|Dimensions||2 wide ˣ 2 high|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Buy / Sell||20 / 4|
|Internal Item ID: 346|
|Internal Tile ID: 97|
The Safe is a portable storage item with 40 slots to store other items. The Safe, Piggy Bank, and Defender's Forge have the unique ability to be carried while they contain items. It is purchased from the Merchant for 20 each, after Skeletron has been defeated.
Differences from Chests[edit | edit source]
The Safe (and Piggy Bank) functions similarly to other storage items, but with some important differences:
- Each Safe contains the same items (when accessed by the same character), no matter where they are placed within the world. Purchasing multiple Safes will not give you more space, but will offer more points of access to your Safe contents.
- The Safe can be picked up even when it contains items. This makes it a viable way to expand your character's inventory slots. It must be placed in order to add or remove items, and can be freed again with a Pickaxe.
- The Safe's contents are saved with your character data, instead of the World data. You keep its contents with you from world to world, and from server to server.
- The Safe's contents are exclusive to each player, so other players will not have access to items you store there. This makes it useful for item security on PvP servers where stealing is allowed.
- Multiple players can use the same Safe without having access to each others items. Each player will only see their own items when accessing the same Safes.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Coins stored in a Safe, Piggy Bank or a Defender's Forge will not be lost in case of death, even if it is in your character's inventory at the time.
- The Safe was likely added because many players complained about running out of inventory space while looting the dungeon. This might also explain why you can only buy it after defeating Skeletron.
- Money stored in the Piggy Bank, the Safe, and the Defender's forge are added together and are available when purchasing things from NPCs. The total money stored in the three is visible as Savings to the right of a NPC shop window.
- It is highly recommended to store a fair amount of money in your Safe, so whenever you'll meet a Skeleton Merchant and you don't have enough money in your inventory, you'll always have that savings amount available.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- 188.8.131.52: You can now purchase items using all money in your character storage - including money in your inventory, Piggy Bank, and Safe.
- 184.108.40.206: Right-clicking to open a chest, Piggy Bank or Safe will no longer pick up an item from the stack where the cursor is.
- 1.2.3: Piggy Bank and Safe now correctly combine coins when Quick Stacking.
- 1.2: Reduced cost from 50 to 20 and selling price from 10 to 4 . Storage slots increased to 40 (up from 20).
- 1.0.6: Introduced.