Sand Blocks are special soil blocks that are subject to gravity, and deal damage to any player or enemy they fall on. They are usually found in vast quantities in Desert biomes, and at the bottom of Oceans. Sand in these areas often extends underground. Sand is a common crafting material, and serves as Ammunition for the Sandgun. It can be stored in the inventory's ammo slots, and has a default damage value of -1, reducing the Sandgun's implied damage by 1.
During Hardmode, any Hallowed, Corrupt, or Crimson block will convert regular Sand Blocks that are up to three tiles away into their respective Hardmode variants: Pearlsand, Ebonsand, and Crimsand. These blocks can also occur pre-Hardmode if the infected biome crosses over into a desert.
Simple setup to farm renewable sand via Antlions
- Due to its mechanics, and the fact that it is usually found in large quantities, Sand is especially easy to harvest. Mining a bottom block will cause an entire stack of Sand Blocks to fall onto the the surface below it. As a result, the player can simply hold down their mouse button at a single point, and the Sand will fall onto the mining tool..
- The ease with which Sand Blocks are harvested makes them prime candidates for making money.
- Because of its unique susceptibility to gravity, Sand can be used to create traps for both enemies and players. Sand Blocks can be placed over a Cobweb and when it is destroyed, it releases them. This can be done with other environmental objects besides Cobwebs, like the top of trees or items like Torches.
- Sand is useful in the creation of safe mining shafts. While digging downward, it can be used to create protective walls lining a cave before actually entering.
- Using the Sandgun in conjunction with Necro Armor or the Ammo Box can duplicate Sand Blocks through their ammunition-conserving bonuses.
- Sand can be harvested in a renewable way too. This method is slower than the conventional method but would primarily be used by players playing permanent worlds to keep their desert(s) intact. This method uses Antlions. See the image to the right.
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where Sand falling was not unsloping tiles.
- 1.2: Stack limit was raised from 250 to 999.
- Falling Sand clumps are no longer carried by Magic Missiles/Flamelash.
- Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen.
- Sand Duping bug fixed.
- Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location, This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- 1.0.1: Sand directly under a chest no longer falls due to gravity.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.