The Shotgun is a Hardmode ranged weapon that fires a spread of three to five bullets, though each firing consumes only one item (bullet) of Ammunition. The Shotgun is an upgrade of the pre-hardmode Boomstick and becomes available for purchase from the Arms Dealer for 25 after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated. The Onyx Blaster and the Tactical Shotgun are an upgrade of the Shotgun.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
- Due to the mechanics of piercing damage, piercing bullets (such as Meteor Shots) will only hit enemies one time, even if all bullets connect.
- Using the Shotgun with Crystal Bullets is effective against large groups.
- Cursed Bullets will help more in PvP, because Crystal Bullets only hit players with their primary projectiles, since players become momentarily invulnerable when damaged, so the shards won't have any effect. The greater primary damage of Cursed Bullets and the Cursed Inferno debuff will deal more damage in this case.
- When using Chlorophyte Bullets, the spread can be negated.
- The Shotgun is a good substitute to the Megashark for killing the Mechanical Bosses.
- The Shotgun is effective at short ranges, but rapidly loses effectiveness at longer ranges since the shots spread out the farther they travel.
- Useful for killing segmented monsters, such as Wyverns, as well as flying enemies with large hitboxes, such as Corruptors.
- 1.3.3: Now used to craft the Onyx Blaster.
- 18.104.22.168: Damage increased from 23 to 24.
- 1.2.3: Damage increased from 21 to 23.
- 1.2: Buy/sell price reduced from 70 / 14 to 25 / 5 .
- 1.1: Introduced.