|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
|Max Life||4 hits to destroy with a Wooden Hammer|
- This article is about the environment object. For the usable light source, see Shadow Orb (item).
A Shadow Orb is a floating purple sphere, found deep in the Chasms of the Corruption. Destroying at least three of these orbs (in a single world) will usually be a crucial step in game advancement. This can be done using any Hammer, or Bombs/Dynamite. Shadow Orbs emit a purple, flickering light, similar to Demon Altars.
Multiple Shadow Orbs are found in the Corruption, with each located at the bottom of a Chasm, surrounded by Ebonstone. While mining Ebonstone requires at least a Nightmare Pickaxe, Ebonstone can be converted to normal Stone Blocks with Purification Powder, and mined with a lower-tier Pickaxe. Alternatively, Bombs or Dynamite can be used to destroy Ebonstone.
Consequences of destruction[edit | edit source]
- The first Shadow Orb destroyed will always drop a Musket and some Musket Balls. Carrying the Musket or Musket Balls will fulfill the criteria for the Arms Dealer to arrive.
- Destroying at least one Shadow Orb fulfills one of the two criteria for a Goblin Army to attack (having at least 200 health is the other requirement).
- The third Shadow Orb destroyed summons the Eater of Worlds, which spawns immediately. The Eater of Worlds is re-summoned with every third Shadow Orb destroyed.
- Each Shadow Orb destroyed provides a chance for a Meteorite to land. Each Shadow Orb gives a separate 50% chance of immediately causing a Meteorite to fall when destroyed between midnight (12:00am) and dawn (4:30am). However, destroying any number of Shadow Orbs between dawn and midnight only allows one 50% chance of a Meteorite falling the following midnight.
Messages[edit | edit source]
The following status messages appear upon destruction of Shadow Orbs:
- First Orb: "A horrible chill runs down your spine..."
- Second Orb: "Screams echo around you..."
- Third Orb: "Eater of Worlds has awoken!"
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On the Mobile version, two Shadow Orbs can spawn directly next to each other, with no Ebonstone in between. This is to compensate for the lower amount of chasms.
History[edit | edit source]
- 126.96.36.199: Fixed Shadow Orbs spawning in Crimson worlds by mistake.
- 1.2.4: Not destroying a Shadow Orb at all will no longer block natural Pirate invasions.
- 1.1.2: Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the Eater of Worlds to not spawn after three shadow orbs had been smashed.
- 188.8.131.52: Shadow Orbs will no longer be smashed during world generation.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.