|Dimensions||2 wide ˣ 2 high|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Buy / Sell||20 (50 ) / 4 (10 )|
|Internal Item ID: 346|
|Internal Tile ID: 97|
The Safe is a portable storage item with 40 slots to store other items. It has the unique ability (along with the Piggy Bank) to be carried while it contains items. It functions identically to the Piggy Bank, except that it does not require a platform or furniture surface, as it can also be placed directly on Blocks; it also costs 20 (compared to the Piggy Bank at 1 ), it is only available later in the game, and its inventory is separate from the Piggy Bank's. It is sold by the Merchant after Skeletron has been defeated.
Differences from Chests[edit | edit source]
The Safe (and Piggy Bank) functions similarly to other storage items, but with some important differences:
- Each Safe contains the same items (when accessed by the same character), no matter where they are placed within the world. Purchasing multiple Safes will not give you more space, but will offer more points of access to your Safe contents.
- The Safe can be picked up even when it contains items. This makes it a viable way to expand your character's inventory slots. It must be placed in order to add or remove items, and can be freed again with a Pickaxe.
- The Safe's contents are saved with your character data, instead of the World data. You keep its contents with you from world to world, and from server to server.
- The Safe's contents are exclusive to each player, so other players will not have access to items you store there. This makes it useful for item security on PvP servers where stealing is allowed.
- Multiple players can use the same Safe without having access to each others items. Each player will only see their own items when accessing the same Safes.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Coins stored in a Safe or Piggy Bank will not be lost in case of death, even if it is in your character's inventory at the time.
- The Safe was added because many players complained about when they would loot the Dungeon and run out of space, which might be why you can only buy it after defeating Skeletron.
- Money stored in the Piggy Bank and the Safe are added together and are available when purchasing things from NPCs. The total money stored in the two is visible as Savings to the right of a NPC shop window.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- 22.214.171.124: You can now purchase items using all money in your character storage - including money in your inventory, Piggy Bank, and Safe.
- 126.96.36.199: Right-clicking to open a chest, Piggy Bank or Safe will no longer pick up an item from the stack where the cursor is.
- 1.2.3: Piggy Bank and Safe now correctly combine coins when Quick Stacking.
- 1.2: Reduced cost from 50 to 20 and selling price from 10 to 4 . Storage slots increased to 40 (up from 20).
- 1.0.6: Introduced.