20 Mana per shot, and launches a rainbow beam that travels in a straight line for a short distance before curving downwards. The rainbow persists for 10 seconds, or until another rainbow is fired, and any enemy in or moving into its path takes 45 damage repeatedly, approximately 5 times per second.
The best possible Modifier for this weapon is Mythical.
- When firing vertically up, the beam will travel straight for approximately 65 blocks before curving.
- When firing 45 degrees, diagonally, the beam will travel approximately 4 blocks before curving.
- When firing horizontally, the beam will travel straight for approximately 35 blocks before curving.
- When firing vertically down, the beam travels straight for a maximum of 750 blocks, then fades.
- The Rainbow Gun is a powerful endgame weapon. It pierces infinitely and delivers its 45 damage repeatedly and rapidly without having to re-fire for 10 seconds. Clusters of unlimited enemies, even post-Plantera Dungeon enemies (with the exception of Paladin and Bosses), can be mowed down all at once with a single firing.
- The Rainbow Gun produces miniscule knockback for each of its rapid hits, which tends to freeze enemies within its field. This is similar to the Vilethorn's effect, though the Rainbow Gun does not travel through blocks.
- When fading, the beam will not fade all at once; but instead along its length similarly to the way it was formed. Firing another beam will cause the first to instantly disappear without the previously stated "fading" effect.
- It can be fired through one tile-wide gaps in walls, floors and ceilings, and will fire through solid one block-thick walls at certain angles, even without standing against the blocks to be penetrated.
When firing at thin walls at certain distances; the beam will clip causing damage to any enemies on the other side.
When the beam strikes grass from a vertical position, it may cause to the grass to play the "destroying" animation and sound several hundred times within seconds before finally disappearing.
At the first end of the beam, there is a small area where mobs take no damage. This is mostly due to an incorrect hitbox.
- The Rainbow Gun is extremely effective with the Spectre Mask as it does constant damage and since counting as magic damage that puts the set bonus in to play.
- This weapon will pierce infinitely until it fades, and is a great weapon against enemies with multiple segments; such as The Destroyer, as it will damage each section simultaneously inflicting tremendous damage.
- The Rainbow Gun is also exceptionally powerful against walking creatures or teleporting creatures. In the Hardmode post-Plantera Dungeon, if the player puts their back to the wall, and has only one passage leading into the room they are in, they can lay down a rainbow that eliminates every enemy that comes at them besides the occasional Cursed Skull or Paladin.
- For the same reasons, the weapon is exceptionally potent against invasions.
- 1.2.3: Rainbow duration increased from 5 to 10 seconds.
- 1.2.1: Damage increased from 40 to 45.
- 1.2: Introduced.