found in Oceans
- Sharks can only spawn within 250 tiles of the map's edges.
- Along with other water enemies, Sharks will ignore players who aren't submerged in at least one tile of water.
- Sharks charge the player and can move quicker than most players. They are highly resistant to knockback, but strong weapons will usually at least halt their advance.
- Rapid-fire weapons and flails tend to be effective. The Trident is highly effective, as it will always hit three times as it passes through the Shark.
- Using a Water Walking Potion to stand at the surface and dive slightly down periodically, you can attract Sharks to within striking distance while staying safe. The Flipper accessory will keep you from sinking to the bottom.
- Construct a spot to stand on, but remain half-inside water. Add a shield of blocks in front of you to one tile above the water's surface. Use an arcing ranged or Flamelash-type weapon to fire around the shield, or a Vilethorn to fire through the shield.
- A similar method is to stay on the Ocean floor, dig a small pit in the sand, and build a shield above you but not connected to the ground, leaving a one-tile gap. Sharks will try to attack but won't fit. You can then attack with impunity. Lacking proper swim gear or Neptune's Shell, a stack of Gills Potions may come in handy for this approach.
One possible approach to safely hunting sharks while breathing on the ocean floor. Active stone blocks deactivated when exiting for item collection on either side
Similar to the Jellyfish
, Sharks will attempt to attack players submerged in a different body of water.