Sand Blocks are soil blocks that are subject to gravity (in addition to Slush Blocks and Silt Blocks) and deal damage to any player or enemy they fall on. If the amount of sand falling on the player is significant, the Suffocation debuff will be inflicted until the player escapes.
Sand Blocks are usually found in vast quantities in Desert biomes, and at the bottom of Oceans. Sand in these areas often extends far underground. Sand is a common crafting material, and serves as Ammunition for the Sandgun. It can be stored in the inventory's ammo slots, and has a default damage value of -1, reducing the Sandgun's actual damage by 1. They are also shot as projectile weapons by Antlions.
During Hardmode, any Hallowed, Corrupt, or Crimson block will convert regular Sand Blocks that are up to three tiles away into their respective Hardmode variants: Pearlsand, Ebonsand, and Crimsand. These blocks can also occur pre-Hardmode if the infected biome crosses over into a desert.
- Due to its mechanics, and the fact that it is usually found in large quantities, Sand is especially easy to harvest. Mining any Sand Block supporting additional Sand Blocks will cause an entire stack of Sand Blocks to fall onto the the surface below it. As a result, the player can simply hold down at a single point to harvest a column of Sand
- The ease with which Sand Blocks are harvested makes them prime candidates for making money.
- Sand can be used to create traps for both enemies and players. Sand Blocks can be placed over a Cobweb and when it is destroyed, it releases them. This can be done with other environmental objects besides Cobwebs, like the top of trees or items like Torches.
- Sand is useful in the creation of safe mining shafts. While digging downward, it can be used to create protective walls lining a cave before actually entering.
- Using the Sandgun in conjunction with any armor that provides ammo conservation, or the buff from the Ammo Box, can duplicate Sand Blocks.
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where falling Sand Blocks did not unslope tiles.
- 1.2: Stack limit was raised from 250 to 999.
- Falling Sand clumps are no longer carried by Magic Missiles/Flamelash.
- Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen.
- Sand duplicating bug fixed.
- Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location, This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- 1.0.1: Sand directly under a chest no longer falls due to gravity.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.