|Type||Block – Crafting material|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Debuff duration||Until you escape from being under it|
|Debuff tooltip||Losing life|
|Internal Item ID: 169 , 370 , 1246 , 408|
|Internal Tile ID: 53 , 112 , 234 , 116|
Sand Blocks are soil blocks that are subject to gravity (in addition to Slush Blocks and Silt Blocks) and deal damage to any player or enemy they fall on. If the amount of sand falling on the player is significant, the Suffocation debuff will be inflicted until the player manages to escape.
Regular Sand Blocks are usually found in vast quantities in Desert biomes, and at the shore and the bottom of Ocean biomes. Sand in these areas often extends far Underground. Sand is a common crafting material, and serves as primary ammunition for the Sandgun. It can be stored in the ammo slots located next to your inventory. Sand Blocks have a default damage value of -1, reducing the Sandgun's actual damage by 1. They are also shot as projectile weapons by Antlions.
Ebonsand, Crimsand, and Pearlsand are variants of Sand Blocks that can appear in a world, with Ebonsand appearing in Corruption worlds only, Crimsand in Crimson worlds, and Pearlsand in Hallowed biomes in any Hardmode world.
Ebonsand and Crimsand can appear in pre-Hardmode where any Corruption or Crimson has been overlapped with a Desert or Ocean. Once a world enters Hardmode, Pearlsand Blocks can appear in any Desert or Ocean overlapped by The Hallow. Also, any Corrupt, Crimson, or Hallowed block will convert regular Sand Blocks that are up to three tiles away into their respective variants once Hardmode begins. These sand variants are functionally identical to its regular sand counterpart, but each variant can be used to craft different items and will spread their respective biome to any reachable block they can infect.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Due to its mechanics, and the fact that it is usually found in large quantities, Sand is especially easy to harvest. Mining any Sand Block supporting additional Sand Blocks will cause an entire stack of Sand Blocks to fall onto the the surface below it. As a result, the player can simply hold down
- The ease with which Sand Blocks are harvested makes them prime candidates for making money.
- Sand can be used to create traps for both enemies and players. Sand Blocks can be placed over a Cobweb and when it is destroyed, it releases them. This can be done with other environmental objects besides Cobwebs, like the top of trees or items like Torches.
- Sand is useful in the creation of safe mining shafts. While digging downward, it can be used to create protective walls lining a cave before actually entering.
- Using the Sandgun in conjunction with any armor that provides ammo conservation, or the buff from the Ammo Box, can duplicate Sand Blocks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Crimsand is the only variant of Sand Block in which it displays ragged edges in its inventory sprite, and the only one whose placed texture is not a recolor of the original Sand Block's sprite.
History[edit | edit source]
- 18.104.22.168: Crimsand Blocks can now be crafted into Glass.
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where falling Sand Blocks did not unslope tiles.
- Crimsand is now able to be correctly fired from the Sandgun.
- 1.2: Crimsand introduced.
- Stack limit for all sand variants was raised from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: Ebonsand and Pearlsand introduced.
- 1.0.5: Falling Sand clumps are no longer carried by Magic Missiles/Flamelash.
- Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen.
- 1.0.2: Sand duplicating bug fixed.
- Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location, This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- 1.0.1: Sand directly under a chest no longer falls due to gravity.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.