|AI Type||Skeletron Prime Head AI|
94 (while spinning)
48 (while spinning)
|Soul of Fright (25-40)||100%|
|Greater Healing Potion (5-15)||100%|
|Hallowed Bar (15-30)||100%|
|Skeletron Prime Mask||14.29%|
|Skeletron Prime Trophy||10%|
|Internal NPC ID: 127|
"You feel the air getting colder around you..."
Skeletron Prime is a Hardmode Mechanical Boss which is a much harder version of Skeletron. He is summoned with the Mechanical Skull at night. Players have until dawn to kill him. He can also randomly spawn at dusk in Hardmode if he has not yet been defeated, in this case signaling his approach via the chat message, "You feel the air getting colder around you" or "The air is getting colder around you".
- Prime Cannon fires Smoke bombs that do not destroy blocks, usually up into the air rather than directly at the player.
- Prime Laser shoots Death Lasers similar to those of Retinazer and The Destroyer, and. the Wall of Flesh, and is always pointed at a player.
- Prime Saw and the Prime Vice swipe around dealing hefty amounts of damage on contact.
Skeletron Prime will occasionally enter into a "Rage Mode," in which his attacks become more aggressive:
- Skeletron's Head will grow spikes and start spinning towards the player slowly. Damage and defense is doubled.
- Prime Cannon will aim at the player directly and fire rapidly.
- Prime Laser will fire more frequently.
- Prime Saw will begin homing directly towards the player's location.
- Prime Vice becomes more aggressive and frequently lunges towards the player.
Prime himself is much more mobile than his predecessor, and will regularly move off-screen, which can make him difficult to hit reliably with ranged weapons.
Like Skeletron, if he is not dead by dawn he will begin to dish out instant kills and will take only 1 damage from attacks (2 for critical hits).
- While it is possible to continue the fight during the day without dying, Skeletron Prime will continually headspin and barely take any damage (1 damage per hit and 2 damage per critical), while killing players instantly. Due to the similarities, he is sometimes referred to as Dungeon Guardian Prime. He will do this indefinitely, even if the next night comes before he's gone.
- The bombs fired by the Prime Cannon will only detonate if they hit solid blocks (they will not destroy blocks). They pass through platforms without detonating.
- If the player is deep enough underground, Skeletron Prime will not spawn randomly, even when the chat message indicates he's coming.
- Using a Mechanical Skull while Skeletron Prime is already spawned can cause it to headspin continuously as if dawn has arrived, instantly killing players.
- In the mobile version, each limb is treated as if it was a boss on its own, but does not have its own summoning message. When you defeat a limb, it says (name of limb) has been defeated! Also will drop hearts and Greater Healing Potions.
- If (in singleplayer) the player dies, Skeletron Prime will not come back.
- Unlike the Skeletron, Skeletron Prime's defense raises when it is spinning.
- Skeletron Prime's limbs (for whatever reason) are not immune to the Cursed Inferno debuff, while Skeletron Prime himself is.
- Standing on platforms far from blocks can mostly nullify the effects of the Prime Cannon, as its projectiles only detonate on blocks, while passing through platforms harmlessly.
- Skeletron Prime can be the most profitable boss in the game, as the Souls of Fright can be crafted into Naughty Present to summon the Frost Moon, netting large amounts of money per 5 souls.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- For changes that affect all the mechanical bosses, see Mechanical_Bosses#History.
- 1.2.3: Increased health, damage and defense of most parts. May now drop Skeletron Prime Mask. Fixed bug where you can respawn skeletron prime if you kill its prime cannon hand and not skeletron prime himself.
- Now has a chance to spawn during hardmode with the message: "You feel the air getting colder around you...".
- Will now drop 20-40 Souls of Fright, instead of 20-30. Also has a chance to drop Skeletron Prime Trophy.
- Health, damage and defense of all parts and head reduced.
- 1.1: Introduced.