|Use time||44 (Very Slow)|
|Tooltip||Fires a spread of bullets|
|Buy / Sell||25 / 5|
The Shotgun is a Hardmode ranged weapon that fires a spread of four bullets, though each firing consumes only one item (bullet) of Ammunition. The Shotgun is an upgrade of the pre-hardmode Boomstick and becomes available for purchase from the Arms Dealer for 25 after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated. The Tactical Shotgun is an upgrade of the Shotgun. Its best modifier is Unreal.
- When using the Shotgun with Meteor Shot it will do only the damage of 1 bullet even if you hit the enemy with more than 1 bullet; making the Shotgun less effective with Meteor Shot.
- When using Chlorophyte Bullets, the spread can be negated.
- Using the Shotgun with Crystal Bullets is effective against large groups.
- Cursed Bullets will help more in PvP, because Crystal Bullets only hit players with their primary projectiles, since players become momentarily invulnerable when damaged, so the flyoff shards won't have any effect. The greater primary damage of Cursed Bullets and the Cursed Inferno debuff will deal more damage in this case.
- Using the Shotgun with Chlorophyte Bullets is extremely effective against single targets due to their homing effect.
- The Shotgun is effective at short ranges, but rapidly loses effectiveness at longer ranges since the shots spread out the farther they travel.
- Useful for killing segmented monsters, such as Wyverns, as well as flying enemies with large hitboxes, such as Corruptors.
- 1.2.3: Damage increased from 21 to 23.
- 1.2: Buy/sell price reduced from 70 / 14 to 25 / 5 .
- 1.1: Introduced.