|Damage||32 / 70-85|
|Max Life||4400 / 8800|
0 (while spinning)
|Debuff duration||3-5 seconds / 6-10 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Cannot regenerate life|
|Internal NPC ID: 35|
|AI Type||Skeletron Hand AI|
|Damage||20 / 44|
|Max Life||600 / 1560|
|Debuff duration||.5-1 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Movement speed is reduced|
|Internal NPC ID: 36|
- Not to be confused with Skeleton, an enemy found underground, or Skeletron Prime, the Hardmode version.
If you enter the Dungeon before killing Skeletron, Dungeon Guardians spawn once you reach 0 depth, generally killing any player with a single hit. Additionally, if the Dungeon Guardian is killed, access is still not allowed to the Dungeon.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
Skeletron is summoned by speaking to the Old Man at the Dungeon's entrance, at night, who will die and spawn Skeletron when you select the “curse” option. If you speak to the Old Man during the day, he will ask you to return at night. You will only be able to summon Skeletron once per night, as the Old Man will not respawn until day.
Skeletron can be summoned repeatedly this way until it is defeated. Once it is defeated, the Old Man will no longer appear, due to the fact that as the player frees the Clothier s curse, he can move in a town, as long as there is an empty house for him to live in. Skeletron can be re-summoned thereafter once the player acquires the Clothier Voodoo Doll. Equipping the Doll allows the player to kill the Clothier, which summons Skeletron, but this must be done at night.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Skeletron is a large floating skeleton head with two independent floating hands. All parts can travel through blocks, and will attempt to make contact with the player to inflict damage. Each part can be killed independently, but killing the head is all that's required to defeat Skeletron.
Skeletron alternates between two attacks:
- The head remains above while his hands slash at the player.
- The head spins, dealing significant damage, but its defense drops to zero.
Skeletron has an additional attack in expert mode:
- Skeletron's Head is near invincible, but after losing both of his hands his head becomes vulnerable and will begin to shoot homing skulls resembling Cursed Skulls at the player, increasing in frequency as his health gets closer to 0.
If the player takes too long to kill him and dawn arrives, Skeletron will act like a Dungeon Guardian, performing a head spin attack with very high damage, which will usually kill any players remaining in the vicinity quickly (it is still possible to kill him, but players are at an extreme disadvantage). Skeletron remains in this form until dying or despawning, even if players manage to avoid dying until the following dusk.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Boned is the achievement/trophy (playstation) you earn for defeating Skeletron for the first time.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Old Man who stands in front of the Dungeon can be killed if his health is depleted. However, this does not count as a Skeletron kill, and he will respawn. Entering the Dungeon and descending below 0 depth will still allow Dungeon Guardians to spawn.
- Skeletron disappears when all nearby players are dead, and the Old Man will respawn the following day.
- If Skeletron has not been killed by dawn, it will get increased defense and damage, making it very much like the Dungeon Guardian.
- If Skeletron is killed in its daytime form, it will still drop the normal Skeletron loot, open the dungeon, and grant the Boned achievement.
- In Expert Mode, if both of Skeletron's hands are taken out then he will start shooting homing skulls at the player.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If a Magic Mirror is used, Skeletron won't follow the player back to spawn, and will despawn instead.
- Don't jump onto Skeletron's head multiple times with the Slime Mount, as going too high will cause him to despawn (also, in Space the slowed falling will make it almost impossible to get back down past him). However, inside of the Dungeon entrance the Slime Mount can be a valuable tool.
- Going fast enough on a Minecart can cause the hands to despawn, leaving only the head to fight.
- Using any ricochet weapon (such as the Water Bolt found in the Dungeon) is extremely useful.
- With multiple players, it's a good idea to set the spawn point (a bed) near the Dungeon, so that players can simply rejoin the fight if they die.
- In Expert mode, Skeletron has over 100 defense until the hands are defeated.
- In Expert mode, if the player keeps moving in different directions, most homing skulls will miss, also note that they do not travel through walls.
- In Expert mode, it's also a good idea to use a Yo-Yo and an overhead barrier, however quick movement is needed to avoid it when it starts to spin.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Assuming that the player is at 5 ft. 9 1/2 in. heightwise, Skeletron's Head would be about 11 feet tall and 8 feet wide. The Hands would be 10 feet tall and 7 feet across.
- At one point, Skeletron heads protected the Dungeon, but when one was killed, it would count as killing Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardians were introduced to protect the Dungeon instead.
- With his hands combined, Skeletron has even more health than the Expert mode Wall of Flesh.
- Skeletron is the only boss not to have any guaranteed drops (with the exception of the Lesser Healing Potions and Treasure Bag if in Expert mode).
- Dungeon Guardians have the same head as Skeletron.
History[edit | edit source]
- 184.108.40.206: Skeletron now spawns on the Clothier when using a Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- Can now be re-summoned with the Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- Has additional item drops. (Previously only dropped Lesser Healing Potions and money.)
- Head health decreased from 5000 to 4400 but damage increased from 30 to 32.
- Hands health decreased from 800 to 600, defense decreased from 18 to 14 and damage decreased from 25 to 20.
- Head health decreased from 6000 to 5000, defense decreased from 12 to 10 and damage decreased from 35 to 30.
- Hands health decreased from 1200 to 800 and damage decreased from 30 to 25.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.