| Rod of Discord
| Max stack
|| Light Green
| Use time
|| Teleports to the position of the mouse
| PC-Only Content |
This information (or parts of it) applies only to the PC version of Terraria.
The Rod of Discord is a rare drop from Chaos Elementals once Hardmode has been activated. Once highlighted in the players Inventory, the player may then click anywhere on the screen to instantly teleport to the current position of the mouse; and doing so costs no mana. The target location must be at least 3 blocks high, and 2 blocks wide for teleport to be successful. The player may teleport into any liquid, including lava.
Using the Rod of Discord will afflict the player with Chaos State for 8 seconds, a debuff that damages the player for a sixth of their maximum life should the rod be used again before the debuff wears out.
In appearance, it resembles a pink Crimson Rod and emits a pink light with a sparkle effect around the player for up to 3 seconds after teleporting.
- Dying from teleporting during Chaos State will display unique death messages:
- "Player's legs appeared where his/her head should be"
- "Player didn't materialize"
- The chance of a Chaos Elemental dropping the Rod of Discord is approximately 0.2%, or 1 in 500.
- Clicking will always place the players feet at the mouse's last position. Thus, in order to teleport into a 3 block high opening, the player must aim the mouse at the floor.
- Attempting to teleport into solid terrain will fail, but will still play the normal teleporting sound. It will not inflict the debuff or damage upon an unsuccessful teleport.
- Teleporting will cancel Fall Damage, but will not reset Jetpack's or Wings' flight times; however, flight time may be lengthened due to both items having a slow-fall mechanic.
- A player may not teleport into an area with a Lihzahrd Brick Wall as the background.
- The Rod of Discord can teleport to pitch-black areas. This allows the player to discover and move to undiscovered caverns without having to dig.
- Using Spelunker Potions and Hunter Potions can aid in finding natural underground and cavern openings to teleport to.
- The Rod of Discord was one of the fastest ways to travel before it was nerfed; on larger resolutions you could teleport ~100+ bricks horizontally per second.
- The Use Time on the Rod of Discord was low enough that, with enough clicking speed, the player could gain altitude. This was confirmed before being nerfed, so attempting this is not recommended.
Teleporting into a sloped block will cause strange motions on the screen, and cannot be (safely) stopped until chaos state wears off.
- 1.2.3: Chaos State debuff will deal 1/6 damage instead of 1/5 and last 2 fewer seconds.
- 184.108.40.206: Inflicts Chaos State upon use to deter teleport spamming and can no longer be used to enter a locked Lihzahrd Temple.
- 220.127.116.11: The Rod of Discord now properly drops.
- 1.2: Introduced.