|Max Life||4 hits to destroy with a Wooden Hammer|
- This article is about the environment object. For the usable light source, see Shadow Orb (item).
A Shadow Orb is a floating purple sphere, found deep in the Chasms of The Corruption. Destroying at least three of these orbs (in a single world) will usually be a crucial step in game advancement. This can be done using any Hammer, or Bombs/Dynamite. Shadow Orbs emit purple, flickering light, similar to Demon Altars. They are the Corruption counterpart to the Crimson's Crimson Hearts.
Multiple Shadow Orbs are found in the Corruption, each located at the bottom of a Chasm, surrounded by Ebonstone. While mining Ebonstone requires at least a Nightmare Pickaxe, Ebonstone can be converted to normal Stone Blocks with Purification Powder, and mined with a lower-tier Pickaxe. Alternatively, Bombs or Dynamite can be used to destroy Ebonstone.
Consequences of destruction[edit | edit source]
- Each destroyed Shadow Orb drops items. The first will always drop a Musket and some Musket Balls, and carrying the Musket and/or Musket Balls will fulfill the criteria for the Arms Dealer to arrive.
- Destroying at least one Shadow Orb fulfills one of the two criteria for a Goblin Army to attack (having at least 200 health is the other requirement).
- The third Shadow Orb destroyed summons the Eater of Worlds, which spawns immediately. The Eater of Worlds is re-summoned with every third Shadow Orb destroyed.
- Each Shadow Orb destroyed provides a chance for a Meteorite to land. Each Shadow Orb gives a separate 50% chance of immediately causing a Meteorite to fall when destroyed between midnight (12:00am) and dawn (4:30am). Destroying any number of Shadow Orbs between dawn and midnight only allows one 50% chance of a Meteorite falling the following midnight.
Messages[edit | edit source]
The following status messages appear upon destruction of Shadow Orbs:
- First Orb: "A horrible chill runs down your spine..."
- Second Orb: "Screams echo around you..."
- Third Orb: "Eater of Worlds has awoken!"
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Smashing, Poppet! • "Using explosives or your trusty hammer, smash a Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart in the evil parts of your world."|
|Smash your first Shadow Orb.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In the Mobile version, three Shadow Orbs can spawn directly next to each other, with no Ebonstone in between. This is to compensate for the lower amount of chasms.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Shadow Orb may be a reference to the spherical structure found at the center of a meteorite from the story "The color from space" by H. P. Lovecraft. This may explain why smashing it causes a meteorite to land.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed Shadow Orbs spawning in Crimson worlds by mistake.
- 1.2.4: Not destroying a Shadow Orb at all will no longer block natural Pirate invasions.
- 1.1.2: Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the Eater of Worlds to not spawn after three shadow orbs had been smashed.
- 184.108.40.206: Shadow Orbs will no longer be smashed during world generation.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.