|AI Type||Skeletron Prime Head AI|
94 (while spinning)
48 (while spinning)
|Soul of Fright (20-40)||100%|
|Greater Healing Potion (5-15)||100%|
|Hallowed Bar (15-35)||100%|
|Skeletron Prime Mask||14.29%|
|Skeletron Prime Trophy||10%|
- For strategies on defeating Skeletron Prime, see Guide:Skeletron Prime strategies.
"You feel the air getting colder around you..."
Skeletron Prime is a Hardmode Mechanical Boss which is a much harder version of Skeletron. He is summoned with the Mechanical Skull at night. Players have until dawn to kill him. He can also randomly spawn at dusk in Hardmode if he has not yet been defeated, in this case signaling his approach via the chat message, "You feel the air getting colder around you" or "The air is getting colder around you".
- Prime Cannon fires flashing bombs that do not destroy blocks and isn't always pointed at a player.
- Prime Laser shoots Death Lasers similar to those of Retinazer and The Destroyer, and is always pointed at a player.
- Prime Saw and the Prime Vice swipe around, dealing large amounts of melee damage.
Skeletron Prime's head is immune to the Cursed Inferno debuff, and performs a headspin attack similar to the pre-hardmode Skeletron's headspin attack. During this, his damage and defense double (unlike Skeletron, whose defense reduces to 0). The Prime Saw homes in at players during this phase, even going hundreds of feet away in some cases.
Like Skeletron, if he is not dead by dawn he will begin to dish out instant kills and will take only 1 damage from attacks (2 for critical hits).
- While it is possible to continue the fight during the day without dying, Skeletron Prime will continually headspin and barely take any damage (1 damage per hit and 2 damage per crit), while killing instantly. Due to the similarities, he is sometimes referred to as Dungeon Guardian Prime. He will do this indefinitely, even if the next night comes before he's gone.
- The bombs fired by the Prime Cannon will only detonate if they hit solid blocks (they will not destroy blocks). They pass through platforms without detonating.
- If the player is deep enough underground, Skeletron Prime will not spawn randomly, even when the chat message indicates he's coming.
- Using a Mechanical Skull while Skeletron Prime is already spawned can cause it to headspin continuously as if dawn has arrived, instantly killing players.
- Standing on platforms far from blocks can mostly nullify the effects of the Prime Cannon, as its projectiles only detonate on blocks, while passing through platforms harmlessly.
- If you have beaten Duke Fishron, the Flairon is very effective.
- Skeletron Prime can be the most profitable boss in the game, as the Souls of Fright can be crafted into Naughty Present to summon the Frost Moon, netting large amounts of money per 5 souls.
- The Prime part of his name may be a reference to Optimus Prime from Transformers, the "Prime" suffix having become common for large robotic entities in fiction since.
- The boss Cortez, from "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door" may have influenced Skeletron Prime, as Cortez's final form is a floating skull surrounded by four different levitating weapons, all of different attack powers and methods.
- For changes that affect all the mechanical bosses, see Mechanical_Bosses#History.
- 1.2.3: Increased health, damage and defense of most parts. May now drop Skeletron Prime Mask. Fixed bug where you can respawn skeletron prime if you kill its prime cannon hand and not skeletron prime himself.
- Now has a chance to spawn during hardmode with the message: "You feel the air getting colder around you...".
- Will now drop 20-40 Souls of Fright, instead of 20-30. Also has a chance to drop Skeletron Prime Trophy.
- Health, damage and defense of all parts and head reduced.
- 1.1: Introduced.