Rod of Discord's cast animation.
The Rod of Discord is a Hardmode tool that instantly teleports the player to the mouse cursor. It has a 1/500 (0.2%) chance of being dropped by Chaos Elementals.
Using the Rod costs no mana or ammunition, however each use inflicts the Chaos State debuff on the player, which causes the player to lose health if they use the Rod rapidly. Chaos State lasts for 8 ( 6) seconds after each use, and depletes 1/6th ( 1/7) of the player's maximum health if the Rod is used again during that period.
- The target location must be at least 3 blocks high and 2 blocks wide. Clicking will always place the player's feet at the mouse position. Thus, in order to teleport into a 3 block-high opening, the player must aim the mouse at the floor. Unsuccessful teleports play the same sound, but do not inflict the debuff.
- Teleporting will cancel fall damage.
- It will not reset Wing flight time.
- Despite it causing no damage to enemies, it can be placed on a Weapon Rack.
- In the Mobile version, when you die from Chaos State the death messages are strange and varying.
- This item is invaluable for dodging the high-damage attacks of bosses.
- Attempting to teleport into the Jungle Temple before Plantera is defeated will not work. It will work after Plantera is defeated, even allowing the player into a locked Jungle Temple without giving up a Temple Key.
- Dying from teleporting during Chaos State will display unique death messages:
- "<Player Name>'s legs appeared where his/her head should be"
- "<Player Name> didn't materialize"
- 188.8.131.52: Teleporting now quickly shifts the viewpoint instead of instantly setting it to the destination point.
- 184.108.40.206: Chaos State damage reduced from one sixth to one seventh of user's total health, and duration decreased from 8 to 6 seconds.
- 220.127.116.11: You can now place the Rod of Discord in the Weapon Rack.
- Chaos State damage reduced from one fifth to one sixth of user's total health, and duration decreased from 10 to 8 seconds.
- Rod of Discord works properly when gravity is flipped.
- Using a Rod of Discord releases all grapples.
- Inflicts Chaos State upon use to deter teleport spamming.
- Can no longer be used to enter a locked Jungle Temple (unless the Lihzahrd Walls at target location are removed).
- Using Rod of Discord near the end of the map will no longer cause you to crash.
- 18.104.22.168: The Rod of Discord now properly drops.
- 1.2: Introduced.