|Type||Rope – Crafting material|
|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Tooltip||Can be climbed on|
|Buy / Sell||10 / 2|
|Internal Item ID: 965|
|Internal Tile ID: 213|
Rope is a block that primarily provides quick vertical mobility. It can be placed adjacent to blocks in any direction, or in midair where background walls exist. Once placed, Rope is utilized by pressing the up or down control while moving over it. Rope is purchased from the Merchant, and can be found randomly in Chests, Slimes, and Pots.
Visually, the player appears to move along Rope using a mechanical tool with wheels, as though they were riding a rail (this tool appears automatically when utilizing Rope, and does not exist as a separate item).
Vertical movement speed on Rope equals that of a freefall, though moving down via Rope and hitting the ground will not cause Fall Damage. Sideways movement is also possible, by placing adjacent Rope horizontally, but is much slower. Rope can be placed atop existing placed Rope, which will extend the total length of the rope downward, without the player actually having to be at the bottom of the Rope column.
10 Rope items can be crafted into a Rope Coil, which produces the same resulting Rope placement, but cannot be placed directly. It is instead thrown at blocks. On impact, a Rope Coil becomes a placed vertical stack of ten Ropes. If the throw misses blocks, it drops as the Rope Coil item. If it impacts but cannot extend down 10 tiles due to other blocks in the way, the excess Ropes drop as Rope items. Rope Coils cannot be hung in midair from background walls, as the ordinary Rope item can.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Rope is functionally identical Iron Chain and other rope varieties, except the normal type cannot be crafted.
- When placed side by side, the ropes create a lattice like structure.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Rope works very well for building hellevators due to the fact that you can move down it at the same speed as falling and move up it fairly fast as well. It is very easy to obtain and can just be placed at the top of a hellevator over and over again to bring the rope all the way down.
- The player can also place rope even if the top is seemingly anchored to nothing, and can even extend it skyward, requiring only that the original placed Rope is anchored to a block or background wall. For this reason, using rope is an easy way to access a Floating Island. Simply build a rope column while you climb skyward. When you hit the bottom of the island dig a crawl space up into the clouds. Similarly, you can use a rope column to quickly ascend to the surface when you are exploring the ocean.
- The Speed at which you grab a rope is carried on for the duration of your climb. If you were to fly up with Duke Fishron wings and then grab the rope, you will maintain that velocity. The effect can be more clearly seen with the Master Ninja Gear, dash diagonally up while holding up to grab the rope, you will maintain the momentum.