0 (while spinning)
|Lesser Healing Potion (5-15)||100%|
|Book of Skulls||10.50%|
|Internal NPC ID: 35|
|AI Type||Skeletron Hand AI|
|Internal NPC ID: 36|
- Not to be confused with Skeleton, an enemy found underground, or Skeletron Prime, the Hardmode version.
"Please, no, stranger. You'll only get yourself killed!"
If you enter the Dungeon before killing Skeletron, Dungeon Guardians spawn once you reach 0 depth, generally killing any player with a single hit.
Skeletron is summoned by speaking to the Old Man at the Dungeon's entrance, at night, who will die and spawn Skeletron when you select the “curse” option. If you speak to the Old Man during the day, he will ask you to return at night.
Skeletron can be summoned repeatedly this way until it is defeated. Once it is defeated, the Old Man will no longer appear. Skeletron can be re-summoned thereafter once the player acquires the Clothier Voodoo Doll. Equipping the Doll allows the player to kill the Clothier, which summons Skeletron.
Skeletron is a large floating skeleton head with two independent floating hands. All parts can travel through blocks, and will attempt to make contact with the player to inflict damage. Each part can be killed independently, but killing the head is all that's required to defeat Skeletron.
Skeletron alternates between two attacks:
- The head remains above while his hands slash at the player.
- The head spins, dealing significant damage, but its defense drops to zero.
If the player takes too long to kill him and dawn arrives, Skeletron will act like a Dungeon Guardian, performing a head spin attack with very high damage, which will usually kill any players remaining in the vicinity quickly (it is still possible to kill him, but players are at an extreme disadvantage).
- The Old Man who stands in front of the Dungeon can be killed if you manage to deplete his health. However, this does not count as a Skeletron kill, and he will respawn. Entering the Dungeon will still allow Dungeon Guardians to spawn.
- Skeletron disappears when all nearby players are dead, and the Old Man will respawn the following day.
- With multiple players, it's a good idea for softcore and mediumcore characters to set up a Bed near the Dungeon, so that they can simply rejoin the fight if they die.
- If you use a Magic Mirror, Skeletron won't follow you back to your spawn, and despawn instead.
- Assuming that the player is at 5 ft. 9 1⁄2 in. heightwise, Skeletron's Head would be about 11 feet tall and 8 feet wide. The Hands would be 10 feet tall and 7 feet across.
- Skeletron Heads used to protect the Dungeon, but when one was killed, it would count as killing Skeletron, so they purposed the Dungeon Guardians to protect the Dungeon instead.
- 126.96.36.199: Skeletron now spawns on the Clothier when using a Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- Can now be re-summoned with the Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- Has additional item drops. (Previously only dropped Lesser Healing Potions and money.)
- Head health decreased from 5000 to 4400 and damage increased from 30 to 32.
- Hands health decreased from 800 to 600, defense decreased from 18 to 14 and damage decreased from 25 to 20.
- Head health decreased from 6000 to 5000, defense decreased from 12 to 10 and damage decreased from 35 to 30.
- Hands health decreased from 1200 to 800 and damage decreased from 30 to 25.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.